Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Removing brake drums (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=135609)

WVGOLFCART 10-03-2017 09:04 PM

Removing brake drums

What is a good way to remove stuck brake drums that won't turn? I tried using the threaded bolts like the shop manual shows but the threads in the drum just stripped out when I tried. I can't rotate the drum to adjust the brakes first either as the adjusters are stuck. I would appreciate any suggestions as I don't want to damage the backplate if I have to pry them off. Thanks.

Cavemandrew 10-03-2017 09:15 PM

Re: Removing brake drums

Has it been setting a long time with the brake set? Have you tryed tapping foward on where the cables hook up?

justwondering 10-03-2017 09:37 PM

I used pb blaster on them several times a day over a 3-day weekend.
Tapped all the way around with a small sledge each time I blasted them.

One side came out easy with the bolt

The other side took all 3 days and I eventually got it to loosen just a tiny bit from the front. I wound up having to tap them from the backside. Used a bolt so I wouldn't nick the edges.

It was tedious, but it finally came loose. Lots of rust on the passenger side for some reason.

ThreeCW 10-03-2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WVGOLFCART (Post 1438221)
What is a good way to remove stuck brake drums that won't turn? I tried using the threaded bolts like the shop manual shows but the threads in the drum just stripped out when I tried. I can't rotate the drum to adjust the brakes first either as the adjusters are stuck. I would appreciate any suggestions as I don't want to damage the backplate if I have to pry them off. Thanks.

You may have luck using a combination of a good penetrating lubricant and a heat gun. I find that the combination of heat with a penetrating lubricant has been effective in removing rusted bolts ... it also may also be effective on your brake drums. Heating the drums expands them and also makes the penetrating oil more effective. Failing that, hammering on the drums may also help to loosen them.

cgtech 10-04-2017 12:13 AM

Ok, just plan now on buying new drums (worn out drums is why you are here now). Disconnect the brake cables at the wheel/brake end of the deal. Tap in all directions with the hammer. May still have to pry, but thats the lowest option.

Golf cart guy 10-06-2017 08:43 PM

Ill add to CG answer, just take a ball peen hammer and break the drum off, its really kinda simple