Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   RXV Curtis Controller won't move (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=184864)

mgray70 06-13-2022 07:42 PM

RXV Curtis Controller won't move

I need some help from some of you RXV guys! I don't work on many of these yet. I'm not sure if the year, but it is a Curtis controller. When I turn the key to reverse or forward, it will power up and jump, but that's it. I had to remove the motor brake to load it up. I was thinking a bad motor brake? Still will not move with the brake removed, but still connected. Where should I start?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Volt_Ampere 06-13-2022 07:51 PM

Re: RXV Curtis Controller won't move

It won't move with the brake disabled or removed. Safety feature. It does a test to make sure the brake works during startup.

mgray70 06-13-2022 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere (Post 1894262)
It won't move with the brake disabled or removed. Safety feature. It does a test to make sure the brake works during startup.

Ok, I had read on here to remove the brake and leave the wires connected to see if it would move. So you think it's a bad brake also?

Volt_Ampere 06-13-2022 08:43 PM

I don't have any direct RXV experience but I have seen info here on how to diagnose brake problems.

cartdoc1969 06-13-2022 08:59 PM

If the cart jumps during the startup test, it has a bad brake. One of the startup tests is the controller will try to rotate the motor 1/4 turn in each direction. If the controller sees any movement during the brake test it will fail and not allow the cart to run. You can pull the brake and disassemble it. Clean the parts and see if that helps. Make sure not to over tighten the mounting bolts. Only tighten the three mounting bolts just enough to flatten the lock washers.

SBIRD! 06-13-2022 09:11 PM

The brake should ohm around 25-28.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...ke+replacement

mgray70 06-14-2022 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartdoc1969 (Post 1894272)
If the cart jumps during the startup test, it has a bad brake. One of the startup tests is the controller will try to rotate the motor 1/4 turn in each direction. If the controller sees any movement during the brake test it will fail and not allow the cart to run. You can pull the brake and disassemble it. Clean the parts and see if that helps. Make sure not to over tighten the mounting bolts. Only tighten the three mounting bolts just enough to flatten the lock washers.

That's exactly what it's doing! Thanks!

mgray70 06-23-2022 07:56 PM

Ok, I still need some help. Installed the new brake and still no go. The cart still does the brake check, however the cart doesn't jump like it did, so I'm think good, the brake is holding, but still no go. I've tried connecting my programmer, but the pins are corroded on the cart side and won't connect. These controllers don't have the direct molex connector. I've sprayed contact cleaner, but doesn't help.
What else will clean that corrosion safely? Is this the same connector as the txt48? The pins line up, but won't lock in.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...bbb04bec0c.jpg

cartdoc1969 06-24-2022 04:14 AM

Try this. Pull both pedals back towards the seat then turn the cart on, see it it will run then. Are you getting a quick chirp from the reverse beeper during the startup tests ?

mgray70 06-26-2022 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartdoc1969 (Post 1895835)
Try this. Pull both pedals back towards the seat then turn the cart on, see it it will run then. Are you getting a quick chirp from the reverse beeper during the startup tests ?

I get the normal brake check and reverse buzzer if it's in reverse. No chirp. Cart is not moving like before, but still won't move afterwards. Still getting buzzer in reverse. Got my pins cleaner, but my programmer still won't connect to let me see what it's showing. I did notice some slight wear on the motor side of the shaft where the brake mounts onto. How much movement would cause it to fail? Couldn't be more than a 16th or less. Mostly on the edges. Any suggestions on connecting the programmer? Could it be the controller?

cartdoc1969 06-26-2022 09:22 PM

The controller will check the reverse buzzer during the startup tests. It's one of the last tests in the sequence and will not pass if it doesn't see it. I believe on the Curtis units the reverse buzzer can be turned off in the settings. You'll need to get the connection clean enough so the handheld can communicate with the controller. I would take a close look at the wiring harness for corrosion or poor connections. Check the run plug under the cup holder, it's a common failure point.

mgray70 06-28-2022 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartdoc1969 (Post 1896409)
The controller will check the reverse buzzer during the startup tests. It's one of the last tests in the sequence and will not pass if it doesn't see it. I believe on the Curtis units the reverse buzzer can be turned off in the settings. You'll need to get the connection clean enough so the handheld can communicate with the controller. I would take a close look at the wiring harness for corrosion or poor connections. Check the run plug under the cup holder, it's a common failure point.

