Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G2 governor question (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=18390)

nowashburn 06-15-2009 01:11 PM

G2 governor question

Hi all! I have a gas yamaha g2 that I have as a side hobby / play machine. First let me state that I am far from a mechanic but have been having plenty of fun working on and learning on this cart. First I put on a lift kit and tires and that went smoothly. Took me all day Saturday and had a lot of fun doing it. So, after driving it around for a while I came across the Yamaha speed spring. Sounded easy and had great reviews, so why not give it a whirl?

here it is:
http://www.cartpartsplus.com/yamaha-speed-spring.html

It took me about an hour to actually put it on but I eventually completed the task. First thing I noticed was that the gov assembly didn't seem to spring back as quickly as it did with the stock spring. Since I don't have another cart to compare it to and I wasn't 100% sure how tight the spring back action was to begin with, I decided to take it for a test spin. I def noticed a huge gain in top end speed and was pretty excited. Then, my throttle cable snapped!

I just ordered a new cable and would like to put it on but wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions so I don't repeat what happened the first time again. Most importantly:

1. With the speed spring on, how far should I tighten the bolt for top speed?
2. Are there any other cable adjustments I should make when using the speed spring?

I'm also not sure if the throttle cable was in bad shape before doing this since the cart is old.

Any input / advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

- eric

nowashburn 06-15-2009 01:26 PM

Re: G2 governor question

Also, if someone could be so kind as to post a pic up of their G2's governor assembly with or without speed spring it would be much appreciated! At least that will give me something to compare it to. Thanks again in advance!

spriddle 06-15-2009 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Governor assembly should look like this (without the speed spring).

Attachment 16537

I've snapped a couple of cables myself. Mostly due to being old and not properly lubed at regular intervals. I did run across something one time with a G9 I had. The area under the pedal where the cable actually lays was a little crooked and causing the cable to rub and wearout. I simply took a small pry bar and bent it back into place. Just something I would mention.

More than likely the cable was old. You might want to make sure there is not too much tention, or it being in a bind, or even improperly adjusted.

nowashburn 06-15-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spriddle (Post 219184)
Governor assembly should look like this (without the speed spring).

Attachment 16537

I've snapped a couple of cables myself. Mostly due to being old and not properly lubed at regular intervals. I did run across something one time with a G9 I had. The area under the pedal where the cable actually lays was a little crooked and causing the cable to rub and wearout. I simply took a small pry bar and bent it back into place. Just something I would mention.

More than likely the cable was old. You might want to make sure there is not too much tention, or it being in a bind, or even improperly adjusted.

Thanks a ton for your reply / pic. Funny because my cable broke in the same exact place! I'll post again when I get this thing back together.

spriddle 06-15-2009 01:56 PM

Wow, I wasn't even going to mention it but I thought it might be good to know. :thumbup: Be sure to check that area for misalignment and see if that channel seems to be pushed together a little as well. MAKE SURE THE KEY IS OUT WHEN YOU INSTALL THE NEW CABLE AND TEST THIS OUT! :lol:

nowashburn 06-15-2009 02:35 PM

actually, after further reading, it seems way easier to bypass the thing all together:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...or-bypass.html

should i try the bypass or stick with the speed spring?

spriddle 06-15-2009 02:42 PM

That's personal preference. I bypass all of mine but I am mindful of my rpm's too. Yours being a G2 has a rev limiter that should kick in so bypassing the governor should be ok. But I still wouldn't run it wide open for long periods of time. You'll know when the rev limiter kicks in too. It feels like the engine just cut off. First time it happened to me, I thought I had blown the engine and then it kicked back in. I will never forget that. LOL!! :mrgreen:

nowashburn 06-15-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spriddle (Post 219238)
That's personal preference. I bypass all of mine but I am mindful of my rpm's too. Yours being a G2 has a rev limiter that should kick in so bypassing the governor should be ok. But I still wouldn't run it wide open for long periods of time. You'll know when the rev limiter kicks in too. It feels like the engine just cut off. First time it happened to me, I thought I had blown the engine and then it kicked back in. I will never forget that. LOL!! :mrgreen:

thanks for your reply. i think im going to try the bypass too, sounds like more fun hehehe. Question for you though..... as you read in my first post, my accel cable broke and I havent gotten the new one in yet. Would I just be able to use the one that goes from the gov to the carb to bypass it? If so, I wont have to wait untill the new cable comes in :)

spriddle 06-15-2009 03:06 PM

You'd have to rig it up since it is smaller. I've done it for a temp. fix but it more than likely won't last but a couple of runs. You have to cut a section out and clamp it to your old cable away from the sleeve/channel under the pedal and then rig where it attaches. You'll have to rig the end as well since it has the cup type clamp end on the small cable instead of the bullet end.

nowashburn 06-15-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spriddle (Post 219270)
You'd have to rig it up since it is smaller. I've done it for a temp. fix but it more than likely won't last but a couple of runs. You have to cut a section out and clamp it to your old cable away from the sleeve/channel under the pedal and then rig where it attaches. You'll have to rig the end as well since it has the cup type clamp end on the small cable instead of the bullet end.

ill just wait to get the new cable in then, thanks.