Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lifted Golf Carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   2017 EZ GO with Jakes Lift Kit darting everywhere (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=184429)

aasukisuki 05-24-2022 03:33 PM

2017 EZ GO with Jakes Lift Kit darting everywhere

Hey Everyone,

I'm posting on behalf of my Uncle, who lives about 7 hours from me. He has a 2017 EZ GO with a Jakes lift kit. When visiting them, we took their cart out for a drive on the asphalt roads, and this cart is legit scary to drive. Even driving it alone, the cart with randomly dart all over the place. I've seen similar posts, but am hoping to use this thread to diagnose, and fix, the issues with this specific golf cart.

My understanding is that these lifted carts should be using HD springs (4 leafs) but his cart's springs only have 2 leafs in both the front and back. Additionally, the camber on the cart does not seem like it's set properly.

The top arm on the passenger side seems to be in significantly more than the drivers side.

Several posts suggested checking the caster where the steering column meets the rack and pinion to make sure it was slightly positive. When the cart is on the ground it does look like it's positive, so I don't think that's it.

Another post I read suggested it could be the sidewalls of the tires buckling. The tires he has installed says they are 6 ply, but I know that doesn't always translate to the sidewall. I've included a photo of the tires if anyone has knowledge on that.

Lastly, it looks like whoever installed the lift kit did not replace all of the bushings. Some of them are old rubber bushings, some are urethane. Any idea where to purchase a complete set of bushings for this application?

Lastly, they live in a fairly remote area with the closes small town being roughly 30 minutes away, so if there are any tools or devices I need to bring/make to help correct this issue, please let me know.

I've attached a few photos which may be helpful (click on them for higher resolution). I can always have him go out and take additional photos if needed.

http://i.imgur.com/YaVPtDtl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/tZ12l3Hl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/X8QvMnHl.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/01fWpmPl.jpg

aasukisuki 05-24-2022 03:36 PM

Re: 2017 EZ GO with Jakes Lift Kit darting everywhere

Well duh. After posting, I actually looked up what that MJFX innovations is, and it looks like maybe that's the brand of the lift kit? I just assumed it was a Jakes b/c there is a Jakes sticker on the golf cart's push bar

slonomo 05-24-2022 08:23 PM

I'm thinking there is some damage from off roading or a crash. Something looks bent to me. Could have a cracked leaf spring.

I do see the heim joints on the passenger side are adjusted inward more than the drivers side. That would also cause some alignment issues.

StoveBolt 05-25-2022 10:33 AM

Unless you have play in the steering I would check the toe-in. (tires pointing in about 1/4")

Forget the HD springs.

aasukisuki 05-26-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slonomo (Post 1890922)
I do see the heim joints on the passenger side are adjusted inward more than the drivers side. That would also cause some alignment issues.

I'll have him adjust the heim joints so they are even. Is he pretty much looking for neutral camber? Is that measured with the cart in the air, or on the ground?

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoveBolt
Unless you have play in the steering I would check the toe-in. (tires pointing in about 1/4")

There is no play in the steering wheel. All of the u-joints look to be in good shape, and a slight movement in the steering wheel translates to the tires moving.

When you say 'tires pointing in about 1/4"', you're saying we need to make sure the cart has a 1/4" toe in, or that a toe in could be causing the issue? I've read conflicting information there where some people have actually suggested an 1/8" toe out.

Thanks for the help guys.

StoveBolt 05-26-2022 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aasukisuki (Post 1891263)
I'll have him adjust the heim joints so they are even. Is he pretty much looking for neutral camber? Is that measured with the cart in the air, or on the ground?

There is no play in the steering wheel. All of the u-joints look to be in good shape, and a slight movement in the steering wheel translates to the tires moving.

When you say 'tires pointing in about 1/4"', you're saying we need to make sure the cart has a 1/4" toe in, or that a toe in could be causing the issue? I've read conflicting information there where some people have actually suggested an 1/8" toe out.

Thanks for the help guys.

I set them a quarter inch to make sure, there is plenty flex in them large low pressure tires and yes no toe-in could be the issue.

Fairtax4me 06-02-2022 06:37 PM

You probably need to adjust the Camber first. Then adjust toe angle.
Camber should be even side to side and should be slightly positive for best handling characteristics. Kinda looks to me like the right side (passenger) is way negative and that will cause all sorts of fun.

Camber adjustment on those has to be done by unbolting the heim joint from the king pin and then turning it in or out to make the adjustment, and then put it al back together, put it on the ground and then measure the angle of each side and compare.
For the best starting point, turn all of the heim joints in ALL the way. Then adjust out slowly until you have the desired camber angle. After adjusting those then adjust toe angle to approx 1/8" of toe in. Personal opinion, I've found that the lifted carts tend to track better if you have closer to 0 to 1/8" toe-in, and about 1-2 degrees positive camber. This usually evens out to close to 0 camber when the cart is loaded.

Often you may have to take an entire day and make adjustments, then drive the cart and see if you like it. Make more small adjustments, drive, more adjustments, drive, repeat as necessary.

slonomo 06-02-2022 08:00 PM

I don't think anyone of us can really tell what's going on from these photos, they really aren't that great for diagnosis. I'd recommend posting some better photos of the whole setup, making sure the cart is sitting on level flat ground, and make sure the steering is set to the center.

Cartmaster 06-03-2022 12:23 AM

Fairtax is on the money yet again. The excessive negative camber is preventing the adjustment for toe in. Once you have the camber sorted out, you will have much more adjustment to correct the toe. It is the excessive toe out causing bump steer which is making it wander.

RochonBenson 06-10-2022 11:32 AM

I am having a similar issue with a 6" lift in my RXV. I have negative caster on the left side and 0 degree vertical on the right. The cart wants to dart and dive when I hit a bump. I have the 1/4" toe-in and 0 degree camber. I'm not sure what my next move is?

Did you get your problems solved?