Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Found my perfect lithium pack! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=170396)

alangsam 10-24-2020 08:36 PM

Found my perfect lithium pack!

2 Attachment(s)
OK folks, Finally pulled the trigger on a Lithium pack. I waited till I could find one that was designed in the US (built in china) and in this case in Lakeland FL only a few hours from my house. The reasons I went with Extreme Team Carts & Accessories 48v 100ah pack -
They specifically tested it with the navitas 5K AC system on a CC and it never tripped the packs BMS.
It has a built in BLUETOOTH BMS. those of you that love the NAVITAS Bluetooth Dealler app will love the app on the pack. Screen shots attached. This is the only pack I could find that had this and I consider it a must have. Imagine your NAVITAS System without an app...
They include a 20AMP charger, VOLT and SOC meter calibrated for the pack, really nice screw knobs - no tools needed, a new charge port with easy instructions and a tie down.
They load test each pack before shipment.
it fits perfectly in a CC Precident battery box and leaves about 70 percent of the space free!
At 88 lbs it saves about 350 lbs and its a very small package when you open the box you won't believe the "compactness"
Blake and Fred that are the owners of extreme team spent plenty of time communicating with me and have answered any and all questions I have had so far
5 year warranty.
Best part is that its less expensive at 1850 including the 20amp charger than any of the other packs that I have seen out there in the 48v 100ah.
Im still deciding on some of the wire routing now that I have all this room. No more battery acid, no more watering. you really won't need to open the seat much anymore.
If you cant tell I am extremely happy with this purchase.
The next thing that needs to happen is to get J Todd J. Todd Dussault to get the Extreme Team Pack listed in the battery type in the latest Navitas dealer app...... hint hint

Volt_Ampere 10-24-2020 08:43 PM

Re: Found my perfect lithium pack!

Any idea who's cells they are using?

alangsam 10-24-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volt_ampere (Post 1774045)
any idea who's cells they are using?

you can reach out to blake sherouse at extremeteam carts in lakeland florida. He has some details on his website about the type of pouch cells he is using.
I am extremely impressed with this pack so far.

NoleFan4Ever 10-24-2020 11:45 PM

It is a LiFePo4 system. https://www.extremeteamcarts.com/auto-draft/

klubber 10-25-2020 07:28 AM

This is the same pack I am using. Getting in the forty plus mile range between charges. Definite performance improvement. Very pleased and price was right for a drop in solution. I ma buying another of these for a cart up north. I just got back into town and will start a detailed road test with BMS readouts for each section of driving.

PingEye3 10-25-2020 09:56 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alangsam (Post 1774041)
OK folks, Finally pulled the trigger on a Lithium pack. I waited till I could find one that was designed in the US (built in china) and in this case in Lakeland FL only a few hours from my house. The reasons I went with Extreme Team Carts & Accessories 48v 100ah pack -
They specifically tested it with the navitas 5K AC system on a CC and it never tripped the packs BMS.
It has a built in BLUETOOTH BMS. those of you that love the NAVITAS Bluetooth Dealler app will love the app on the pack. Screen shots attached. This is the only pack I could find that had this and I consider it a must have. Imagine your NAVITAS System without an app...
They include a 20AMP charger, VOLT and SOC meter calibrated for the pack, really nice screw knobs - no tools needed, a new charge port with easy instructions and a tie down.
it fits perfectly in a CC Precident battery box and leaves about 70 percent of the space free!
At 88 lbs it saves about 350 lbs and its a very small package when you open the box you won't believe the "compactness"
Blake and Fred that are the owners of extreme team spent plenty of time communicating with me and have answered any and all questions I have had so far
5 year warranty.
Best part is that its less expensive at 1850 including the 20amp charger than any of the other packs that I have seen out there in the 48v 100ah.
Im still deciding on some of the wire routing now that I have all this room. No more battery acid, no more watering. you really won't need to open the seat much anymore.
The next thing that needs to happen is to get J Todd J. Todd Dussault to get the Extreme Team Pack listed in the battery type in the latest Navitas dealer app...... hint hint

