Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G9 transmission (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=148250)

dacheedah 12-01-2018 03:44 PM

G9 transmission

I have searched for am answer regarding the trans and not found it. I have been working on a G9 project on and off for about a year. It runs fine forward however will not shift into reverse. I have tried adjusting and now removed the shift cables and tried to manually change it to reverse with no luck.

This was a basket case when I got it. The PO did remove the trans governor arm and I have tried moving that in either direction, the governor arm does move freely.

When I first got it I did refresh the fluids and the rear gear oil looked clean, the motor was a basket case so I have gone the clone route.

Do I need to pull and open up the transmission or is there something I am missing to get it to shift ? Should I be able to shift it manually with the cables off?

Thanks

smallblock450sl 12-01-2018 04:41 PM

Re: G9 transmission

With the shift lever off the trans shifter shaft, install the lock nut on the shaft. Use it to manually shift from forward to neutral and reverse by trying to spin the input shaft/ secondary clutch (with the belt off). if it does go into gear and neutral, carefully alighn the the shift lever "dot" with the corresponding "line" on the shifter shaft. Several times I've seen the reinstallation of the lever incorrect and this can cause the "push/pull" operation of the cables. It can also lead to the cables not being in the proper relation to the forward shifter cam. If you can not shift it manually, then yes the trans would have to be split apart. Do not forget a new gasket if it is taken apart for inspection. Good luck:thumbup:

dacheedah 12-02-2018 12:55 AM

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Shepard 12-02-2018 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacheedah (Post 1564186)
I have searched for am answer regarding the trans and not found it. I have been working on a G9 project on and off for about a year. It runs fine forward however will not shift into reverse. I have tried adjusting and now removed the shift cables and tried to manually change it to reverse with no luck.

This was a basket case when I got it. The PO did remove the trans governor arm and I have tried moving that in either direction, the governor arm does move freely.

When I first got it I did refresh the fluids and the rear gear oil looked clean, the motor was a basket case so I have gone the clone route.

Do I need to pull and open up the transmission or is there something I am missing to get it to shift ? Should I be able to shift it manually with the cables off?

Thanks

The shift lever on a g2-9 turns clockwise moving the shift bar to the left engaging the forward gear. The shift bar has 2 grooves in it for a detent ball to fall into holding it in gear. When you shift into reverse - the shift lever turns counterclockwise and slides the bar moves to the right. If the transmission was disassembled by an inexperienced mechanic -- I'll make a bet you'll find that detent ball in the pocket the shift bar slides in. Unscrew the bolt that is inline with the shift lever on the front of the transaxle. This bolt holds the spring and ball under tension on the shift bar. Should be a spring pushing on a ball bearing - you may need a magnet to fish the ball out of the bottom of the pocket. Good luck.

dacheedah 12-02-2018 06:22 PM

Following up, the bottom cable was rusted and stuck. Thats on my order list now.

With that off I still can not shift so I followed Shepards advice.

I pulled the bolt and spring and it will shift freely with wheels turning correctly. I tried a magnet to locate the ball bearing or detent and did not have any luck. The magnets I have are too big and will not make it in. I tried looking with a light and mirror , Should have tried a picture, and I am not seeing the bearing. I will look for a smaller magnet or try to get a better view inside.

Getting ahead of myself , My next questions are it possible for this detent to escape into the trans? Or is it likely the po lost a part.

Thanks in advance

Km

Shepard 12-03-2018 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
There is no way for the detent ball to escape under normal use. It's a disassembly issue. It can happen if the case is split and pulled apart without understanding all of what's going on. Here is a picture of a new shift bar with the old shift bar laying on top. The grooves at the end and a ball and spring are what holds the transaxle in gear. I cut a groove for neutral in the middle of the two existing grooves to help hold it and signal it's in neutral.

Shepard 12-03-2018 10:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the shift mechanism. My first transmission had a ball instead of what's pictured. It still can fall into the hole if the shift bar is pulled out without removing the spring and ball or plunger.

dacheedah 12-12-2018 05:24 PM

Thank you, I did notice their was no washer and the spring looks suspect. i ordered new parts detent, spring, washer and bolt in addition to cables. I still need to magnetize something to fish out the old detent, usually use a allen wrench and go for magnetizing the long end. I will update when this is done.

dacheedah 08-09-2020 02:42 PM

Could not get the detent out and was forced to pull the rear end. No bumping or gravity would have it exit the hole. I did split the rear and even then i had to take a piece of solid #12 wire to get it moving out. new gasket and I have it reassembled.