Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   axle bearing and seal replacement. (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=33992)

ohmar99 06-07-2010 09:21 AM

axle bearing and seal replacement.

I had a bearing go bad, and the oil seal. I need to know how and what type of grease / oil to the rear end / transmission. It is a 96 Ezgo TXT.

scottyb 06-07-2010 09:57 AM

Re: axle bearing and seal replacement.

Straight 30w motor oil. Fill until it comes back out the fill hole.

ohmar99 06-07-2010 10:11 AM

is the fill hole on top uner the cover? Its at the campground so its not easy for me to check at the moment

scottyb 06-07-2010 10:16 AM

The fill hole is on the pan. It holds about 1/3 of a quart + or - . This could be a tough fix at the campground unless you are good. You will need a snap ring pliers, seal puller, a way to press the bearing off and on the axle. It can be done you just will need to be set up properly.

ohmar99 06-07-2010 10:30 AM

oh no, I already have the drivers side axle bearing and seal out. getting the parts tomorrow.
[IMG]http://i48.tinypic.com/106hn40.jpg[/IMG]

rbuggies48IN 10-01-2015 11:25 AM

I'm about to start this project for rear bearing replacement on a 1995 ezgo, but need a few more comments. It appears the only thing I need to be concerned about, based on my existing tools, is a bearing press, which I think I can rent. Also, I would like to know if reinstalling the axle is ever a problem? I plan to start in about a week or so after I order the bearings from Scottyb.

cartattach 10-01-2015 01:19 PM

A bearing press? For what? Reinstallation is usually uneventful, just make sure to do everything is proper order. EZGO part number 611931 is the kit, you need 1 kit per side.

cgtech 10-02-2015 01:44 AM

Others may disagree, but skip 30w, and go for 80w-90 gear lube. Quieter operation with good gear & bearing protection. My opinion is "flat plane" bearings want 30w, gears want "gear lube". Let the opinions fly.... I will add that ezgo has specified everything from "tractor fluid" to "30w" to "somethingW-140" in the same dana axle they have used for years. The gears & bearings have not changed much.

usgicollector 10-02-2015 07:12 AM

I use a 75w-90 Full Synthetic gear oil myself.:thumbup:

scottyb 10-02-2015 07:34 AM

For lubrication I used 30wt and added an oz of STP. The STP clung to the gear surfaces so they had lubrication up start up. Just my take on splash lubing a tall set of gears with a low speed vehicle.

I have changed out as many axle bearings as most techs and more than some who posted.:mrgreen: You don't need a press but you will need a 6 inch piece of 3/4 steel pipe, a hammer, and a large vice.
If the axle will not pull out put the drum on backwards and start 2 lug nuts so there is room to slide the drum up and down the studs. Use the drum as a slide hammer to remove the stuck axle.
Put the axle nut backwards on the axle leaving the axle end buried in the nut so the threads are protected from the hammer. Place the Axle loosely in the vice so the bearing is supporting the weight of the axle. Strike the axle nut (not the axle threads) and drive the axle out of the bearing. Save the bearing.

more in a minute ...

scottyb 10-02-2015 07:47 AM

Okay coffee. :thumbup:

Remove the axle nut. Place the axle in the vice so the bearing surface is above the jaws. Tighten the vice. Put a light coat of light oil on the bearing surface. Place the new bearing on the axle, Place the old bearing on top of it. Slide the 3/4 pipe down on top of the axle and tap it with a small heavy hammer until the bearing reaches the seat area.

Observe there is not stop for the bearing & it can be driven too far. If this happens use the removal method to back it off. When the bearing is properly placed remove the pipe and old bearing and slide the axle into the tube.

If the new bearing resists insertion in the tube put the axle nut on backwards to protect the threads and tap the axle until the bearing just passes and exposes the C lip groove. Install C clip.

rbuggies48IN 10-02-2015 12:18 PM

another question. Is the standard EZGO replacement bearing kit 611931 the only option or is their a better bearing kit available? Just like in cars, are there good-better-best options?

scottyb 10-02-2015 02:35 PM

I use 6004LL google it.

cartattach 10-02-2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgtech (Post 1204790)
Others may disagree, but skip 30w, and go for 80w-90 gear lube. Quieter operation with good gear & bearing protection. My opinion is "flat plane" bearings want 30w, gears want "gear lube". Let the opinions fly.... I will add that ezgo has specified everything from "tractor fluid" to "30w" to "somethingW-140" in the same dana axle they have used for years. The gears & bearings have not changed much.

