Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G2 clutch (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=3451)

Mac B. 02-10-2008 08:53 AM

G2 clutch

I was riding yesterday and my G2 started reving way up and not pulling. I did not think I was going to make it home. I have searched this site and still do not know what I need to replace. Do you replace the whole clutch or rebuild it? How hard is it to replace and where do you get one dealer or plowman? We have only had this cart for about 6 months but I think the clutch is original.

Thanks Mac

groundpounder 02-10-2008 10:05 AM

Re: G2 clutch

it sound like a broken weight in the clucth take the front cover of and see if there is one brocken you can buy the weight. and welcome to BGW

Yamaha4life 02-10-2008 11:02 AM

Yeah you should take the cover off and check everything like Groundpounder said. I would also reccomend greasing both clutches. About every month or two you should grease both clutches to help keep them in good shape...

Mac B. 02-10-2008 12:46 PM

Thanks for the tips. I will take the cover off and look at it. How long will the clutches last in these?

Thanks Mac

Yamaha4life 02-10-2008 02:55 PM

Well it really just depends on use. Ive had alot of trouble with the clutches on both of my Yamahas. I think there a weak spot on the cart. Im not sure how much you want to spend here, but if you want a good aftermarket clutch that requires no grease and matinence, then you may wanna check this clutch out. Its makes the cart run alot smoother on take off, it dosent make any clunk noises like the G16 clutches do and will give you ability to make your golf cart into a key start. I have one on both of my carts and have NEVER had any trouble with it. Ive never even touched it after installing them...

http://cgi.ebay.com/YAMAHA-G2-UP-DRI...QQcmdZViewItem

Mac B. 02-10-2008 02:58 PM

I took the cover off and there is a broken weight. It looks like pins hold them in. How hard is it to change and do you change all of them at one time? Should I go ahead and put the spring in it everyone is talking about?

Thanks Mac

Yamaha4life 02-10-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac B. (Post 51830)
I took the cover off and there is a broken weight. It looks like pins hold them in. How hard is it to change and do you change all of them at one time? Should I go ahead and put the spring in it everyone is talking about?

Thanks Mac

When you replace the weights you should replace all 3 at once because if one is broken more than likely all of them are worn

The spring goes in the rear clutch not the front clutch. The front clutch uses the centrifical weights to run it instead of a spring.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mac B. 02-10-2008 04:20 PM

Do you have to take the clutch off to change the weights? Sorry for all the questions but this is the first cart I have owned.

Thanks Mac

smallblock450sl 02-10-2008 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac B. (Post 51841)
Do you have to take the clutch off to change the weights? Sorry for all the questions but this is the first cart I have owned.

Thanks Mac

Yes you do need to take it off. The large bolt will come off "counter clockwise" and the sliding sheave/spider.weight assy will slide off. Please change all weights and if damaged change the pins and spider also. Use a propane torch to loosen the (loctite) holding the "set screws" that keep the pins in place. Replace the bad parts/reinstall (use loctite on the set screws again) and here's the "trick"...DO NOT OVER GREASE THIS CLUTCH !!!!! Once instaled, put the zerk fitting at 12 o'clock, shoot 1 or 2 shots of grease in, rotate the zerk fitting to 6 o'clock, push the floating flange toward the engine and "whipe out any exposed grease out from inbetween the floating flange and spider. Install the cap, the drive belt and your primary clutch should be good a year. Do this procedure any time you grease the primay clutch and it should last for another 20 years. In my experiance... Overgreaseing is the problem. You only want grease on the bushings in the floating flange (they slide in the fixed sheave) gease on the weights and pins cause most of the problem! Lastly about the Comet 94 aftermarket clutches.....Some people would disagree, but they don't engage till higher rpm's are reached....In my opinion not a very "smooth" feel. Good luck Dave PS...If you have a secondary clutch with a zerk fitting in the floating flange (your lucky) and a few shots of grease will help "sticking and growling" unless the bushing is bad.

smallblock450sl 02-10-2008 05:06 PM

Absulutly...change all wweight kits at the same time. Also change the pins if damaged along with the spider if (where the plastic washers ride between the weight link ends) damaged. If your "Cap" has a "crack or hole" replace it also. The parts needed would still be less then an aftermarket Comet clutch. I have heard of some people installing a newer style G16/G22 clutch and you can buy one as a complete assy. You just need a special tool to get the fixed sheave off the crankshaft. Good luck Dave