Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Finished with upgrades now cart won't run. Did I miss anything? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=149735)

Allmanac 01-27-2019 07:53 PM

Finished with upgrades now cart won't run. Did I miss anything?

5 Attachment(s)
I just got done upgrading the following on my 2002 48v ds series cart.

Upgrades:
High amp FNR switch
High amp solenoid
500a Curtis speed controller
AMD 5.5hp speed & Torque motor
All new welding cable set

I followed the upgrade installation instructions to the letter minus swapping the micro switches in the FNR switch since it came with new ones. I took pictures of the activation wiring before I started and put them back exactly as I removed them but the cart will not move. The solenoid clicks and the back up buzzer sounds when in reverse but motor is not doing anything. See the attached pictures and maybe I missed something that I just can't see.

Allmanac 01-27-2019 07:54 PM

Re: Finished with upgrades now cart won't run. Did I miss anything?

Not sure why my pictures are upside down. Hopefully someone can make sense of them.

NoleFan4Ever 01-27-2019 09:06 PM

Where did you get your kit?

What is the model Controller?

Take a picture of the solenoid that reveals the connections for the small wires and spade connectors.

Allmanac 01-28-2019 07:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the kit from BU. Yeah I know I should have purchased from a site sponsor but not much I can do about it now. I managed to get my phone next to the side of the solenoid to get a picture of the diode, red and yellow spade connections. I also took another picture of the top of the solenoid that shows the only other small wire in that area left to connect. Controller picture is also attached.

BigOL3 01-28-2019 08:30 AM

Hopefully you did NOT do as I did when changing the cables out on the 11.4HP motor I already had. When you removed the old cables, did you allow the studs on the motor to twist any? If so, like mine, they may have internally broke the connection, which would be baaaaaaad!

Allmanac 01-28-2019 08:33 AM

Pretty sure I didn't. When I removed the old cables, motor and installed the new motor and cables I was very careful to use the two wrench method of tightening everything up.

Sergio 01-28-2019 09:41 AM

In that system the pedal micro-switch sends the +48v to both the solenoid activation and the controller terminal #1.

Since you have a single red wire in both of those locations, there must be a splice somewhere.

Make sure there is +48v on Controller terminal #1 when you press the pedal.

If terminal #1 is getting +48v, look at the paperwork that came with the kit and see if it says how the throttle was programmed on that controller.

Allmanac 01-28-2019 10:03 AM

Thanks Sergio. I will check this afternoon during my lunch break and report back. Unfortunately the instructions say nothing about controller programming.

Fairtax4me 01-28-2019 10:14 AM

I think Sergio is saying to check if that controller needs a 2 wire or 3 wire throttle, and if it needs a 5k - 0 signal, or a 0 - 5k signal.
Make sure your REAR wheels are OFF the ground for the first test. If your throttle type on the cart does not match what the controller needs, the cart can take off at full speed in either direction as soon as you turn the key on, with NO pedal input.

scottyb 01-28-2019 10:20 AM

Given he bought a KIT for a 48v CC based upon the 48v F&R I would venture to assume the controller is programmed properly. Checking for solenoid activation and controller power up (positive at pin 1) would be my first suggestion.

Of course a wheel off the deck is always the #1 safety precaution for any drive system upgrades