Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Help timing advance key install (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=88028)

Hardatwork 11-20-2013 05:03 PM

Help timing advance key install

Is it possible to install a timing advance key with out removing the engine from my 2006 Precedent . I got the key today from CPP. Anyone have advice for me?

Thanks

dave*m 11-21-2013 04:49 PM

Re: Help timing advance key install

no you need to remove the engine to get at the bolts holding the cover on.
If you are looking for more power I can tell you what to do to the intake and carb to get around 2 more horsepower and a smoother running engine.

KillerCC 11-21-2013 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave*m (Post 958216)
no you need to remove the engine to get at the bolts holding the cover on.
If you are looking for more power I can tell you what to do to the intake and carb to get around 2 more horsepower and a smoother running engine.

I know plowman's does something like this to his Yamaha's so I'd like to hear what you have to say about club cars.

dave*m 11-21-2013 08:23 PM

OK want your Precedent to have more power and run better with smoother response then here goes.This is for the sea level cars from the factory,not high altitude.

You need to remove the carb and the air box(complete with choke assy.
This requires the removal of the floormat and the lower cover that has the choke button on it.You need to remove the 4 screws that hold the rear body down to lift the rear body up about an inch.You can now take the screws out that hold the air box in.Remove the reducer at the front of the air box and throw it away.Make sure the butteryfly valve in the air box moves all the way open.If not the remove the top swivel and cut off the excess until it can move to 90 degrees without stopping the butterfly valve.You can install the airbox when done.The button for the choke has a rod on it that will have to be bent so it will allow the valve to stay all the way open.
The carb needs to come apart and the main jet gets drilled out with a number 62 orifice drillbit.The idle jet needs to be from an Fe290 carb.Cut the boss on the carb so that the idle mixture screw can go all the way in or out.Set it at 1 1/2 turns out from being bottomed out.Also make sure the passage from the front of the carb to where the idle jet goes has the same size passage as the holes in the jet.This allows the proper amount of air to go through.Instal everything on car.DON'T hook up the throttle cable.Turn the idle speed up so car can idle with you foot to the floor.Run it for about 2 minutes to warm it up and then adjust the idle mixture in or out until the motor runs nice.If you have a tach set it at 750rpm.When done hook the throttle cable up and set your max rpm.This will give you a lot more power and better control on the motor.I brought this up to the engineers at club car when this was an issue.Their fix was going from a BPR5ES to a BPR2ES.

THis does work and was done at a golf course for their entire fleet.Stopped the issue and made the cars run real nice.
Let me know if you do this how you like it.

Hardatwork 11-21-2013 09:00 PM

WOW

Dave that is a mouth full.
How did you learn how to do that?

dave*m 11-21-2013 09:13 PM

I am the head tech at a dealer/distributor for club car for the last 15 years.Had to do this to 45 cars at a golf course to make the cars run properly from flooding out.Showed what I did to one of the head guys at Club car and he liked it but said the engineers would not go for it.I don't have my papers to be an engineer.I also ran an A/F meter on the exhaust to make sure the motors were running proper.
The one engineer told me the motors are running around 10-11:1 for the A/F ratio.That to me is too rich.If you look at the bends in the air intake it takes away the amount of air the motor gets to breathe with.I fought with the engineers at club car about this and got nowhere with them.

KillerCC 11-21-2013 10:45 PM

Is this the same for DS carts?

dave*m 11-22-2013 07:12 AM

No the ds cars have a different air cleaner system and breathe properly.

Hardatwork 11-22-2013 02:37 PM

For anyone interested you can install a timing advance key with out removing the engine. You must remove the muffler and the gas tank remove the engine mounting bolts and slide the engine over some but it saves a lot of work that way.

Hardatwork 11-25-2013 04:45 PM

Dave

Would to be OK to Remove the reducer at the front of the air box and not make the carb. modifications right away? (Would it run OK)
The reason I ask is I have the body off now.
Also where would I get a number 62 orifice drill bit and the idle jet be from a Fe290 carb.
One more question would this modification work with the timing advance key because I already have it in.

Thanks