Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   G9 Wiring project gone wild (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=68750)

lefamonster 08-13-2012 08:36 PM

G9 Wiring project gone wild

Okay the story so far:
Bought a g9- used with charger for $200.00 last week. Not running, wiring harnes fried. SO I found the diagrams to hook back the 36v system thanks to you guys here. I also did some looking around and saw that a group of people prefer to run a seperate 12v system for lights and stuff.

There were headlights, tailights and a horn that were once wired but spliced in 8 ways from sunday. I gutted the light,horn, tail light mess and started over.

Here is the puzzler, I can't figure out how the brake lights can work without a brake light switch ( or a momentary switch). My question is was there a brake light switch on the original G9, or was this poorly aftermarket hook-ups.

In order to work around this I have decided to mount a momentary mount switch under the brake pedal. AM I reninventing the wheel? has someone done something similar or easier?

Testing went well, with the kill switches. But I had aproblem with the horn. Pictures to follow.

lefamonster 08-14-2012 09:33 AM

Re: G9 Wiring project gone wild

A little bit more detail on the 12v system.

I started with a feed from the rear of the vehicle, to a distribution block with six posts. I made this from a bunch of ewaste. I then ran a feed from block 1 to another smaller block under the dash with 2 posts.

The feed hits a kill switch next to the ignition. I wanted to keep it separate from the main 36v system for now.

The headlights and horn system on on the front block (#2). The brake lights, and return switch feed from the brake switch land on block 1. Also there is another feed off block 1 for the stereo system headed back towards the dash. This isn't hooked up yet.

The brake system is a dual filament bulb. So the brake switch is hooked to the high filament.

When I hooked up power I only had two problems.

The horn circuit caught fire, it has dual terminals on the horn. It was the only wiring I didn't replace. It burnt to a crisp, but the kill switch worked.

In retrospect I should have used a 10amp in-line fuse to avoid the burn fest, also I suspect the ground on the horn is at fault.

For today the goals are to head to Radio Shack and find a new brake switch.

smallblock450sl 08-14-2012 06:39 PM

Re: G9 Wiring project gone wild

A microswitch that is activated when the pedal is in the "locked/park brake position" will need some kind of delay relay to shut it of after so many seconds. I've alway's liked the microswitch with a round plunger and adjustable depth. Just drill a hole in the brake pedal main plate and mount the switch. When you need brake lights, just put your foot on the microswitch plunger, then no need for a relay to shut it off when the park brake is applied.