Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Yamaha G29 motor (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=185655)

sean31 07-20-2022 12:56 PM

Yamaha G29 motor

working on a cart for a friend. Apparently all worked fine until it didn't. I tested all batteries first (which were good) charged the pack and started troubleshooting. I came up with lack of continuity between the A1 and A2 terminals. From searching threads this told me the brushes were bad. Took everything apart and the brushes were almost non-existent. Cleaned everything up free of carbon dust and cleaned the commutator with carb cleaner and hit it with a scotch brite pad. It looked a little beat up, but I reassembled everything anyway. Tested the motor and verified continuity between A1-A2 and F1-F2 and all was well. Re-installed and no go :( . My question is this most likely a motor replacement at this point ? is there anything else I should be checking prior to?
thanks Sean

Volt_Ampere 07-20-2022 03:34 PM

Re: Yamaha G29 motor

I would test the motor separately - brush replacement should have made it work again. Connect A1 to F1, A2 to F2 and hook up a battery to A1 and A1 with the wheels off the ground. It should run slowly with an 8V battery. If the motor is good, the controller is probably shot. Brush failures often damage the controller.

ojo 07-20-2022 03:54 PM

Hmm, you could test the motor separately with one 12v battery :?

sean31 07-22-2022 10:10 AM

I will give this a try. It does have a newer Navitas controller that I can see what's going on via Bluetooth and the app. Thanks !

JeebusCrunk 08-03-2022 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere (Post 1900306)
I would test the motor separately - brush replacement should have made it work again. Connect A1 to F1, A2 to F2 and hook up a battery to A1 and A1 with the wheels off the ground. It should run slowly with an 8V battery. If the motor is good, the controller is probably shot. Brush failures often damage the controller.

Did you mean connect battery to A1 and A2 after linking the A's with the F's?

ojo 08-03-2022 08:22 AM

Yes, that's what he said. Use an auxilary battery or one from the cart. And, WHEELS OF THE GROUND :wink:

JeebusCrunk 08-03-2022 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ojo (Post 1902195)
Yes, that's what he said. Use an auxilary battery or one from the cart. And, WHEELS OF THE GROUND :wink:

He said A1 and A1, I was just asking for clarification to make sure that the second 1 was the typo, and not the second A. I'm a tech and a have a G29 in my shop that seems to be working as it should all the way to the motor, but getting nothing from the motor, so was somewhat sure motor is the issue, just came here to see if these Hitachis can be bench tested the way I do with DC Ezgo's and Club Cars (don't have nearly as much experience with Yam as I do the other 2.)

ojo 08-03-2022 10:53 AM

You're right, a typo... jumper cable between a1 / F1 and a2 /f2, then battery to a1 / a2. Should be possible on the bench also.

Volt_Ampere 08-03-2022 12:29 PM

Do NOT do this on the bench! The armature is only supported on one end when the motor is out of the cart. You WILL destroy the motor if you try to run it on the bench with no support on the output shaft! Test it in the cart with the wheels off the ground.

ojo 08-03-2022 12:53 PM

Sch... forgot that, sorry! In the cart only :shock: