Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   2002 gas club car backfires after running for short time (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=118411)

cookr 05-19-2016 01:32 PM

2002 gas club car backfires after running for short time

New here. I have had my 02 gas club car for a few months now. I noticed right after I got it home that at full throttle it would lose power and backfire. Also it would not shut off when gas pedal was released. I replaced the accelerator shaft bushings last night. They were shot. No play in gas pedal now and engine shuts off when gas pedal is released. While out on it today, at full throttle it would lose power then start running again. I am guessing this the rev limiter kicking in. After it got warmed up good. The backfire came back at full throttle. Also when I let off the gas to stop, it sounded like valves were rattling and did not shut down smooth. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated

cookr 05-19-2016 08:14 PM

Re: 2002 gas club car backfires after running for short time

Update. I pulled the carb and the butterfly was not closing all the way. Adjusted screw so that it fully closes. Ran for a while with no backfires. Still hitting rev limiter. What can I do to prevent it from hitting rev limiter? Not interested in speed. Just want it back stock.

Clemsoncartguy 05-19-2016 09:07 PM

Check to see if govenor is hooked up, of the linkages were bent.

I was going to say sounds like a carb issue with the excess running and backfire

cookr 05-20-2016 07:33 AM

Not sure where the governor is located. Will try and locate and check it. Thanks.

cookr 05-20-2016 09:33 PM

The governor appears to be hooked up. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

general01 05-20-2016 10:03 PM

Is the carb closing when the pedal is released?

general01 05-20-2016 10:07 PM

Ignore my previous post

What you want to do is with the pedal released is loosen the the bolt that holds the governor arm
Then turn the governor shaft full left with a flat head screw driver

That should get the engine throttle back to its correct position with the pedal linkage and governor

cookr 05-21-2016 07:08 PM

I checked to see if the governor is hooked up. Found that the bracket on rear of engine was bent. This holds cable coming from box with micro switches in it. I straightened it and adjusted the cable tension in the box that houses the switches. Got it running with out cutting out now. Feel like it still needs fine tuning to get it just right. Wondering if all this was done to keep it running instead of replacing accelerator shaft bushings to take all the slop out of the pedal. Also, While back there I found a yellow wire coming from what appears to be a sensor that is screwed into the case of the engine that is disconnected. Any ideas as to what this is? Thanks Clemsoncart guy and general01 for your help so far. Keep the advice coming.

Clemsoncartguy 05-21-2016 07:35 PM

They bend that linkage on top of the motor to get more throttle. That kind of a way to bypass it or get more throttle.

cookr 05-22-2016 01:01 PM

I have it running pretty slick now. Only hit the rev limiter once last night. Well the yellow wire that was disconnected goes to the oil sending unit. As soon as I plugged it up the oil light came on. Guessing it is bad. Has plenty of oil in it. Will replace it when I get time to run pick one up.