Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G22 charging high (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=146859)

mikkeeh 10-09-2018 03:58 PM

G22 charging high

Recently purchased a G22. Resting battery voltage is about 12.75 or so. With motor running, output at the battery is about 16.8. I’ve done a lot of research here...seems the question has been asked several times, so it’s a fairly common issue it seems. Most folks report changing the voltage regulator with no improvement. Although most posters agree that the voltage is high....there doesn’t seem to be a conclusive solution.

Thoughts?

murrman26 10-09-2018 04:01 PM

Re: G22 charging high

The pulley is probably wore out on your generator and is spinning too fast

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

mikkeeh 10-09-2018 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murrman26 (Post 1548500)
The pulley is probably wore out on your generator and is spinning too fast

Can you explain this? Why would a worn pulley spin faster. I can understand it causing belt slippage....but not running faster.

murrman26 10-09-2018 04:47 PM

It would be fine for starting but once it starts to generate the pulley having a smaller diameter on the inside will spend it faster

murrman26 10-09-2018 04:48 PM

Spin

sformal 10-09-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikkeeh (Post 1548499)
Although most posters agree that the voltage is high....there doesn’t seem to be a conclusive solution.

Thoughts?

IMHO, it is a manufacturer decision due to how a golf cart is used: very short distance between starts. In my case, I use it as my day-to-day vehicle so I wanted to lower the voltage to 14.5V max.

When I had to change my regulator, I searched for an adjustable version (like the original on G9-A) and found only from one supplier.

Here is my thread...

It is a bit tricky to adjust as the reading changes when you put back everything in place (cover, etc...), so it requires a couple of tries...

mikkeeh 10-09-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sformal (Post 1548533)
IMHO, it is a manufacturer decision due to how a golf cart is used: very short distance between starts. In my case, I use it as my day-to-day vehicle so I wanted to lower the voltage to 14.5V max.

When I had to change my regulator, I searched for an adjustable version (like the original on G9-A) and found only from one supplier.

Here is my thread...

It is a bit tricky to adjust as the reading changes when you put back everything in place (cover, etc...), so it requires a couple of tries...

Sounds logical. But with so many folks tricking out their carts with lights, radios and electronics, I would think the high voltage would cause havoc. Maybe the devices are more tolerant than I think.

Tweeder 10-09-2018 08:55 PM

As long as your battery isn't getting hot, I don't think it would be a problem

sformal 10-10-2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikkeeh (Post 1548549)
But with so many folks tricking out their carts with lights, radios and electronics, I would think the high voltage would cause havoc. Maybe the devices are more tolerant than I think.

In fact, at 18+V, my radio was restarting loosing all its memory. It is the way I discovered my VR was finished :(

This being said, it is not a too good situation having a too high voltage; a lot of stuff needs more amps, not voltage or, as you mentioned, some stuff can burn or eventually limit its life!!!

meimk 10-10-2018 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikkeeh (Post 1548549)
Sounds logical. But with so many folks tricking out their carts with lights, radios and electronics, I would think the high voltage would cause havoc. Maybe the devices are more tolerant than I think.

Yamahas do tend to charge high. Up to a point most electronics will tolerate the variance, though it may very well reduce their overall lifespan by a bit. One Yamaha owner found he had no problem with lights and radio, but the 16+ volts would cause his power inverter to shut down. Given the choice of a mechanical / adjustable regulator he instead decided to do without his A/C powered parade lights, which were the only reason he used to inverter.