Very nice pack you have found and that is a great price. You can move your controller and solenoid into the battery tub for better access to them, especially if you have a rear seat. Wiring to tow switch remains on back plate, the rest of the harness moves into the tub. No wires cut.

st91ang 10-26-2020 01:47 PM

I'm in the middle of building a custom LiFePo4 pack and was thinking I'd put the batteries on the passenger side of the cart to help balance weight when not having a passenger. I see from the two installs with pictures on this page that you guys put the batteries on the driver side. Is there a specific reason for that?

klubber 10-26-2020 07:10 PM

I have a DS as both of the carts pictured are precedents. My battery is placed in center of cart. Battery only weighs 88pounds. Unless you are of slight build, effect will be minimal, and once you make friends, they will want to ride with you.

davidgolfer 10-27-2020 10:41 AM

I have been looking at these packs for a while now. Be interested to see some real world mileage tests.

Wakko47 10-27-2020 11:59 AM

I know zero about these conversions, is that an average cost? Where in FL are you?

alangsam 10-27-2020 07:35 PM

this pack with the 20 amp charger is 1850. the roypows seem to now be in the 2200 range ans an equivalent allied is over 3000. i am in vero beach and extremeteamcarts carts is in lakeland.

alangsam 10-27-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidgolfer (Post 1774968)
I have been looking at these packs for a while now. Be interested to see some real world mileage tests.

mileage varies big depending on how you drive.if your going from hole to hole at 12-15 mph i would say 40 miles based on my tests over the last week. if you going 35 mph at full throttle maybe 25 miles.windy and hills could
change that. these are on my stretch cc precedent cart. i couldn't get more than about 10 miles on my lead acid batteries when they were new before they were down to 20 percent or less and needed to be recharged immediately. they just don't hold up in the heat and regularly pulling high amps for long periods at high speeds and lasted 2-3 years here in florida. lead acid gives you 300-500 cycles. these batteries 3000-5000 cycles. a cycle is every time you charge it from 50 to 100%. we drove the cart almost every day so it's a no brainer.

the cool thing about these lifpo4 packs is that you don't have to charge every time you drive. they can sit at 10-100 percent without things like sulfating or self discharge. i got rid of my battery watering jig and the distilled water etc.

Wakko47 10-28-2020 04:13 AM

Good information. So far my cart is just a neighborhood cruiser, so I don't think I'll benefit from it, but that may change if we street legalize the cart. I'm down in Lake Worth, close to you. Who do you deal with up there? I just bought batteries from Scott's Automotive and really like Jupiter GC as well.

jetfixr 10-28-2020 08:39 AM

Nice, I have got my eye on this one. The site leaves a lot to be desired though, doesn't really show battery dimensions, max rate of charge/discharge. And none of the pictures of the battery are clickable to enlarge. The site looks a bit fly-by-night, so waiting on a few more real world tests.

Gadgetman111 10-28-2020 01:26 PM

Hi! New to the forum. Digging all the great advise.

My project car is a 2002 Club Car DS used primarily for golf. My latest upgrade is a lithium battery pack. I went with a RoyPow 56AH battery because it was supposed to be an easy drop in install.

To my dismay, the pack does not fit in the battery bay! The I-beams of the frame and the angle at which they sit pushes the battery up too high where the seat will not even come close to closing. I considered grinding off the installation brackets and squeezing the pack in between the two frame pieces, it I did not want to void the warranty. I ended up taking the rear of the cart apart and installing the pack sideways between the frame beams. I have about 1/4 clearance on the charging receptical and I’m all the up against the back bulkhead. I installed some tie downs to secure it and wired it up. It works great, but what a royal pain to install it.

I am open to any advice on how to do this differently or better.

Mike

cpahillside 11-02-2020 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gadgetman111 (Post 1775394)
Hi! New to the forum. Digging all the great advise.

My project car is a 2002 Club Car DS used primarily for golf. My latest upgrade is a lithium battery pack. I went with a RoyPow 56AH battery because it was supposed to be an easy drop in install.

