Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Removing Drive Clutch (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=4308)

whitetail436 04-10-2008 01:33 PM

Removing Drive Clutch

in order to remove the drive clutch do you only need to remove the one bolt in the center and then use a puller or is there anything else to be removed first? for example does the starter belt have to be removed before removal of the clutch? thanks

4x4 CC 04-10-2008 06:04 PM

Re: Removing Drive Clutch

All belts need to be taken off.

whitetail436 04-12-2008 07:03 AM

when i try to remove the clutch it gets exceedingly difficult to turn the bolt and hold the clutch at the same time any ideas? should it be that hard to turn?

scottyb 04-12-2008 07:11 AM

LEFT HAND THREADS !!!
Bolt holding the drive clutch on is lefthand thread...Changed mine and did not hold the clutch but used a 1/2" impact...it was kinda stuck on there as it was original 2000 equipment. The puller was threaded right hand...Again I gently used a 3/8 impact. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

marine engineer 08-30-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 62814)
LEFT HAND THREADS !!!
Bolt holding the drive clutch on is lefthand thread...Changed mine and did not hold the clutch but used a 1/2" impact...it was kinda stuck on there as it was original 2000 equipment. The puller was threaded right hand...Again I gently used a 3/8 impact. Hope this helps. :thumbup:

Apparently scottyb dosent know the definition of LEFT HANDED THREADS. Left handed threads mean you turn the bolt to the right to loosen and left to tighten. People are going to read his answer and try like hell loosening that bolt by turning it to the right. The poor guy is still crankin' the bolt to the right to try and get it loose. Thanks for the info dude. You even posted in capitalized RED letters with 3 exclamation points.

roady89 08-30-2008 01:31 PM

Scotty said
Quote:

LEFT HAND THREADS !!!
Bolt holding the drive clutch on is lefthand thread...

He did not say which way to turn the bolt to loosen it. Scotty informed the person it was left hand thread AFTER the person tried to remove his bolt.....get it...AFTER

Scotty then stated his puller was right hand thread.....has nothing to do with the bolt. Only thing I see wrong in this topic is your rude unjustified comment.

scottyb 08-30-2008 01:34 PM

Excuse me ! Everybody except a ******* engineer knew what I meant. Thank you for that . Sure hope you don't intend to ask for any advice or help after THAT INTRO BUTHEAD! :thumbup:

MrWicked 09-02-2008 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyb (Post 90725)
Excuse me ! Everybody except a ******* engineer knew what I meant. Thank you for that . Sure hope you don't intend to ask for any advice or help after THAT INTRO BUTHEAD! :thumbup:

Now that is funny I dont care who you are ! ROTFLMAO ! :lol:

golfishunts 09-02-2008 12:09 PM

i laughed a bit too! :thumbup:

whitetail436 09-04-2008 03:25 PM

that is pretty funny. i already knew how to get the retaining bolt out. the problem was the removal of the clutch. funny thing is that after having problems the first time i tried again and used a punch to go in the shaft and then screw a grade 8 bolt in to push it off. it would come off even with an impact. now the punch was stuck in there. i was so pissed i just left it in there and started driving with no clutch retaining bolt hoping the clutch would fall off. no such luck. i have been driving the cart ever since with no retaining bolt in and the punch still sitting in there. one day i might try again when i feel like getting aggravated. my next try i think i might drill a hole through a grade 8 bolt. tap the top and put in a grease fitting. then pump away and hope to pop it off. a friend said it would work because of the hydraulic pressure? what do you guys think? will it work?

DOOmsman 09-08-2008 03:02 PM

Did you use a hardened punch? If not drill it and use a small slap hammer and bolt to pull it. I have never seen the grease only method work but gobs of grease and the puller will work. When you get it apart and are reassembling it, remember NEVER SIEZE is your best friend, put a dab on, spin the clutch on the shaft, remove clutch and wipe excess off. Good Luck.

