Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Grounding To the frame (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=43934)

Bud333 02-05-2011 01:02 AM

Grounding To the frame

Has Anyone heard about not grounding anything to the frame on a Gas Powered golf cart, Have any good work arounds for grounding stuff IE the headlights radio???

ky_mike 02-05-2011 01:45 AM

Re: Grounding To the frame

You can ground directly to the battery.

I can't speak for all gas golf carts, but the G1 is grounded to the frame. You can add additional electronics and ground them to the frame, but you run the risk of overloading the ground and constantly pop fuses.

Todd Dolfi 02-05-2011 07:35 AM

I wouldn't ground anything to the frame...take everything to the batt. or put a grounding block in ,you can get at autozone..

Dave Box 02-05-2011 08:18 AM

I don't know on the Yamaha but the on EZGO the battery negative bolts directly to the frame as does the engine ground. If you followed your negative and it is bolted to the frame then the frame is grounded so you can pick up your grounds from the frame. I do know that electric carts have a floating frame so all grounds must go directly to the battery negative.

Mike Mac 02-05-2011 08:22 AM

Bud, I put a couple 12 gage short 5" pig tails on the starter ground lug. (on the starter end cap, where the large ground cable from the battery, bolts to.) I am able to ground any additional accessories from there.

I can probably get you a picture later in the day (daylight) if you like.

pachanga90 02-05-2011 08:40 AM

There is nothing wrong with frame-grounding as long as your connections are clean(grind/sand off paint/rust).The Ez-Gos' also frame-ground the wiring to the rail.Granted stuff like radios,gps,high-power lites work better with a direct ground sometimes(depends on interference with other electronics and amp-draw).I would recommend increasing the ground-cable size by 1-size,if you have a lot of "toys" on your cart,to handle the extra amp-draw capacity.Always coat the ground-connections with a electrical-sealer to protect from corrosion.I work on Heavy-Trucks,and International grounds their batteries to the frame(sometimes 8' from the engine)and grounds the engine,cab,etc..also to the frame(not to one point,they run a short wire from engine to frame-rail,batts to frame-rail)These are fully electronic-controlled and it works,so use your own judgement.Hope this helps.:thumbup:

Mike Mac 02-05-2011 08:45 AM

Pach, not on a Yamaha. You can blow the TCI on a G8. Best to ground to the battery, sorry this is what I ment to say.

pachanga90 02-05-2011 08:53 AM

Every cart is different,But..I did say frame grounding is fine,so take it for what its worth.

Gearhead1956 02-05-2011 11:35 AM

All grounds end up at the frame anyway

spriddle 02-05-2011 01:56 PM

If you ground to the frame of a Yamaha, it will blow the main fuse every time. Ground straight to the neg. post on the battery.

DO NOT GROUND TO THE FRAME ON A YAMAHA.......