Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   2003 G22 Front / Rear Suspension Fix? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=47406)

maplesmacbook@comcast.net 04-24-2011 10:06 PM

2003 G22 Front / Rear Suspension Fix?

2 Attachment(s)
so i had worn front shocks on my 2003 G22. I fixed the front by shimming the bottom of the springs with $5.50 worth of pipe clamps. Pics can be found here:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fb...6&l=c763476e7c

Now im just curious. Since the rear shocks are not a "Strut" type shock, can you replace them with an automotive type shock of the same size rather than ordering Yamaha ones? imma big guy and would like to have the added support if its possible.

Has anyone done this before?

Mayfair 04-25-2011 12:31 PM

Re: 2003 G22 Front / Rear Suspension Fix?

How does it ride?
Is it now bottoming out or riding hard?
Kinda curious as to why you didn't just get yourself some new shocks?

I'm not trying to put you down at all, I'm really just curious.

maplesmacbook@comcast.net 04-25-2011 01:53 PM

i didnt replace the front shocks b/c i just bought the rims this past week and have to do things in strides....(married 14 years lol). Rims were $450 (front G22 shocks are $389 for Left and right one together).

With the clamps i put on the carts front shocks it doesnt lean near as bad. I was wanting to go pick up some locally rather than order some for the rear. Had a few extra days off to tinker with it.

Mayfair 04-25-2011 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maplesmacbook@comcast.net (Post 557328)
i didnt replace the front shocks b/c i just bought the rims this past week and have to do things in strides....(married 14 years lol).

Haha - I think we ALL can relate to that!

Shocked (no pun intended) to see how expensive your front shocks are! :shock:

maplesmacbook@comcast.net 04-25-2011 06:03 PM

yea Yamaha is really proud of their G22 Front Shocks. Whats funny is that they are different prices but just a reverse of one another.

I would like to find some HD Shocks for the rear tho. I'd prefer not to use the stock: JN4-F2210. I read somewhere that a person used Gabriel Automotive shocks $19.99 each for the rear, but im not of the "I read it on the internet so its gotta be true" community. I'd prefer to hear it from some of the more seasoned experienced addicted cart people here.

Thanks for your replies!:mrgreen:

trkbilder 04-25-2011 06:10 PM

This was on here a few weeks ago, see if it helps.

Rhino 660 coilover shocks on a G19?
It was a couple of weeks ago. Look on the last couple of pages.

maplesmacbook@comcast.net 04-25-2011 09:11 PM

thanks a ton. i'll check into that. i found the thread. seems alot of people are using them. Works for me : )

maplesmacbook@comcast.net 04-27-2011 08:59 PM

update. i picked up two gabriel shocks. 14.23 inch Ex Length. Put them on the rear. it sank like a ship with a hole in it. NEWS FLASH lol. if your cart doesnt have leaf springs...automotive normal shocks wont work haha. haha. I R OLD CAT.... : (

Mayfair 04-28-2011 11:31 AM

Haha!
It's a learning experience. Hopefully you saved the boxes so that they can be returned.

maplesmacbook@comcast.net 04-28-2011 11:01 PM

sadly i had to modify the eyelets to fit the suspension supports. but i only did one. they were only $19.99 each so i'll take the other back when i have some free time. not too too worried about it. yes it was a major LEARNING experience.

im a little curious tho. the more i get underneath my cart...the more i get the compulsive urge to just tear the whole *** thing apart to the frame and completely rebuild it from ground up. Giving each and every part all the attention the external part of the cart got. Is this kinda normal for the rest of you OCD cart people?

I mean, i practically got hypnotized by watching one man ( a preacher or evangilist i believe) take a cart from ground up and making a low rider with tons of diamond plate. he documented the whole thing and it was so pleasing to just sit back in my man cave and watch his 300+ photo slide show of his work.