To my dismay, the pack does not fit in the battery bay! The I-beams of the frame and the angle at which they sit pushes the battery up too high where the seat will not even come close to closing. I considered grinding off the installation brackets and squeezing the pack in between the two frame pieces, it I did not want to void the warranty. I ended up taking the rear of the cart apart and installing the pack sideways between the frame beams. I have about 1/4 clearance on the charging receptical and I’m all the up against the back bulkhead. I installed some tie downs to secure it and wired it up. It works great, but what a royal pain to install it.

I am open to any advice on how to do this differently or better.

Mike

Mike

Don't use the Roypow installation bracket. Cut one battery support out and bolt on new one to fit at end of pack. Drill holes to bolt battery directly to cart.

Chris

alangsam 11-05-2020 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetfixr (Post 1775256)
Nice, I have got my eye on this one. The site leaves a lot to be desired though, doesn't really show battery dimensions, max rate of charge/discharge. And none of the pictures of the battery are clickable to enlarge. The site looks a bit fly-by-night, so waiting on a few more real world tests.

send me a note and i can provide you real world info based on my pack in love ya cart.

Bigjmain 12-12-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

5 year warranty.

Any follow up on these? I’m curious on how they would perform with an alltrax 500 controller?

ACHiPo 01-22-2021 03:03 AM

Looking at this pack and maybe an AC conversion. Are there any photos or pics of the conversion process?

txcanes 02-18-2021 02:37 PM

You did the install yourself? Wow - what diagrams etc came with the kit?

Quote:

5 year warranty.

FLBeachBum 02-24-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

5 year warranty.

I am actually based in Lakeland and this pack is at the top of my list (Roypow is 2nd, which also just opened an office in Lakeland??). I have a 400A Alltrax, 22" tires, and a high speed motor from Dave at Revolution. Currently seeing 29-30mph on flat, ~15mi range since we floor it everywhere. We drive this at the beach and need 20mi of range (at most) and would love to see closer to 35mph, the cart is street legal. Based on your time with it, is this feasible?

I already spoke with Blake, very helpful and it looks like they added a bunch of information to their website since most of these posts in this thread... Also he stated 200A continuous discharge, but site still says 100A.

The only other question is since this has a built in 48 to 12v converter, should I run a fuse box or just connect the lights directly to the terminals?

Nolagt 02-25-2021 11:16 AM

In for some updates on this pack. I was holding out for a roypow P series 160ah but these really have my attention. I really like how that 100ah fits...I was thinking the 160ah for max range but it would be nice to have that much room too. I have a stock CC onward but id like to possibly do a controller/motor swap one day. That's why I want a battery that can handle it and max AH.

irwinj06 02-26-2021 05:24 PM

Does anyone have the 150ah in a club car? I would like to see how it is mounted.

Nolagt 02-26-2021 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irwinj06 (Post 1809041)
Does anyone have the 150ah in a club car? I would like to see how it is mounted.

I talked to them today and they are shipping out a bunch of packs this weekend. They just got their shipment in (all sold) and were told there are some bigger packs in it if I recall correctly. If you are on FB the group there should have some pics. I was told the 150 would take about half of the tub on a CC.

Nolagt 02-26-2021 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by irwinj06 (Post 1809041)

This is a 150 in a CC I think with a aftermarket controller on the side. It doesn’t have to be in the middle like this. They also changed the discharge rate to 200 continuous from 100. Started out at 100 but new shipments (already arrived) are 200s going forward. I was talking to them today and this is what I was told. I think that 150 is in my future. Might wait to see what a 200 looks like.

ACHiPo 02-26-2021 10:39 PM

I received my 100ah today. Unfortunately the charger won’t arrive until Monday. I’m impressed with the battery build, though!

irwinj06 02-27-2021 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolagt (Post 1809060)
This is a 150 in a CC I think with a aftermarket controller on the side. It doesn’t have to be in the middle like this. They also changed the discharge rate to 200 continuous from 100. Started out at 100 but new shipments (already arrived) are 200s going forward. I was talking to them today and this is what I was told. I think that 150 is in my future. Might wait to see what a 200 looks like.

