Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G9 Clank in the case (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170707)

paka 11-02-2020 01:54 PM

G9 Clank in the case

I just rebuilt my G9 engine and have it almost all put together, but when I turn the crank I hear a small clank sound from inside. All I can think of is that the balancer shaft is a hair off and bumping slightly against the crankshaft weight. Guess I will take the side cover off again and look closer. Maybe I just need to move the balancer gear one tooth. But I thought I would ask the forum for input first before I take it apart again and send for another gasket. Thanks!

raydhd 11-02-2020 04:07 PM

Re: G9 Clank in the case

IMHO The thing to do is to open it up and find what is up

paka 11-03-2020 12:10 AM

Right. Thank-you. Glad I didn't put it back in the cart yet.

paka 11-03-2020 06:11 PM

Took the cover off and looked very carefully at the clearance between the crank and balance shafts and found good clearance. The "clank" seems to just come from gears meshing in certain place(s). Maybe won't hear it when engine is running with oil in it. This engine has seen a lot of use so there may be a little wear here and there. Will get a new gasket and put it back together. Hope it works.

slonomo 11-03-2020 06:36 PM

Any noise during this stage is no bueno. What all did you replace? I would not run that engine with a clank in the tank. If you break the crank that will surely stank.

raydhd 11-03-2020 11:24 PM

Did you look carefully at the crankshaft /rod bearing fit ?

paka 11-05-2020 07:54 PM

The cart smoked something awful, so I replaced the oil seal on the intake valve, piston and rings, and crankshaft oil seals. I removed the other two shafts and checked to see if there was any play between the crankshaft and the connecting rod and couldn't feel or hear any.
So I need to get it back together and quit staring at it. Snow coming in a few days. If it runs and no smoke, muy bueno! Many thanks for your help!

sho305 11-07-2020 05:29 PM

Eventually these engines the cam wears on the cover and there is no bearing there to replace, it can cause a noise. You should be able to watch the rockers move and it would make sound as they move I would think, but not sure.

paka 11-19-2020 09:26 AM

Thanks for all the helpful comments. Well, I went ahead and with my grandson put it all back together, and he carried it out to the cart. We got it all connected, and he stepped on the pedal. It started right up and ran without the big smoke clouds. Yay! We idled it a little at medium speed, and then he went for short rides, still not at full speed yet. A little blue smoke, but I think that may go away once the rings are seated, etc. Happy day. Happy grandson. Happy grandpa. Thanks again.