Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Battery test / load test (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=117807)

coldcan 05-02-2016 02:39 PM

Battery test / load test

I was reading another guys post where he's having trouble with his batteries dying after just a short time of use (its a '90 CC 36V, mine's an '87)), he was told to test each battery under a load, my question is; how do you put a load on a 6 volt battery one at a time when the motor is 36volt, plus I've read on here that you shouldn't run the motor without a load on it - can someone explain, I'm not having trouble with mine yet - but I'm sure I will ) (I'd be a little uncomfortable jacking up the rear end of that heavy sucker and flooring it, if it shook off the jack stands LOOK OUT ! ) Thanks !

270Handiman 05-02-2016 02:55 PM

Re: Battery test / load test

Use alligator clips and clip your DVM to one battery and take a short ride while monitoring you voltage on the DVM. Repeat for the rest of the batts.

tag50 05-02-2016 03:19 PM

About the motor running without a load on it- Yes, you shouldn't spin a motor AT FULL SPEED without a load on it because it can self-destruct with shrapnel. You can bump the throttle for a second to verify rotation (forward or reverse) without harm.

Volt_Ampere 05-02-2016 03:27 PM

Best way to load test is while driving the cart. Clip to one battery at a time and get a reading under acceleration and one at rest. That is a real world load test.

teecro 05-02-2016 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coldcan (Post 1269999)
I was reading another guys post where he's having trouble with his batteries dying after just a short time of use (its a '90 CC 36V, mine's an '87)), he was told to test each battery under a load, my question is; how do you put a load on a 6 volt battery one at a time when the motor is 36volt, plus I've read on here that you shouldn't run the motor without a load on it - can someone explain, I'm not having trouble with mine yet - but I'm sure I will ) (I'd be a little uncomfortable jacking up the rear end of that heavy sucker and flooring it, if it shook off the jack stands LOOK OUT ! ) Thanks !

You take voltage READINGS from one battery at a time to discover which battery (batteries) is weaker than the rest of the pack... You don't change anything in the wiring at all.... The best readings will be found while the cart struggle with a large hill and/or loading it down with fat friends...

theboss20 05-03-2016 12:08 AM

Or load test them with a carbon pile load tester from Northern Supply....about $69.95 plus freight.

teecro 05-03-2016 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theboss20 (Post 1270199)
Or load test them with a carbon pile load tester from Northern Supply....about $69.95 plus freight.

At what voltage? Hard to find a load tester that works in 6, 8 and 12 volts to test individual voltage much less one that allows for entire pack voltage at 36 to 48 volts so that one may see how the pack works together....

Volt_Ampere 05-03-2016 08:40 AM

Your cart is a free built in load tester. Hook up your DVM and drive it.

coldcan 05-03-2016 02:47 PM

GREAT ! Learned something again thanks you all - I was thinking a "load test" would be an amp draw of the motor but now I see its a possible voltage drop on 1 or more batteries (its tricky retro-fitting my brain from servicing AC circuits in HVAC/R and food service equipment to DC golf carts - and the BLACK ground is really a struggle lol ) thanks again

coldcan 05-03-2016 02:49 PM

Oh , and a DVM is a "digital volt meter" right ?