Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Cart only starts by shaking side to side (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=79097)

99gasman 04-22-2013 08:00 PM

Cart only starts by shaking side to side

My 99 Club Car has a 6 inch lift. It will only start after shaking the whole cart side to side. I have changed the fuel pump and fuel filter, cleaned the carb. has anyone heard of this?

Nicky 04-22-2013 10:51 PM

Re: Cart only starts by shaking side to side

Could it be a bad starter. Next time it dont start try turning the starter a little by hand and then try to start again. Long shot but maybe the starter has some dead spots.

shoelessjoe 04-23-2013 05:09 AM

My guess is a loose wire/bad ground coming to or from your starter or solenoid. When you shake the cart it jar's the wire enough to get the ground needed to start then when you're riding around that wire gets rattled back loose and you lose the ground. Take a minute and check all the wires for damage and all the connections to make sure they are snug. Clean up your chassis ground area's while you're at it too. I bet it solves the issue.

Had the same issue on my '69 Firebird for a while. It would start 5 times in a row with no issues and then one time it would do nothing. Shake the car around a bit and it would fire right up like nothing ever happened.

Springbok 04-23-2013 09:21 AM

X2 on the bad ground. That's what it sounds like.

Poswego 04-23-2013 12:58 PM

Did you have to replace the thick stranded ground wire on top of the starter/generator after installing the lift. Mine snapped in half and stayed inside the protective sheath - did not look damaged until I pushed n the entire wire and it came free. Might be partially broken inside heath cover?

99gasman 04-23-2013 07:04 PM

Thanks for the help, I replaced the ground after I lifted the cart. I will check for loose connections and good continuity.

I will reply with results

99gasman 04-28-2013 05:39 PM

Removed the new ground cable I installed after the lift and buffed the frame, installed washers and new self locking nut. Fixed the problem. Thanks for help.

jay_in_cgohio 04-28-2013 07:41 PM

I was thinking it sounded like a awesome anti-theft system:lhmo:

shoelessjoe 04-29-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99gasman (Post 874544)
Removed the new ground cable I installed after the lift and buffed the frame, installed washers and new self locking nut. Fixed the problem. Thanks for help.

Glad to hear ya got it squared away. With electrical stuff like that often times it's something simple like that.