Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   96 DS no speed limit/automatic braking (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=86002)

CranbrookGolf 09-25-2013 07:26 PM

96 DS no speed limit/automatic braking

Here's another one for everyone. I recently replaced the OBC for a member whose '96 DS cart wouldn't charge. I ordered a new one from Club Car, installed it today and got the cart to charge. But when I took it for a test drive before plugging it in for the night, the thing wouldn't slow down when going down hill. Going down to our driving range was a fun but interesting experience and I'm glad the cart has pretty good brakes. I don't think an older lady would enjoy that too much. I've driven some older carts our members own and there are some that have the same problem.

Now, I haven't actually spent too much time driving this particular cart around so I have no idea if this problem was already there or if I caused it with my OBC swap-out (one good reason I don't like working on others' carts; sometimes you can open up a can of worms with carts you have no idea about the repair/maintenance history). I put every wire to the solenoid and speed controller back exactly where they came from so I'm hoping the problem was already there. I haven't yet talked to her to tell her her cart is finished but I thought I'd get some advice before I do.

I'm wondering if there was anything I could've done to disable the automatic braking. I assume the speed controller is responsible but if there's anyone who could enlighten me further, that would be much appreciated.

scotter 09-25-2013 11:39 PM

Re: 96 DS no speed limit/automatic braking

I don't think the 96 DS carts had Regen braking, yet. Believe that came in 1997 with the 48 volt DS Powerdrive shunt motor model. I could be incorrect, though. Does motor have a pigtail of small wires coming out of motor end?

crash test dummy 09-26-2013 12:08 AM

:headbang: scooter you are correct !!!

scotter 09-26-2013 12:27 AM

Woohooooo!
:thumbup:

jakesnake27 09-26-2013 09:28 AM

Yeah my first cart was a 96 and there was no regen; just a good old 48v series cart... :thumbup:

joesam 09-26-2013 09:58 AM

Well...not quite right....I have a '96 Regen I (maybe manufactured in late '96?). Easy to tell Regen I - it has no run/tow switch and the GE Tee shaped controller. But my guess is that you were driving a '96 series cart, with no Regen braking.

CranbrookGolf 09-26-2013 09:59 AM

I figured it might be a little old for automatic braking but there should still be a speed limit. The controller has to be limiting the speed when going downhill and I'm wondering what's gone wrong on hers. Anyways, thanks for the replies so far.

joesam 09-26-2013 10:30 AM

Hey, that brings up a good question (I have Regen so I just have no idea) - I'm sure on a series cart that the controller is kinda out-of-the-loop when you lift off the pedal - BUT - I'm also sure the motor doesn't have a clutch between the armature and gear train either. So does that mean if you go flying down a very huge/very steep hill in a series cart, that you could spin the dickens out of the armature (potentially way past it's design tolerances) and turn it into shrapnel?

jakesnake27 09-26-2013 10:49 AM

Hey joesam, does your cart have a rocker switch or a lever for a shifter? Don't all regens have a rocker? This would tell for sure if Cranbrook's is a regen or not...

joesam 09-26-2013 10:58 AM

Yep! The same rocker switch as all "modern" Regen's! AND I understand his concern. Cranbrook is in the Canadian Rockies and some of those mountain course paths would feel freaky-steep without Regen!