Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Hard Starting 1989 2 Stroke (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=4839)

sccowboy 05-09-2008 01:02 PM

Hard Starting 1989 2 Stroke

I have an 89 marathon and the engine runs well when it finally cranks, however, it seems to take an inordinate amount of time to get it to crank. Compression is good at approx 140 psi, getting good flow of fuel with new filters and carb adjusted properly (I think) by service shop. Air flow is good with new filter and has a new spark plug. Could it possibly be anything ignition related? Also, how does one tell the difference between a 2pg and a 3pg 2 cycle engine? Really wish I could find a shop manual on this engine, I think it would answer a bunch of questions and allow me to know what the specs are. thanks

2stroke 05-09-2008 05:22 PM

Re: Hard Starting 1989 2 Stroke

It says the engine model on the cylinder shroud. I think yours would have a 3PG. What do you mean by crank? As in turn the motor or start?

ruredy 05-10-2008 07:33 AM

3pg should have the clutch on the side, not on the back

Jan 05-10-2008 08:03 AM

1990 EZ Go I bought it in the Fall last year. It ran pretty good. Always seemed a little reluctant to kick into hi gear but it did. When I was storing it for winter it stopped going into reverse. When I took it out of storage this year I sprayed behind the switch with some flux and WHALA it was working great. The next time I took it out to run it it just never got going really. Just barely moved. I put a new plug in it ( set the gap to .030 is that right?) Managed to drive it out of the garage and it quit and won't start at all now. How do I troubleshoot now? You can't even pull these buggies out of the way!!!

sccowboy 05-10-2008 03:11 PM

Jan,
How is the fuel? Fresh? How about cleaning the carb. Mine had sat up for a long time and the fuel left in the carb had gummed it up.

sccowboy 05-10-2008 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruredy (Post 67305)
3pg should have the clutch on the side, not on the back

Are you talking about the Comet? It is on the side.

sccowboy 05-12-2008 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sccowboy (Post 67220)
I have an 89 marathon and the engine runs well when it finally cranks, however, it seems to take an inordinate amount of time to get it to crank. Compression is good at approx 140 psi, getting good flow of fuel with new filters and carb adjusted properly (I think) by service shop. Air flow is good with new filter and has a new spark plug. Could it possibly be anything ignition related? Also, how does one tell the difference between a 2pg and a 3pg 2 cycle engine? Really wish I could find a shop manual on this engine, I think it would answer a bunch of questions and allow me to know what the specs are. thanks

UPDATE:
I now can see that I am getting a fuel/oil mixture slinging off of the drive clutch and there is a heavy smell of gas coming from the engine compartment. I think that my crank seal is leaking at least on the clutch side. How difficult is it to R&R the crank seals? Does anyone have the step by step procedures for accomplishing this or is it pretty straight forward. If the crank seals are leaking then could that be the cause of the hard starting? It makes sense to me that if the seals are leaking then the crankcase pulses are not strong enough to drive the fuel pump thereby causing a fuel starvation issue. Ruredy....am I on the right track? please help!!

Trey

loopygroup 05-12-2008 09:53 PM

If your crank seals are bad low pulse vaccuum is the least of your worries. The bigger problem which will cause hard starts is that on the intake stroke the motor will suck air past the seal causing a lean fuel to air mixture resulting in a difficult start even when choked.

sccowboy 05-12-2008 10:45 PM

Strangely.....today when starting it and it doing the usual turn over forever then fire off, I noticed a very rich fuel smell coming from the exhaust. Sounds opposite of what you said loopy about the seals and a lean mix. Not that you are wrong because what you are saying makes perfect sense. I opened the rear access and made a 1/4 turn in on the needle adjustment on the carb. After that, the rest of the afternoon, she started up immediately upon hitting the throttle and required no choke even on a cold start. I am going to check it again in the a m and see what it does. Would a weak ignitor cause a hard starting scenario? How about a failing coil? Just trying to look at all angles. It almost seems like some sort of vapor lock thing happening......:dontknow: I haven't looked under the cover on the fan side to inspect that seal and my oil pump is not working, so I am mixing at approx 100:1.

thanks

sccowboy 05-14-2008 10:06 PM

This AM I opened the seat to watch it as it started and saw gas pouring from under the heat shield atop the head and from under the fan cover. After approx 30 secs of cranking it finally started. It took it a bit to burn off the excess gas and then it ran like a top. The only thing I can tell is that occasionally even when the motor is warm, it does this and almost always when cold. This PM I pulled the carb and cleaned it thoroughly, the float and valve all looked ok. No varnish and such. I reinstalled the carb and tried to start it. Same thing only this time there was no gas pouring from the same areas. However, there was still the same strong gas smell. I pulled the plug and it was dripping wet. I checked it for spark and once it was dried off, it produced a brilliant blue/purple flame. I put it back in and it took approx 30 secs to fire off and then burn off the excess gas. I understand that if one or more seals are blown then I could expect a lean mix. I have the opposite. What about the fuel pump? Could it be leaking thru the diaphragm? Frustrating little thing!!!