Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   RXV RoyPow Conversion (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=171914)

trevorg7 12-15-2020 11:28 AM

RXV RoyPow Conversion

5 Attachment(s)
I pulled the trigger last week and converted my RXV from lead acid to lithium. I've been reading, following threads here for about 6 months and decided on the RoyPow S51105.

My 2016 RXV 48v was running 4 Trojan 12v T-1275’s and is generally stock minus high speed tuning to the Curtis AC Controller, 12 inch wheels w/215/50 tires. Primary use is golf, 2 mile drive to the course on flat pavement, play 18+, 5 days a week, then 2 miles home. Accessories: 12v wetsounds soundbar (run through a voltage reducer), 48v street legal LED light kit and usb charger. With this set up I would run between 21-23 MPH on flat pavement with 2 people and golf bags: using Waze to measure speed.

Install took just under 2 hours, pictures below.

Observations so far:
  • Per the Trojan spec sheet, I've reduced weight by 250#
  • Same flat ground trip to golf course, speed ran between 22-25 MPH. I thought this might be higher but not disappointed. This was immediately after install with 4 of 10 bars on the SOC meter.
  • Biggest performance change is low/mid-range torque and acceleration. It is very noticeable between 0-15 MPH.
  • Made the same drive and played 18 the day after install, SOC meter started fully charged and had dropped 2 bars upon arriving home.
  • Rapid charger charged from 4 bars to 10 within 3 hours.

Bama Brad 12-15-2020 01:04 PM

Re: RXV RoyPow Conversion

Nice!!! Now I know what I need to use the extra space for I have since upgrading mine. Truck (cart) whiskey! Change out for little 6-packer in summer.
I know you'll love this thing, I have and wish I hadn't waited so long. Well worth the cost.

wingnut2000 12-15-2020 01:20 PM

Nice I have a 2015 RXV and I think I am about to do this to mine. I have 6 trojans 8v and the tray is open on the bottom so I guess I will have to make a solid bottom for this setup which should be easy. How much did this set up cost?

Bama Brad 12-15-2020 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnut2000 (Post 1790150)
Nice I have a 2015 RXV and I think I am about to do this to mine. I have 6 trojans 8v and the tray is open on the bottom so I guess I will have to make a solid bottom for this setup which should be easy. How much did this set up cost?

I paid $2200 for the 105ah in spring, included battery, charger and BMS. May have gone up a little since then. The problem is finding someone that is reasonable near you. I drove 2 hours to FL panhandle to get mine.

Adjake 12-15-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingnut2000 (Post 1790150)

We have brackets that should work for this. Should be the same as a txt bracket kit for Roy pow.

Lightning8U 12-15-2020 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorg7 (Post 1790116)
I pulled the trigger last week and converted my RXV from lead acid to lithium. I've been reading, following threads here for about 6 months and decided on the RoyPow S51105.

My 2016 RXV 48v was running 4 Trojan 12v T-1275’s and is generally stock minus high speed tuning to the Curtis AC Controller, 12 inch wheels w/215/50 tires. Primary use is golf, 2 mile drive to the course on flat pavement, play 18+, 5 days a week, then 2 miles home. Accessories: 12v wetsounds soundbar (run through a voltage reducer), 48v street legal LED light kit and usb charger. With this set up I would run between 21-23 MPH on flat pavement with 2 people and golf bags: using Waze to measure speed.

Install took just under 2 hours, pictures below.

Observations so far:
  • Per the Trojan spec sheet, I've reduced weight by 250#
  • Same flat ground trip to golf course, speed ran between 22-25 MPH. I thought this might be higher but not disappointed. This was immediately after install with 4 of 10 bars on the SOC meter.
  • Biggest performance change is low/mid-range torque and acceleration. It is very noticeable between 0-15 MPH.
  • Made the same drive and played 18 the day after install, SOC meter started fully charged and had dropped 2 bars upon arriving home.
  • Rapid charger charged from 4 bars to 10 within 3 hours.

Trevor - Great write up

Thanks and I hope you enjoy it for many years to come!

Lightning8U 12-15-2020 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bama Brad (Post 1790161)
I paid $2200 for the 105ah in spring, included battery, charger and BMS. May have gone up a little since then. The problem is finding someone that is reasonable near you. I drove 2 hours to FL panhandle to get mine.

Just FYI, current, as of December 2020, RoyPow's MAP :thumbup:

Lightning8U 12-15-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adjake (Post 1790211)
We have brackets that should work for this. Should be the same as a txt bracket kit for Roy pow.

RoyPow has very different brackets for EZGO TXT vs EZGO RXV--they are not the same. I can post photos of the two EZGO versions later this week.

Make sure you get the appropriate brackets from your dealer if you buy one! Make no sense to pay good money for a bolt-in, plug-and-play solution that is not bolt-in, plug, and play! :thumbup:

Adjake 12-16-2020 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lightning8U (Post 1790239)
RoyPow has very different brackets for EZGO TXT vs EZGO RXV--they are not the same. I can post photos of the two EZGO versions later this week.

Make sure you get the appropriate brackets from your dealer if you buy one! Make no sense to pay good money for a bolt-in, plug-and-play solution that is not bolt-in, plug, and play! :thumbup:

Yes, they do. He has 6-8volts in an RXV. So like I said we should have the correct brackets for this but there could be minor differences..

mccainc 01-04-2021 12:08 PM

Have you had any issues with cutout at high loads (acceleration, hills, etc.)? I’m considering upgrading my Leaf setup as they are near end of life and I’m looking for more range. The reason I ask is that Roypow shows on their website that max discharge rate for that model is 200A for 10s. My RXV with the stock controller can draw up to 225A for brief periods and I’m sure that will only increase if I upgrade the controller eventually. The S51105P on the other hand advertises a max discharge rate of 315A for 30s which seems better suited to modified carts, although it’s physically bigger so would have to check fit. Appreciate the feedback.