That looks like an ezgo as the controller is on the side instead of the on the back side in the middle. I went ahead and placed an order for the 150. The dimensions for it look to be the perfect size for one side of the battery box in a club car. Hopefully the BMS can handle my AC setup I have from SilverWolf. If the had mounting brackets for the 200ah then I would have gone for that one but the 150 will be plenty. It’s half the size of the roypow 160 with better specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolagt 02-28-2021 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irwinj06 (Post 1809226)
That looks like an ezgo as the controller is on the side instead of the on the back side in the middle. I went ahead and placed an order for the 150. The dimensions for it look to be the perfect size for one side of the battery box in a club car. Hopefully the BMS can handle my AC setup I have from SilverWolf. If the had mounting brackets for the 200ah then I would have gone for that one but the 150 will be plenty. It’s half the size of the roypow 160 with better specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah yea ok i misunderstood what they told me, I went back and looked. At any rate yes about half the battery tub on a CC. Smaller than a Roy pow and better IMO. I’m leaning to the 150 myself.

mfra0801 02-28-2021 10:47 AM

Yes, that picture is actually my cart and it’s the 150ah in my EZGO RXV. It just fits height wise in the battery tub.

Nolagt 02-28-2021 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfra0801 (Post 1809328)
Yes, that picture is actually my cart and it’s the 150ah in my EZGO RXV. It just fits height wise in the battery tub.

Awesome thanks for confirming. I am going to go ahead and get a 150.

davidgolfer 02-28-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfra0801 (Post 1809328)

What kind of mileage per charge are you getting with the 150?

Roy Gurley 03-01-2021 04:48 AM

Can someone tell me how well does the Lithium work in COLD weather?

tal.hunter 03-04-2021 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PingEye3 (Post 1774166)
Very nice pack you have found and that is a great price. You can move your controller and solenoid into the battery tub for better access to them, especially if you have a rear seat. Wiring to tow switch remains on back plate, the rest of the harness moves into the tub. No wires cut.

Did you build this pack yourself?

Nolagt 03-04-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy Gurley (Post 1809487)
Can someone tell me how well does the Lithium work in COLD weather?

They told me down to 4 deg and does not lose any power in the cold like led acid.

PingEye3 03-04-2021 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tal.hunter (Post 1810212)
Did you build this pack yourself?

Yes I did, I have now built and installed 30 Leaf packs. But those days are just about over as the Leaf modules are very hard to find.

Volt_Ampere 03-04-2021 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolagt (Post 1810269)
They told me down to 4 deg and does not lose any power in the cold like led acid.

Wrong! You lose lots of performance at lower temps. You should NEVER charge if the battery is below 32 f. You can drive with the battery colder than freezing but you will notice a significant loss in performance and range.

afghan 03-04-2021 06:54 PM

Yep. I have a Tesla and the range drops significantly in below freezing temperature. Sometimes by up to 50%.

Volt_Ampere 03-04-2021 09:18 PM

All batteries suffer the same temperature dependent behavior. Lithium is no worse than Lead/Acid in this respect. I used to fly electric model planes in cold weather (Colorado) and we would keep the batteries in a warm container before flying. Even in Arizona where cold is 45 degrees you notice a significant reduction in performance.

WalterM6 03-04-2021 10:11 PM

I was out in my cart the other day when it was 72 degrees. The difference was night and day in performance. I had all the power and pep back that I had last summer. Leaf batteries BTW. Maybe since spring is here all of these questions about batteries both lead and lithium will go away, and the lithium dropout questions too.

fstop 03-05-2021 11:31 AM

Yes - there is a difference you can feel as ambient temps increase.

As noted by Volt_Ampere, using them in colder temps is OK (best not to push high amp draws, and don't expect 100% capacity) but charging is far from ideal at freezing temps.

Forgetting about temperature extremes though, there is a noticeable difference in performance (at least that I've observed with 2 different lithium packs) between 50f ambient and 80f ambient temps. Not drastic, but there is a range and current delivery improvement even with this temperature spread.

Teslas and others have a battery heating system for cold environments, and charge rates are closely regulated with regard to battery pack temps. Not sure, but max allowable current draw might possibly also be regulated by the car's computer in certain temperature conditions.