Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   yamaha wont stop runnin (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=67587)

2jacksmax 07-21-2012 10:19 AM

yamaha wont stop runnin

I have a yamaha (97) that i changed the starter belt and brushes
now the car will start but will not shut off.
I can start car then it will idle even when i turn the key switch off. pedal stop switch seems to work. I can only stop by taking spark plug loose.
once stopped i can hook up spark plug and everyting is normal until i start up agian.

snopro1 07-22-2012 12:41 AM

Re: yamaha wont stop runnin

Was the cart running right before you changed the belt and brushes? Can you accelerate and drive the cart or is it just turning over (not firing) the starter and engine with battery power? If you didn't disconnect the neg battery post while you were changing out the brushes you may have shorted out your pedal switch and/or key switch. Your key switch should stop the cart no matter when you shut it down. So I know you have some sort of fault there. Pull out the cup holders to reveal the switch wires and try to shut it down by disconnecting the connector. If that shuts it down than it's the switch, if not the fault is further down the line. The same detection method would work with the pedal switch.

2jacksmax 07-24-2012 11:34 AM

i have disconnected the key switch and the car keeps runnin
did the same thinmg with the pedal stop switch and the car kept runnin
Yes the car does accelerate and decelerate. just idles until I pull the sprak plug wire.
Once stopped I can hook everyting up and the car does not run until you turn the key switch on and pedal start. then I have the same thing -- car jksut keeps runniin.

camaroluvz28 07-24-2012 11:45 AM

The problem is most likely the throttle cable sticking. while the cart is still running in neutral reach back and pull on the gov bracket and see if the cart stops running, let me know...

2jacksmax 07-24-2012 02:59 PM

after more research I have found what I think is called the ignition stop relay located next to the soleniod.
could this be my biggest problem

camaroluvz28 07-24-2012 03:33 PM

Is that a no on the stop running when gov bracket is pulled...I just replaced a throttle cable yesterday on a lifted G16 with your exact symptom...and the keyswitch wouldnt shut cart down

2jacksmax 07-27-2012 10:25 AM

yes that was a no on throttle cable...

smallblock450sl 07-27-2012 06:24 PM

i've seen several things that can cause this situation. With a magnito style ignition (like Camaro said) that engine will run forever if fuel and ignition is present. Since it's not the accelerator cables, check the (blue/black) wire connector (at the front of the engine). The engine stop relay could cause it (unplug it and run the car to test). The voltage regulator could also cause the problem, (unplug and test). Lastly, the solenoid could be "sticking" and not shutting off power to the starter/generator.