I've checked the run port underneath the cup holder. Does have a little green corrosion film. Sprayed contact cleaner and plugged and unplugged a few times.
Got the programmer plug pretty clean. Can get the power light and rx light to illuminate on the Curtis computer USB. Still will come connect. It's powering up and going through the test, but will not move. Reverse buzzer works. Good battery voltage. I just don't know where to look on these carts. A TXT I could fix with no problem. Just haven't worked on many of these. I hate to throw parts at it. I'm wondering if it's the controller being that it will not connect?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...d6c6cbf425.jpg

mgray70 06-28-2022 07:00 PM

This is what I get every time! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...b91c03ccee.jpg

mgray70 06-29-2022 04:13 AM

Anyone? I know there are some good RXV guys on here!

usgicollector 06-29-2022 06:51 AM

First have you ever used this programming station before?

Do you have the software to run this in your laptop computer?

If so, I would say it's not communicating with your laptop.

Something wrong with the EZGO cable or pins.

mgray70 06-29-2022 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usgicollector (Post 1896890)
First have you ever used this programming station before?

Do you have the software to run this in your laptop computer?

If so, I would say it's not communicating with your laptop.

Something wrong with the EZGO cable or pins.

Oh yes, used it all the time on Club Cars and TXT 48. I just don't know anything about these RXV carts! Glad you pooped on here! From some of the other post I've read, you seem to be pretty knowledgeable about these.
I just don't want to go throwing parts like controllers at it, and cost me and the customer a pile of money. Other than the brake, that's as far as my diagnostic abilities go with these things as far as a volt meter is concerned. Coil ohms are around 27, cart doesn't lunge anymore during the test. There was some slight wear on the shaft where the brake mounts, just kinda shiny. Have no clue where to start checking three wiring harness for corrosion, or anything like that. So far all looks good. It's a good looking cart that has been kept inside. 2012 model.
Thanks for the reply!

usgicollector 06-29-2022 07:20 AM

For right now you need to find out why it's not communicating with the controller. Plug the programming station into something else just to make sure it is working just to eliminate that possibility. You could have something wrong with the plug or worst scenario the controller is gone.

mgray70 06-29-2022 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usgicollector (Post 1896897)
For right now you need to find out why it's not communicating with the controller. Plug the programming station into something else just to make sure it is working just to eliminate that possibility. You could have something wrong with the plug or worst scenario the controller is gone.

Yep, that is where I'm stuck at. The EZGO pin on the cart side was corroded pretty bad. Cleaned it with contact cleaner and got it fairly decent looking, but still no luck. Any other controller I could go directly to the molex connector, but not these I guess. I guess I need to find another connector for the cart side and splice it in and try that first, unless you have anything better to try?

mgray70 06-29-2022 07:41 AM

Quote:

I have used the programmer on a Club Car since with a different adapter. I guess I could ohm each pin in the ezgo to see if there is any open pins in it. I'm not at it right now, but I'll check that.

mgray70 06-29-2022 07:42 AM

Quote:

These controllers do use the same software as the DC Curtis controllers? Correct?

usgicollector 06-29-2022 08:03 AM

Programming Station yes.

Curtis's software is different.

I hope that is what your asking.

mgray70 06-29-2022 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usgicollector (Post 1896906)
Programming Station yes.

Curtis's software is different.

I hope that is what your asking.

That may be my problem then. I'm using the same software as the DC stuff. Can you point to the correct software?

usgicollector 06-29-2022 08:14 AM

The software I'm talking about is the controllers. You should be able to see both the programming's just what you can do to one is different. You can do a lot more to a RXV controller compared to a TXT controller.

kgsc 06-29-2022 08:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Check the colors on the wires going into your diag plug and see if they match the ones in the attached pic. You could replace the port with the end of an ATX extension cable.

mgray70 06-29-2022 08:43 AM

Oh ok, so my software on my computer is adequate enough to do what I need if I can get it to connect? That's what I was asking. I thought I had pic of the wires on my phone, but my hand is covering the wires. It's the same pic I posted earlier in this thread of the corroded connector.

mgray70 06-29-2022 11:58 AM

I do have those same wire colors. The pins are much better than they were as far as corrosion is concerned, but still not great. I have ohm the wires on my EZGO adapter to make sure it's good, and it is. Where can I find that ATX extension plug with those same wire colors? Any other trick to cleaning those pins other than contact cleaner? Dielectric grease would help would it?
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...10b074f6d9.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...421600b067.jpg

kgsc 06-29-2022 12:24 PM

Well the picture I showed you is the adapter that allows you to use the freedom dongle with the new style square molex port. You could buy one of those and splice it in. Or just buy an ATX extension from Amazon and donít worry about the colors except to make sure they match. Part number for the adapter is 647220. Another option would be to get the diagnostic port extension that ezgo uses with the 48txt carts. It is basically just an ATX extension to get the cable outside of the controller cover. Donít know that part number

usgicollector 06-29-2022 12:33 PM

If you splice them in solder the wires and use heat shrink tubing to seal things up.

