Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Star and Fairplay (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Star Cart Controller Status Light Blinking (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=95161)

rangersam 06-15-2014 09:55 AM

Star Cart Controller Status Light Blinking

Hello: I'm trying to get more information on why my 2010 Star ev 48 volt cart has quit. Looking over everything before I start buying parts, I noticed the yellow status light on the the controller blinks 5 times, twice, hesitates and repeats over and over again. When I turn the key off, it continues. The only way I can stop the blinking is to put the cart in tow mode. Then if I put the key in and turn the cart on it doesn't start up again until I touch the pedal to go (which it doesn't because it quit) but the status light starts this blinking sequence again. I don't know if it has always blinked when the cart was running or ? Any thoughts, I am in the process of looking for solenoids to try the fix first. Thanks, rangersam

cgtech 06-16-2014 01:44 AM

Re: Star Cart Controller Status Light Blinking

Yep, code 55 = main dropout. (Put the cart in tow, & disconnect batts) You can remove, disassemble and inspect the main solenoid you have now. I have had pretty good luck cleaning them up to get more service from them. Be sure to check the plunger hole on the bottom for dirt and crud that may be stopping the contactor from moving (one grain of sand can do it). Oh yeah, whoever said $300 to replace the contactor should not be your repair shop anymore. Should be around $170 including labor.

rangersam 06-16-2014 09:38 AM

Thanks cgtech; Will try that later today, hopefully with good results:-) rangersam

rangersam 06-16-2014 02:57 PM

Okay, so this is weird! I'v been gone 11 days, came home and tried the cart, still dead, although everything was the same. The lights were still blinking and when I pressed on the pedal I could hear a faint click in the back, but nothing. The cart had been sitting at my sister in laws house which is right around the corner from us, about .3 of a mile away. I towed the cart to our house with her cart and put it in the garage, there were a couple bumps on the way if that means anything? Was looking in the back at the solenoid and controller, (which I've been doing a lot of lately), put the key in, pressed the pedal, got a louder click and the cart moved. Took a ride up and down the block, still running. Is the solenoid going or what? Sort of scared to try a round of golf with it? Thanks, rangersam

cgtech 06-16-2014 03:02 PM

Not totally sure, still sounds like the solenoid.

rangersam 06-17-2014 09:15 AM

Purchased a new solenoid, installed and working like before, a much louder click when I press the pedal. Gonna take it out for a ride each day several times before I hit the golf course with it. No blinking lights on the controller and the power indicator seems to be working better? Thanks, rangersam