And yet again we agree. I run 75/90 Synthetic GL5 in all mine. They run smooth as butter. As for a press substitute, a 3/4 inch socket works wonders. Just make sure you don't do it to a point that you break your socket. But I have done hundreds and I still use the same socket to this day.

kobx 11-04-2015 08:20 AM

Great information in this thread. Should be a sticky/reference up at the top of the page. I'm sure there will be more who want to do this job but don't have a press and/or slide hammer to work with.

Good stuff.....:thumbup:

kobx 11-05-2015 08:35 AM

Just wanted to add. I ran into some trouble trying to get the oil seal out, and I don't have a puller. So, I carefully drilled two pilot holes, 180 degrees apart, on the face of the seal. I then inserted two screws, and pulled on the heads with vice grips. On the drivers side, this worked and the seal came right out.

On the passenger side, I had to also very carefully strike the ID of the seal with a flat head screw driver, again 180 degrees apart, to buckle the seal. It than came out no problem when I pulled on the screws.

The key is to not mare the ID of the tube when doing all this. If you do, you need to smooth it out so there is no burr protruding. This can be done with a file, sandpaper, or a stone.

mh0384 06-01-2016 06:51 AM

i was hoping this had the info I needed, but it doesn't seem to...

what do you guys use to remove the bearing? a slide hammer with a hook type tool on the end? also whats required in removing the axle shaft itself??

scottyb 06-01-2016 08:07 AM

mh0384
A small slide hammer with a hook removes the seal the best, there are other methods in the posts directly before your question. The axle will usually just slide out in the case where it is stuck I use a small slide hammer with an axle nut welded onto it so I can screw this onto the axle and pull.

Welcome to BGW :thumbup:

mh0384 06-01-2016 08:45 AM

thanks scotty, I have a 1996 TXT, does that axle definitely slide out with no c-clip inside the diff?? I remember sliding it back and forth with my fingers but it stopped after an inch or so

I think what I meant to ask was... will a slide hammer with a hook be able to remove just the bearing? I see there are 2 snap rings, 1 on each side of the bearing... it just makes me wonder if there is enough to grab...

Sid007 03-10-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 1204938)
I use 6004LL google it.

Scottyb is dead on, as usual. I found this part today at my local NAPA parts store---exact replacement!

The key to the proper part is the four-digit number---6004---since you might find it with other than the LL identifier of Scotty's part. For example, the part I bought today ended in RS. No problem.

Sid007

THECLUB 07-26-2017 01:33 PM

what about the new seal...? is that installed with the 3/4" pipe as well.?? is there a stop..?
new to this and trying to change my moms ezgo bearing and seals later this evening..

thanks

VanillaXtract 08-02-2017 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THECLUB (Post 1412639)
what about the new seal...? is that installed with the 3/4" pipe as well.?? is there a stop..?
new to this and trying to change my moms ezgo bearing and seals later this evening..

thanks

There's not really a stop. I used a socket and gently banged it in until it was past the groove for the c-clip.

thebone 08-19-2017 05:59 PM

Love ohms law that was on all my electrician test a school before I got my electricians license my high school treacher That couldn't teach me algebra but my ele.teacher had no problem

DRAGGINZUZU 04-04-2018 06:25 PM

Ive been trying to find the part numbers I need for my 94 electric marathon, I have the 611931 , but i need the input shaft bearings, intermediate shaft bearings and carrier bearings as well as the two freeze plugs? am I looking in the wrong place? Id like to order them but having a hard time finding the part numbers.

WinegarKelly 05-09-2018 08:36 PM

Hey guys, New member here!... Well, I have been lurking for a while. I finally signed up today!

Just wanted to say thanks, all the info above makes sense and I recently replaced the input shaft on our electric 1990-1991 Marathon cart & the motor coupler as well... Both were completely stripped.

Done the fronts already but the rear wheel bearings are really noisy... The 1990 model should be the same as you guys are talking about above, right?... As in the rear axle removal only needs the drum and the first locking "bearing" clip removed and then the axle can be pulled out, correct?

Then the next locking clip, then the seal...

