Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   97 DS 48 volt charging problem (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=33606)

pracer53 05-29-2010 08:09 AM

97 DS 48 volt charging problem

Hi All,

My charger only puts out 7amps when charging. I checked everything in charger and components are all good. The cart runs good, other than it is slower than other carts.

I replaced the obc and same thing, checked wiring and it all is wiring correctly, the only difference is there is only one resistor on the solenoid instead of two which is what schematic shows. I put my charger on another cart and I get 15 amps. when turned so I know the charger is good. Batteries are all less than a year old. Not sure what the resistors do in the circuit.

Paul

scottyb 05-29-2010 08:43 AM

Re: 97 DS 48 volt charging problem

If it is a black square solenoid with a red + on top it has an internal resistor, so you just see the diode between the small posts .... not sure what's going on Charger is good. OBC is new, Batts are new? Are you getting the same voltage reading at the charge port as the pack total voltage? Good Connections?

OLD MEC 05-29-2010 08:48 AM

What resistor are you taking about, the pre charge one across solenoid at large cable mount points or in the case of a regen cart a large resistor used in recharging circuit? Go back to basics and check your batterys with digital meter or better yet a single float hydrometer with temperature scale for corrections? DO NOT use a multi float antifreeze tester as thats all is really good for. Just because batterys are fairly new dont assume anything. Remember to do testing at least 1 hour after being on charger. Look at stickies above for voltage and specific gravity readings to see which battery is causing problem.
Club Car seems to have problems most often with numbers 5 and 6 batterys, which are the ones under driver seat, but any one battery could be defective?

pracer53 05-29-2010 09:07 AM

The larger resistor across the large cables is there and is good. The other one that is missing looks like it is suppose to be from one side of large to small side from the schematic. I don't have parts list or manual yet, so I down what the value of these are. My cart didn't have a battery light before, someone cut it out and new obc says it has to be in to sense battery condition.

scottyb 05-29-2010 09:30 AM

Did you use the model# from the old obc to select the new obc?

CC-John 05-29-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD MEC (Post 411864)
Club Car seems to have problems most often with numbers 5 and 6 batterys, which are the ones under driver seat, but any one battery could be defective?

Number 5 & 6 batteries are the ones that are tapped for the OEM light kit.. If your not using a 48 to 12 volt reducer, the batteries need to be rotated at least once a month to equalize the load on them..

pracer53 05-29-2010 09:44 AM

yes I did, and all colors matched.