Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   1988 EZ GO Marathon won't run (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=130207)

Kickinrocks 05-17-2017 11:11 PM

1988 EZ GO Marathon won't run

Hi all! New to the group and looking forward to the abundance of advice... I have just acquired a 1988 EZ GO Marathon and cannot get it to run without spraying starting fluid in the carb. It will run for a few seconds, then quit. It has fuel, it has spark, fuel pump seems to be getting fuel to the carb, but there is no acceleration at all...any ideas?

clr.R4tch3t 05-17-2017 11:53 PM

Re: 1988 EZ GO Marathon won't run

Define 'getting fuel and spark'.. if you crank it over for 20 seconds and pull the plug, is it wet or dry? You say you can't get it to run without starting fluid, that tells me there is no fuel. I would start with a carb rebuild (or possibly replacement) and see how that helps. Does your cart have the year appropriate carb and muffler on it?

Kickinrocks 05-18-2017 12:31 AM

If I crank it awhile, plug is dry, but fuel pump is delivering fuel to the carb...checked the float bowl and there is fuel in it (carb was pulled and cleaned) with spark plug grounded I can see a definite spark... I did do a compression test and only got a reading of 83, so I'm wondering if this is the culprit

GolfCartMafia 05-18-2017 03:06 AM

The muffler could be plugged, you might need to BBQ it. Your compression is very low, it needs to be over 100, anything lower than that needs to have new rings. If your getting a good fuel flow and the carburetor has been cleaned and is operating properly I would try removing the muffler just to see if it will stay running, its going to be loud but at least that would give you more of an answer, plus if runs you can get the motor warmed up, and then take another compression test. You shouldn't have to completely remove the muffler, just remove the 2 bolts and gaskets were the exhaust pipe and muffler come together.

Kickinrocks 05-18-2017 10:16 AM

Thanks! I'll give that a try... based on what I'm reading here so far, I may not be getting the vacuum needed to draw the fuel from the carb to the combustion chamber..

clr.R4tch3t 05-18-2017 09:07 PM

I would try running a compression test with the exhaust off and see if it bumps up. I would also check your crank seals, they play a big role in crank case pumping efficiency. Will it run in reverse? Sometimes the seals work better backwards with wear.

I still think there may be a carb problem.. if you crank it over with your hand over the carb, do you feel a decent vacuum pull through it?

Kickinrocks 05-18-2017 10:40 PM

Hi, got it running today, but only because the choke was on... drives forward and backwards, but seems like not a lot of power. I'm thinking time for a new carb and go from there.

Kickinrocks 05-18-2017 10:44 PM

So while on the subject of carbs, where's a good place to buy a replacement?

Dabble Inn 05-19-2017 08:43 AM

Looks like ya made some progress, but it won't have any power with only 83 lbs compression. That test may have been with a dry cylinder?? Now that you're getting it wet I think you should do another test to see if it improved....

Carbs for these have become unbelievably inexpensive. Google it and you'll find them for around $20, and 2 day free ship if ya have prime.