Just want to make sure there is not any difference and I cant seem to find a Repair Manual anywhere for it. I did find the Parts Manual though and that helped tons!

The shop tried to charge us like $1,800 for a new electric motor and a new rearend where I repaired it myself for like $50-$60... Thanks to the info found with you guys!

Thanks again,
Kelly

cgtech 05-13-2018 10:11 PM

Should be the common Dana axle with a steel pan on the bottom. If so, then yes, easy.

Nos800 07-07-2018 11:02 AM

What about the front hub bearing is there a auto equivalent?

Mooncarter 07-07-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgtech (Post 1501519)
Should be the common Dana axle with a steel pan on the bottom. If so, then yes, easy.

CG, is this the same Dana rear as a Yamaha G19?

Blp5172 05-10-2019 07:49 AM

So will the bearings sit flush with the end of the axle tube? Just passed the c clip spot?

70oldsracer 05-10-2019 04:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blp5172 (Post 1613300)
So will the bearings sit flush with the end of the axle tube? Just passed the c clip spot?

I just did seals and bearings on my 1995 Medalist and here are a couple of pics. The axle bearing does not sit flush with the axle tube, it's just past the groove for the snap ring.

Phil_Billy 08-19-2019 08:26 PM

has anyone come across an axle that the new bearing will not seat ? old one slides off and the new one slides on the axle with little effort and once you pop the axle back in, its slides back and forth in the inner race of the bearing. does anyone have a fix, other than replacing the axle. I come across this problem frequently at work and was wondering if anyone else has come up with a solution other than replacing the entire axle. thanks in advance.

Cobra,1 08-21-2019 06:32 PM

If you need bearing to fit tighter to the axle,assuming you have correct bearing but just slightly worn axle.
Make several “small” dimples around diameter of axles bearing surface with center punch.
This with make bearing a tighter fit onto axle.

Be aware Although I have used this method many times in automotive repairs, I have not yet replaced my rear cart axle bearings so not sure how “snug” bearing needs to be on axle.😊

Phil_Billy 08-21-2019 08:50 PM

Cobra,1

in the past I have welded small tacks around the axle and filed them down. very time consuming. I hoping to have some responses regarding using Loctite 641 retaining compound or similar.

thanks for your response.

Cobra,1 08-22-2019 06:02 PM

I’ve used the green lock tite before when seating a sleeve on a shaft. But it’s permenent so may make future bearing replacement a bit more difficult?

Phil_Billy 08-22-2019 06:44 PM

I ordered the medium version Loctite 641, from Amazon last night. so I can hopefully remove the bearing in the future. It will be the first time I try it and it will be on my own cart. Hopefully it will help with the problem. I figure for $17 bucks over the cost of new axles, its worth a try.

rkr1 02-20-2020 09:14 PM

I need to check and refill the rear axle oil. I do not find the fill check oil screw. I only find the ventilation on the axle. It is a EZGO electric cart 2010.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

cgtech 02-21-2020 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkr1 (Post 1691966)
I need to check and refill the rear axle oil. I do not find the fill check oil screw. I only find the ventilation on the axle. It is a EZGO electric cart 2010.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

You should start your own thread about this, including info on the model of cart (ezgo made more than 1 model in 2010).

Csaavedra 02-27-2021 06:14 AM

So I swapped out my ezgo 1997s bearings yesterday. Took less than 20 minutes. Used a toggle bolt and scrap piece of plywood to remove seals, worked out great.

Life 12-03-2021 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Csaavedra;1809087]So I swapped out my ezgo 1997s bearings yesterday. Took less than 20 minutes. Used a toggle bolt and scrap piece of plywood to remove seals, worked out great.[/roll::roll:

Hello everyone I have been reading a lot on how to replace a axle bearing here. I have a ezgo 1997 txt and order bearing from Amazon and it does not sit right. And the hub will not go back far enough to lock in the the castle but. What am I missing? Also I have bought to sets of bearings and does not sit well would love help on part # or a link.

scottyb 12-04-2021 11:24 AM

It sounds like maybe the bearing is not fully installed (not seated in the correct location)
I use a 6" piece of 3/4 steel pipe to seat the bearing. place the axle in a vice with the bearing end up. Slide the bearing on followed by the pipe. Tap the pipe with a hammer until the bearing is seated in the proper location.