TWISTED WORKING ON WILD

4vertical 09-12-2008 05:18 PM

i have heard of the grease trick working. but you need to fill the hole up with grease and then drive in a bolt. I don't think you can make enough pressure with a grease gun.

with mine i have to drive in my remover(only like 20 at my dealer, and well worth it) then i go from the back side and give it a tap or 2 with a 2x4 on the back of the clutch. notice i said tap. I can't be held responsible if ya go crazy and f'up the clutch

-Aaron

Waterfreak66 10-27-2008 12:20 PM

2x4 and a sledge will knock the drive clutch off

shadowman 10-27-2008 12:43 PM

i never tried the grease on a C.C. but i can tell you for sure it works on E-Z go...............................8)

rusty 10-27-2008 11:18 PM

Welcome to the forum Waterfreak66................

Waterfreak66 10-28-2008 06:58 AM

Thanks Rusty. I've built a lot of corvettes and one bad a** Kawi Brute Force 750 atv, but this is my first go around with golf carts.

whitetail436 10-29-2008 08:25 AM

the funny thing is i am still driving around with no clutch retaining bolt. i still havent wanted to go through any aggravation to get it off of there. maybe one day when i am feeling really patient ill give it a go. thanks for all the great advice.

shadowman 10-29-2008 09:10 AM

after re-reading this i assume you didn,t try with the puller........C.C. makes a clutch puller bolt for the drive clutch......all you do is take the center bolt out and then put the puller bolt in and tighten it down as you tighten it .......it will pop the clutch off in no time........the puller is 14.99 i beleive plus shipping its about 6 to 8 inches long just a strait shaft with threads up right below the head of it put in hole where center bolt was and pop off she comes as you tighten down........the drive clutch is on a tapered shaft the crankshaft.........i have never seen the puller not pop the clutch off and its much easier than a lot of E-Z go,s................should take you all of 10 minutes....................................8)

CartTrader 10-29-2008 12:18 PM

Thats a deal Tom, where do you get them for that? Ebay wants $42.99 before shipping for it.

shadowman 10-29-2008 03:13 PM

yeah i know lots of places wanted over 50 bucks for it.........got it at cartparts................15.99 plus shipping i think in the end total was like 22.00 dollars.......................................8)

highrollinmopars 11-06-2008 08:40 PM

I called them today and they said the puller was like 48 bucks. What gives?

agsbill 11-06-2008 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highrollinmopars (Post 108644)

TRY LVS sales $17.99

Bill

http://www.lvssales.com/store/produc...&cat=79&page=1

shadowman 11-08-2008 10:47 AM

cart parts has 2 different pricing levels...............i was also gonna mention lvssales its easier for the average person to buy from and while some people don,t like dealing with them some of their prices for OEM parts can,t be touched by anyone else..............if you can,t get one let me know if i ride up camp i,ll grab it and mail it to you and when your done just return it............if you break it send me a new one but i have never seen one break............................................. ......8)

timbo2 11-19-2008 12:18 AM

Take The Bolt Out And Pump The Bolt Hole Full Of Grease Then Put The Clutch Puller In And Hit It A Few Times With A Impact Wrench And It Will Come Right Off

handyrob1973 06-22-2009 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highrollinmopars (Post 108644)

i am new to this stie, i have a 83 ez go gas cart lifted look at my pictures. and i have a couple of questions. this is my first golf cart and i am having problems getting the clutch off to. do i have to take the motor out? because it will not slide past the back axle.:banghead: i will take some pics of it tommorow and post them on here.and also does anyone have a used one that they would like to sell. thanks:thumbup:

PIB-My-Ride 03-04-2010 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just starting to tackle the removal of the Drive Clutch. It seemed earlier in this thread that ScottyB back-peddled about the "Left Handed Threads" controversy, but according to the red ring on my '01 CC DS, he was 100% correct....

jjlotto 04-28-2010 06:49 AM

hi can you tell me the size of the puller bolt please

turbotbirds 04-20-2014 12:18 AM

Quote:

LEFT HAND THREADS !!!

I know this thread is really, really old but I was having an issue removing my bolt (it was stuck) and came across this thread. Well I figured I had found the problem since the threads were "left hand", and did not read the entire thread since I though I found the issue.

Well, after stripping the head of the bolt, breaking a ratchet and finally welding a socket to the bolt and re-reading the entire thread I saw that it was later determined the threads are normal and it is lefty loosey and righty tighty! LOL

For future carters, could you remove that post so no one else runs into the same thing! John

lockman1 04-20-2014 07:49 AM

I can see where there may be some confusion with which way the drive clutch retaining bolt gets removed,
So... here's a little clarification on Club Car drive clutch retaining bolts!