mgray70 06-29-2022 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kgsc (Post 1896955)
Well the picture I showed you is the adapter that allows you to use the freedom dongle with the new style square molex port. You could buy one of those and splice it in. Or just buy an ATX extension from Amazon and donít worry about the colors except to make sure they match. Part number for the adapter is 647220. Another option would be to get the diagnostic port extension that ezgo uses with the 48txt carts. It is basically just an ATX extension to get the cable outside of the controller cover. Donít know that part number

Thanks for your help! I'm gonna confirm that I have a good that the connections are good from the controller to the computer, and after that it would be safe to say that the controller would be bad as why it won't connect. Would you agree?

usgicollector 06-29-2022 06:31 PM

I might say that most of the bad RXV controllers I get I still can get into the logic on the controller. They might not put out 5v, or give out any negative to solenoid but like I said most of the time I can get into the logic part of the controller. Now saying that, that controller might be shot.

mgray70 06-29-2022 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usgicollector (Post 1897018)
I might say that most of the bad RXV controllers I get I still can get into the logic on the controller. They might not put out 5v, or give out any negative to solenoid but like I said most of the time I can get into the logic part of the controller. Now saying that, that controller might be shot.

I got ya! It powers up and does the test, but I can't tell if it's failed and shutting down, or if it's something else like a bad throttle signal or switch.

usgicollector 06-30-2022 03:56 AM

Yes, normally I can see the faults with the programming station, but the controller is bad. You're unable to connect with the controller and your diagnostic plug isn't in the best of shape. I know you said that the plug and wiring is good but myself I would need to prove that to myself before I would scrap that controller.

mgray70 06-30-2022 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usgicollector (Post 1897053)
Yes, normally I can see the faults with the programming station, but the controller is bad. You're unable to connect with the controller and your diagnostic plug isn't in the best of shape. I know you said that the plug and wiring is good but myself I would need to prove that to myself before I would scrap that controller.

Yes, that my plan. I plan to connect everything and see if I have good continuity on each wire on both sides of the plug. I think At least one pin is possible bad. I go on vacation Saturday for next week and was just hoping to at least figure it out before I leave, so I could have the parts on the way so the owner won't have to wait another week for parts after I get back. Golf Carts have been a side business for me since 2016, but looking at retiring this fall and doing it full time. This is only the 2nd RXV I've worked on other than just battery swaps!
Thanks for the help!

cartdoc1969 06-30-2022 01:31 PM

You can troubleshoot it without a handheld but it's more time and work. Basically you eliminate everything by taking voltage readings at the controller plug. I have to do that with the Danaher controllers. You will need a set of piercing probes for a meter. We can check all the inputs and outputs and go from there. Correct me if I'm wrong, the issue with the cart is the brake not releasing ?

The first thing to check is the 5 volt output (pin 15, orange wire). I believe the ground for that is pin 18. I'll double check when I get to the shop.

mgray70 06-30-2022 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by usgicollector (Post 1897053)

Ok, so finally got the computer to connect. Apparently my twist lock mechanism on the adapter wasn't letting the pins go deep enough into the female pins. I cut the twist lock off and it connected. Showing no active faults, but a list in the history. The top error should be the latest one correct? Bad solenoid? Gonna clear them and start up again to see what happens, but have to do a quick errand and I'll be right back to. Glad to figure the connection issue out at least! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...7d14950ca6.jpg

mgray70 06-30-2022 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cartdoc1969 (Post 1897131)
You can troubleshoot it without a handheld but it's more time and work. Basically you eliminate everything by taking voltage readings at the controller plug. I have to do that with the Danaher controllers. You will need a set of piercing probes for a meter. We can check all the inputs and outputs and go from there. Correct me if I'm wrong, the issue with the cart is the brake not releasing ?

The first thing to check is the 5 volt output (pin 15, orange wire). I believe the ground for that is pin 18. I'll double check when I get to the shop.

I did finally connect the computer. Cleared the codes. Switch on the cart again. Solenoid clicks and does the brake test. No go, no codes. Solenoid coil voltage at start up went to 36v during click like I expected and then settled at 28v. Is that normal?

mgray70 06-30-2022 06:46 PM

Hallelujah! Changed the solenoid and she runs! All this over a solenoid! Glad I didn't but another controller! Thanks guys!

cartdoc1969 06-30-2022 07:00 PM

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update

usgicollector 06-30-2022 07:54 PM

Great job it always feels good to get them going again...

Thanks for the update...