Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   1981 G1 carb info (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=23182)

bisquit476 09-14-2009 05:45 AM

1981 G1 carb info

I just picked up my 1st cart, and need a little help on setting up the carb. Does anyone have the service manual reference for setting up the float, needle valve's, etc. Thanks in advance for any help. Haven't worked on 2 cycle stuff in 17 years, and wow I CRS:lhmo: about them.

FASTANDSTUPID 09-14-2009 08:02 PM

Re: 1981 G1 carb info

Are you starting with a new carb, or do you have the original?

bisquit476 09-15-2009 06:56 AM

As far as I know it's the original, but I removed it, took it apart, made sure all the passageways were clear, the jets look fine, and put it back together. The float was set to be all the way up before the bowl valve shut off, which if I remember correctly is too high, so I repositioned it to be about level when it shut off the fuel supply. Reinstalled the carb, got the cart running, but it has a hard time accelerating from idle. Tried adjusting the low speed jet, but no help. By using the choke and playing with the throttle I got the cart to rev up, but when I reduced the throttle to idle, fuel started coming out of the vent tube. The float is still set too high? But then I was looking at other posts in this section and saw the post about the exhaust bbq, and am now wondering if I need to cook that before working on the carb anymore.

lobo 09-20-2009 07:54 PM

I think your neddle valve is bad ,I would replace it with a new one and adust your float and try again.As far as BBQing the muffler you can't hurt anything.Good luck!

bisquit476 09-20-2009 11:00 PM

Actually that is new, it was missing when I got the cart. So when I ordered the filters, I got one of those also. One thing I didn't do though was look real close at the seat for the valve, do you think with the needle valve vibrating out that maybe the seat is screwed up. Do you think I should just get a new carb and quit screwing around? Thanks for your input, Bill.

bisquit476 09-22-2009 09:35 AM

Ok, since the manual hasn't arrived yet, I called a local repair guy to look at the cart, he did the usual checks, and seems to think it's the reed valves. Has anyone else had those go bad? Can they go bad?

FASTANDSTUPID 09-22-2009 12:26 PM

Yes reed valves can and do go bad. If you pull your assy out and hold it up to the light you should not be able through the edges where the reeds lay down on the housing. Also if there is any obvious damage to the reeds they will need to be replaced.
The reeds keep the gasses in the combustion chamber from blowing back out of the carb.

bisquit476 09-22-2009 12:37 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, we should know by tomorrow, he ordered a set in and they'll be replaced. Hopefully that's what it is, and I can go ye-haa. Thanks guys.

hatchdaddy 08-18-2012 08:28 PM

bisquit, did the reed valves solve the problem? I am having an issue with motor reving just fine while parked and jacked up but once i put it on the ground and start riding it starts to spit and spudder and not open up. Just curious. thanks