Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Yamaha G1 starter generator test (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=38067)

ky_mike 09-02-2010 12:14 PM

Yamaha G1 starter generator test

Just throwing this out there for anybody like me that didn't know how to test a starter/generator. This is how I tested mine and there may be other ways to do it, but this ended up being pretty simple.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...t/df3eea6a.jpg

First off there are 4 posts on the starter each should be stamped A1, A2, F1 and F2 as in the diagram above. There should also be a green wire and a red wire coming out the side of the starter. I disconnected all cables and wires prior to testing.

Connect post F2 to the positive terminal on your carts battery and A1 to the negative terminal. Now if you connect A2 directly to F1 your starter should spin forward.

For reverse connect F2 to positive terminal of battery and A2 to the negative terminal. Now if you connect A1 directly to F1 the starter should run in reverse.

The last thing I did was check the Ohms running through the red and green wires. To do this use a voltmeter set to Ohms (looks like an upside down horseshoe symbol) touching the green wire with one probe and the red wire with the other you should read about 5 Ohms.

Hopefully this will save you some time if you were wondering if your starter was bad. Took me a while to figure out on my own without a repair manual.

rvrnmfo 04-06-2011 05:42 AM

Re: Yamaha G1 starter generator test

This is just what i was looking for. I will test mine today. thanks......

CajunLoneWolf 06-28-2011 09:11 AM

I wonder if this test would work on a g8 starter

weemans126 10-06-2011 10:01 PM

how can you tell if its charging the battery? thanks this was really useful to get my cart running.

technoid 10-07-2011 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weemans126 (Post 631924)
how can you tell if its charging the battery? thanks this was really useful to get my cart running.

put a volt meter on the battery. Rev up your cart to full speed. You should see voltage above 12.5 DC volts. Even as high as 17 volts.

bigstik40 10-07-2011 03:35 PM

That is the proper test, except the voltage, if the regulator is ok, should be 14.5-15.5 Volts. 17 volts would indicate a bad VR. - RAY

paulhut 10-08-2011 07:56 PM

Sticky this thread. This is great information.

rherzner 10-10-2011 05:33 PM

wow this is great info the working man usually has to pay for this thanks

ky_mike 10-10-2011 07:40 PM

Thanks guys!

Nice to give back to the forum that helped me rebuild my cart.

Rappy SE 10-23-2011 08:29 PM

Now I have a g9 and did this same test but mine ran opposite of what yours did hooked up the way you explained. Would this mean mine is bad?

chevyhead 05-10-2012 08:15 PM

I have a 84 yamaha gas cart, with everything hooked up properly, when i push the pedal the starter moves like a inch, when i take the belt off, it turns, but not very strong. any ideas???????

kantuckian 06-04-2012 06:25 AM

Thanks Good to know

septo 06-06-2012 08:52 PM

I tried the test above and got nothing in either direction. Can I assume the starter generator id dead? How quickly would it go bad. I was driving the cart spraying my yard, stopped, and when I went to move again, it eas dead. In the blink of an eye basically. Is this typical?

kantuckian 01-09-2013 07:57 AM

good info

kantuckian 11-11-2013 06:38 PM

good info

technoid 11-13-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstik40 (Post 632160)
That is the proper test, except the voltage, if the regulator is ok, should be 14.5-15.5 Volts. 17 volts would indicate a bad VR. - RAY

Just my opinion and years of experience with batterys, generators, Dc motors, and charging systems. What ever happened to using an ammeter to check charging current? All battery chargers read in amps. So why are we just looking at voltage as the reference? You can over charge a battery on just 3/4 of an amp. Not very noticable on a cheap volt meter. There are some very nice shunt reading ammeters available on the market.

af4sos 06-18-2014 10:28 AM

I was just about to try this test because my cart stopped running unexplainedly, but I decided to check my connections first and I found an old quick disconnect connector I didn't like. I had no loose connections so I replaced all of my terminal rings and the cart started and ran great.

I popped off the dust cover to check my brushes and they looked ok so after all of the lurking around this forum I've learned a lot about electrical work and my cart.

Thanks all!

kantuckian 06-19-2014 06:43 AM

Starter gen test

stalt 07-06-2014 11:19 PM

testing is all fine and dandy if the previous owner did any service at all. I inherited my cart a few years back at a campsite we bought. I figured it was 25 years old at teh time so I was pretty much going to run it till she dropped, Well she dropped! I figured it was probably the starter generator and check out what the brushes looked like when I opened them up!

I could only get one screw out without stripping it and that brush broke off right where the wire is connected. If anyone sees anythign esle going on here let me know. I will replace the Voltage Regulator at the same time as the warranty on the generators is only covered if proper voltage provided.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tj7fhc8g0t...2019.15.32.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7ystabwv4s...2019.15.56.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ebdlewbdxt...2019.16.13.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ad4r1rjvyq...2019.17.45.jpg

Mncollector 08-07-2014 09:58 PM

Hi I am new to this everything has been very helpful. So I did the test and the starter spun just like it should so I put it all back together and same thing the selenoid just clicks and the starter does nothing and I just replaced the selenoid and power is getting to the starter so if anyone has any tips on what to try next it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Mncollector 08-10-2014 03:49 PM

Anybody have any suggestions?

cgtech 08-10-2014 05:19 PM

Pull two of the rubber plugs and check the brushes. They are carbon blocks, riding in a small steel guide. If the brush is not taller than the guide it rides in, brushes are toast. New brushes are a good amount taller than the brush-holder (more than 1/4" above).

aven2rus 11-13-2016 10:04 PM

I have performed this test and works properly.

Also checked my wiring to the diagram I found on here.

However when I hookup the positive cable the battery starts to boil.

I picked this up with he battery out, solenoids and starter/generator disconnected. As mentioned I verified everything this to a diagram I found on here and moved a questionable ground.

kantuckian 11-19-2016 08:05 AM

good test

aven2rus 11-23-2016 02:52 PM

Wanted to add I found a dead short in the starter/generator causing the short.

justduinit 06-15-2017 04:58 PM

Should the starter be able to turn the engine over fast enough to start the engine during this test? With no belt on it spins good but with belt on it barely turns engine over.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

crazyjc 07-21-2017 01:05 PM

Good info

kahn67 08-27-2018 05:52 PM

thanks really needed this info service manual not clear on this

Golf cart guy1204 09-15-2018 07:40 PM

Help pls, when i turn the key and press the gas nothing happens, its silent, no solenoid clicks, doesnt turnover, no noise at all

cgtech 09-15-2018 09:47 PM

Start a new thread (if you have not already). This issue is not a starter/generator issue, but a different electrical problem altogether.