Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   EZGO Shuttle 6 (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=21896)

Stretch660 08-18-2009 01:34 PM

EZGO Shuttle 6

Quick question for you EZGO guys. Just picked up a late 90's shuttle 6 with engine problems. Runs fine till it heats up then it just quits. I was told it might be a timing chain issue??? :? I want to get more out of the engine. Can it be rebuilt with a bigger bore or is is better to sell (engine) and go big block? I'm not looking to break any speed records, just want to pick up the pace a bit.

Future plans are::

Lift kit ( long travel??)
23"- 26" tires
Roll Cage

Your input would be much appreciated.

Chris :thumbup:

TDOG 08-18-2009 02:10 PM

Re: EZGO Shuttle 6

Chris, check out the Gas E-Z-GO site and stickies. The gas Shuttle 6 has the 350cc engine that the 1200's and ST-350 had. I am sure you will find plenty of info about putting 295 heads on it, changing out the clutches, using a different belt, etc. What timing chain are you referring to? These cars have drive belts.

DOOmsman 08-18-2009 03:21 PM

Chris do you lose spark when it is hot?

Stretch660 08-18-2009 05:24 PM

Thanks for the replies.

TDOG, I was just going by what I was told by the person I got it from. I was assuming he was talking about an internal timing chain??? He mentioned taping on a side cover on the engine and it was a temp. fix????

DOOM, Not sure on spark. Once again, second hand info. I haven't run it till it got hot yet. Hopefully get to test it out by the weekend.

Thanks.

Chris

sccowboy 08-18-2009 08:18 PM

the coil could be going bad. when it shuts down, you can pour a little water over the coil and see if it starts back up. check the valve clearances and thoroughly clean all of the cooling fins on the head including the flywheel area. dirt accumulation will cause them to overheat and shut down. mine went as far as blowing the crank seal when it did that and once I cleaned it up it never overheated again.

mikesmotortoys 08-18-2009 08:28 PM

Taping on the side cover for a temporary fix? WOW - never tried that one at my shop:lhmo: Could I charge for this:lhmo:

OK - Sorry. "Tapping" may reconnect a broken or loose connection? You gotta know if you still have a spark. Check your ground wires and your F/R microswitch. Also some EZGO's that are older need the main fuse and fuse holder replaced.

More info please:thumbup:

sccowboy 08-18-2009 08:35 PM

if he was banging on something to get it going then must be a loose connection.

mikesmotortoys 08-18-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sccowboy (Post 265334)
if he was banging on something to get it going then must be a loose connection.

Right! Still a little unsetteling to hear!

sccowboy 08-18-2009 08:45 PM

Yep....valves too tight may cause it to overheat and if combined with the expected amount of gunk and debris in a late nineties cart could shut it down. imho.

Stretch660 08-19-2009 08:30 AM

Thanks guys,

I'm going to try to run it a bit this weekend and see if I can get it to shut down. Then I'll give it a few taps to see if that fixes it :wink:. I'll report back and post a few pics.

Thanks,

Chris.