Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Compare G1's thru other G models (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=103206)

zonian911 02-25-2015 08:58 PM

Compare G1's thru other G models

Newbie here; I acquired my father in law's 1981 G1 and have already fell in love with it. I would like to add a rear seat kit to it but have only found one plain bench seat style kit for $300 but have seen some awesome looking kits for other "G" models for close to the same price. My question is how much difference is there between these models when it comes to accessorizing and is there a model that might fit into the close enough category? I can't fabricate my own seat due to lack welding skills but can Jerry rig a bit. Thanks in advance for any help I may get, this forum has been an awesome help for me on other subjects already.

Field6565 02-25-2015 10:04 PM

Re: Compare G1's thru other G models

Welcome to the site! I'm sure that a rear seat from another cart can be made to fit. I have two G1s and have custom made front/rear seats for them. As far as the G1 being close to other "G" models......it's not. It's really in its own category.

slonomo 02-27-2015 07:01 AM

The biggest difference with the G1 is that it's the only model that the whole main body section flips/hinges up and back to gain access to the engine compartment. No other Yamaha does this. This may create a problem with your back seat idea. Some of the seats have foot rests that hang down in the rear, and may cause interference? I'd say if you are looking for a cart to modify and customize, the G1 is definitely NOT the best cart for that. However, the G1 is a cool cart! I have two of them, and have worked on several. They are classics, very durable, and extremely easy to work on.

TheNewGuy 02-27-2015 08:03 AM

IMO the biggest difference is that the G1 is a 2 stroke engine and the trans-axle has no reverse. The engine runs backward to achieve reverse. I just don't care for 2 stroke engines.
My G1 is my avatar picture....Geep1.

ewbldavis 03-04-2015 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rear seat answer - you could buy the kit, but mods will be necesssary.

I didn't know what to do, and ended up buying EZGo hip bars and seat backs, then cutting plywood and buying vinyl/foam from Jo Ann Fabrics. They came out pretty good.

Down side - rear seat does not flip. I wasn't worried about it.

And yes - the G1 is in a class by itself. 2-cycle, custom or rare parts.

sho305 03-07-2015 12:58 PM

If you do it yourself you might make a seat then attach it with pins/etc (tractor parts like this are cheap) to the front seat area or some supported spot then legs to the bagwell. Make it so you can remove it to lift the top for service. Only hard part is making it not rattle. You may need to put a latch on the front floor if you don't support on the bagwell floor. The utility carts had a lock there because if you loaded the rear box the whole top/seat/box would lift up on you while driving. That was freaky, but back in the day it was fun we would pop the lock on co workers just messing with them lol. Go up a hill and the seat would lift up. If you support through the cover to the frame you might just mount some light weight seats on the body and be done with it.

junkyard_dawg_82 09-11-2015 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sho305 (Post 1128250)
If you do it yourself you might make a seat then attach it with pins/etc (tractor parts like this are cheap) to the front seat area or some supported spot then legs to the bagwell. Make it so you can remove it to lift the top for service. Only hard part is making it not rattle. You may need to put a latch on the front floor if you don't support on the bagwell floor. The utility carts had a lock there because if you loaded the rear box the whole top/seat/box would lift up on you while driving. That was freaky, but back in the day it was fun we would pop the lock on co workers just messing with them lol. Go up a hill and the seat would lift up. If you support through the cover to the frame you might just mount some light weight seats on the body and be done with it.

Does anybody have any pictures how they mounted a box? I'm looking to install one on mine but want to see some pictures first

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

beerman52 09-11-2015 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have an 86 G1 with two rear facing seats... got 'em at the Bass Pro Shop.

....boat seats.. They flip down, comfortable plus a large choice of colors..
Go check them out..

sho305 09-12-2015 02:30 PM

Most people mount a small one behind the seats, bolt it right on the body. You can't let it hang out the back past the hinges or a lot of weight in it will make the body want to open.