From 1996 to 1997, Club Car changed the rotation of the engine from counter clockwise... to clockwise! :roll:
and the drive clutch retaining bolt threads must be opposite of the engine rotation in order for it to not spin itself loose!

1985 to 1996 (counter clockwise engine rotation) ~ Standard SAE (or right hand) threads.
1997 to the present (clockwise engine rotation) ~ Reverse (or left hand) threads.

So technically, Scottyb was correct with left hand threads on his 2000 CC! and his post will not be removed. :wink:

You need to keep in mind of the year of your Club Car in order for you to determine which way your drive clutch retaining bolt will remove!

The drive clutch "Puller" uses a different set of threads, and is standard SAE (right hand) threads on all years.
The driven clutch has a key, and is not pressed on like the drive clutch, so that bolt will also be standard SAE threads for all years.

Hope this helps!

8)

scottyb 04-20-2014 01:11 PM

An easy mistake to make welcome to BGW.

turbotbirds 04-20-2014 02:21 PM

Thanks for the welcome, this is a great site and I have found lots of great info. I've been looking for a while, and love the info the community gives. That is good info about the years and what bolt thread it uses!

I guess I should have clarified, it would be great if Scotty would modify his post to include the years that are left hand so that suckers like me that don't read the entire thread see it sooner than later, LOL.

When I google searched the topic, this thread came up on the top hits!

lockman1 04-20-2014 06:40 PM

Sadly, BGW members have maybe a 2 hour window to edit their posts, so Scotty can't go back and edit it!
That's pretty much why I tried to clarify things!
and... hopefully the next person looking for the answer to your same question will read through far enough to see what I posted!

Whoops!... :oops: Welcome to BGW John! :thumbup:

pgagreg 06-04-2014 08:36 PM

Here's a trick from the snowmobile world - will only work in winter or in a giant freezer.

remove clutch bolt, tip cart on side, fill hole with water, wrap bolt with pipe tape and thread in snug - when the water freezes it will expand and pop the clutch off :)

Capt.Jack 06-05-2014 07:42 AM

Club car makes a puller tool for this. you can buy one online for about 30 dollars. It will make life vary easy for you. I have also before when I didn't own the tool jammed wedges behind the clutch and got it off that way, but you will most likely damage the clutch and need a new one. as for the grease fitting idea it might work. I would just go for the wedges personally.

robbiescd 06-05-2014 10:52 PM

I once had a clutch puller break smooth off in the clutch! Was a customers cart and I didn't know what to do. I used the 2x4 method to remove the clutch. Sprayed the shaft down and let it sit overnight. Took a 2x4 and banged all around the clutch (not too hard!). After a ton of sweat and nerves, it finally popped off. Had to send the clutch to a machine shop to get the broken puller out of the clutch.

After that, I bought the highest grade puller I could find. Never wanted my puller to break off in the clutch again!

Sledcart 06-09-2014 09:49 PM

Harbor Freight universal Wheel puller $12.00. works fine.

Stone 09-23-2015 07:29 AM

Old threads need love too:)

After reading this thread and having a few chuckles, I have a couple questions.

1. Can anyone tell me if my 86 Marathon clutch bolt is left or right handed threads?

2. Can anyone tell me the exact bolt size to pull the clutch? I went to Tractor Supply and bought 4 grade 8 bolts in preparation to pull the clutch but am not going to be able to do it for a while and would like to return all but the one I will ultimately need.

3. How do I avoid damaging the female threads for the clutch bolt with the puller rod?

villebacker 09-30-2015 01:23 PM

Read through this thread. I made mine from bolts from TSC and the bolt sizes are in my reply.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...ch-puller.html

lockman1 09-30-2015 01:52 PM

He's asking about an EZ-GO clutch villebacker!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stone (Post 1201767)
1. Can anyone tell me if my 86 Marathon clutch bolt is left or right handed threads?

and to be honest? I don't know! :dontknow:

deestes 10-14-2015 01:19 PM

I used hydraulic pressure to pull mine, tipped it up, filled with oil, thread taped the bolt, and ran it in... Popped right off