Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G9 Questions (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=152614)

biglug 05-07-2019 09:10 AM

G9 Questions

So I got my cart running and charging now, When I got it I noticed that the carburetor was not hooked to the air box so I hooked it up and then it would not run with out keeping the chock half way on. So I just unhooked it and drove 5 miles or so to make sure all my other fixes where working. 1 of the things I fixed was the valve cover was leaking oil bad so I cleaned it all up and put in a new gasket. When I stopped from the drive I noticed that there was oil all over it seams to be pushing up the crank breather hose. So I took out the air cleaner and hooked up the air box and it ran fine and seem to stop leaking oil. My questions is with the air box not hooked up is there no vacuum to the crank and is that why it was leaking oil out of the crank breather hose on the valve cover? Question #2 the air filter did not look bad but with it removed it ran fine so should I try a new air filter or look for something else?
Any help would be much appreciated 8)

CP241 05-07-2019 09:23 AM

Re: G9 Questions

Usually if it is blowing oil out the breather its because it is overfilled. Check the oil level, it only takes 1 quart exactly. Any more and its overfilled.

Check the oil line that comes up from the back of the motor to the top.of the valve cover. If the clamps are loose that will also create quite an oil leak

biglug 05-07-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1612266)
Usually if it is blowing oil out the breather its because it is overfilled. Check the oil level, it only takes 1 quart exactly. Any more and its overfilled.

Check the oil line that comes up from the back of the motor to the top.of the valve cover. If the clamps are loose that will also create quite an oil leak

yes I changed the oil and only put in 1 quart and also put new hoses on the breather line but did not put on clamps because there was none on the old hoses. I will add clamps to the hoses.

Thank you

CP241 05-07-2019 09:46 AM

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that line (it's the hard line from the back of the motor that has about a 3-4" piece of rubber hose that connects to the valve cover) is the oil feed/supply line to the cylinder head.

I do know if it's not clamped tight, it leaks like crazy.

I guess I don't really understand the question about the air filter...

biglug 05-07-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CP241 (Post 1612277)
I'm not 100% sure but I believe that line (it's the hard line from the back of the motor that has about a 3-4" piece of rubber hose that connects to the valve cover) is the oil feed/supply line to the cylinder head.

I do know if it's not clamped tight, it leaks like crazy.

I guess I don't really understand the question about the air filter...

That makes sense I was thinking it was a vent but oil supply makes more sense. I ordered a K&N air filter to put in the air box should be good to go.

Thank you.