Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Yamaha G29 Slower after motor upgrade (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=179663)

GCS290 09-23-2021 09:23 PM

Yamaha G29 Slower after motor upgrade

I had two Yamaha G29 carts with Moric controllers come into the shop, both with bad motors. One cart with 3 year old batteries wouldn't run, (do not know how fast it was before motor replacement) replaced the motor with FSIP Speed motor, cart ran 23 MPH, stock tire size. The other cart ran when it came in but jerky and very short distance. This cart is lifted with 23" tires, and has brand new batteries. Installed the same FSIP speed motor in the cart and it does 16 MPH, did 23 before the motor went out in it. Cart accelerates like it should and then hits 16 and just stays, almost like a speed sensor. I am leaning toward controller but I do not have the software to plug in to it, nor a pin out for testing. Any insight?

GCS290 09-28-2021 08:58 PM

Re: Yamaha G29 Slower after motor upgrade

It is not the controller, swapped between carts with same results. Voltage is good at controller. Any input on what to check?

Volt_Ampere 09-28-2021 09:21 PM

Do they have the same gear ratio? I have two G29's with different gear ratios. One has stock 12.5:1 and the other has 9:1 gears. Huge difference. I could not use the same motor in them.

GCS290 09-29-2021 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere (Post 1854800)
Do they have the same gear ratio? I have two G29's with different gear ratios. One has stock 12.5:1 and the other has 9:1 gears. Huge difference. I could not use the same motor in them.

Well that is a good question, Did Yamaha make a few different rears for the G29? Neither have had gears changed out since these customers have owned the carts. Thanks for the input.

camaroluvz28 09-29-2021 06:47 AM

I can verify there are a few diff rear ends...one with a wet brake system and the other is drum and pads..cannot offer gear ratios for each however and I believe they switched from wet to drum in 2015 if that helps any..

Volt_Ampere 09-29-2021 08:34 AM

There are at least three gear ratios available for the Team axle that is in my two Yamaha G29's. I think the local dealer put the 9:1 gears in my cart before sale. The 9:1 gear ratio was written on my axle with a sharpie. I verified my gear ratios on both carts because I built a speedometer that required me to know them exactly to compute speed accurately. There are a few other 9:1 carts here in Rio Verde - from the same shop I'm sure.