Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   I think I fried my Buggy (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=54556)

jkg2003 09-18-2011 04:13 PM

I think I fried my Buggy

1997 EzGo, 1 yr old interstate batteries, 4 inch lift...We use the buggy as a deer lease transportation, and it will sometimes overheat and shut down for a couple minutes and then resume as nothing had happend...this time when she overheated I took the seat off just to take a look at what was going on and I saw smoke coming from the cover on the passenger side. The buggy continued on like always, but not she wont move, the soleniod clicks but she wont move...Please help me get her back on the road and maybe suggest upgrades to keep her from overheating???

1fastbuggy 09-19-2011 09:38 AM

Re: I think I fried my Buggy

Which cover did u see smoke from the big cover or the small one towards the front of the cart. I see you have a lift and i assume big tires did you upgrade your cables or your f and r switch. If it was the small cover thats the f and r switch and they are not built for big tires and climbing hills at a deer lease.

scottyb 09-19-2011 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
None of the stock electrical components are built for taller tires and off road use :roll:

Likely, since he described a controller gong into thermal shut down, the controller has shut down for the last time. This is typically the way they fail.
You need a larger controller, solenoid, and a few 4g cables. To help this situation.
Which drive system do you have according to this chart?

JohnnieB 09-19-2011 10:14 AM

Electrical and electronic gadgets run on smoke and stop running when it leaks out.
Sounds like the smoke leaked out of your Controller.

Going slow on rough terrain one of the most demanding things you can do with a golf cart, but it can be done.
A Series wound motor is best for this application so if your cart has a Sepex motor, you might consider trading it for one with a Series motor.

You'll need:
HD Controller (400A or more)
HD F/R Switch
HD Solenoid (Ampacity to match HD Controller)
HD Cables (4Ga or larger - All high current cable must match)
HD Motor (Stock motor will work, but won't last very long with more current flowing through it)

Tall tires give you more speed and less torque, so some guys change the rear end gear ratio to one that gives them more torque and less speed to offset them.

Like I said, it can be done, but it ain't cheep.

1fastbuggy 09-19-2011 10:41 AM

You are looking at a grand if you want to do it right.

jkg2003 09-19-2011 01:33 PM

Series cart, with 22" tires, coming from the small cover

Sent from powders back pocket

scottyb 09-19-2011 02:35 PM

Smoke from the small cover is less expensive, Get yourself a HD F&R with ultra cool Buss Bars :thumbup: Check to see your cable ends are not melted too.

jkg2003 09-19-2011 05:19 PM

Scottyb wut would a HD F&R switch run me?

Sent from powders back pocket

scottyb 09-19-2011 05:48 PM

My HD F&R with the ultra cool buss bars is $159 :thumbup:

1fastbuggy 09-19-2011 11:27 PM

Scotty's f and r switch is tuff i abuse mine every day and dont have any problems. I would put at least some 4 gauge wires also. Scotty can help u with those also.