Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric golf carts (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   1989 ezgo (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=22036)

PIII 08-21-2009 04:11 PM

1989 ezgo

i bought a 1989 ezgo that has a lift and back seat on it. nothing has been upgraded on it. i'm going to upgrade the wires to 4guage and i want to to know what else needed to be ugraded to get it to run properly. it runs now but not as fast as it should. i can't upgrade everything at once so what would be the first thing i need to upgrade. thanks.

dougmcp 08-21-2009 04:47 PM

Re: 1989 ezgo

Your on the right track, 4ga wires would be my first upgrade.
Check back after that's done and then you can consider more upgrades for speed like a 48v upgrade.

rjriley1 08-23-2009 08:14 PM

If want it to just run properly 6 ga. is fine for stock. I ran an aftermarket GE 4 hp motor in mine for about 2.5 years with 6 ga. and stock speed control. It ran faster than any 36V cart I've rode on. 8)The 14 year old speed controller finally died a couple of month ago. You really need the bigger gauge wire if you increase the amperage on your speed controller. I just did this past month. I upgraded the controller to 500amp, White Rodgers solenoid, and 4 gauge cables. I still run 36V (6 Trojan T-105's). You will be doubling your work if you don't get the controller and solenoid. You are disconnecting (removing) the cables anyway. 8)

mikesmotortoys 08-23-2009 08:19 PM

His cart is LIFTED - Yours is NOT. 4 gauge cables are a MUST for a lifted vehicle AND the first upgrade needed before anything else is added. Also, your cart is a TXT, his is a Marathon. We might as well be comparing a Yamaha to a Club Car here...

BIG E Z 08-23-2009 09:30 PM

His cart is LIFTED - Yours is NOT. 4 gauge cables are a MUST for a lifted vehicle AND the first upgrade needed before anything else is added. Also, your cart is a TXT, his is a Marathon. We might as well be comparing a Yamaha to a Club Car here

GOOD ONE MIKE:thumbup:

mikesmotortoys 08-23-2009 09:34 PM

I call it as I see it:thumbup:

rjriley1 08-23-2009 09:50 PM

Mike, seen alot of stock carts work fine with 6 ga. You are probably right about 4 ga on a lifted cart. You seem like you live on this website by the number of your posts. Mike as a businessman in the golf cart world, it would seem to be your best interest not to belittle your clients or possible future customers intelligence on whether its a Yamaha or a Club Car in your last statement. People don't know everything. Even with your experience you are are wrong (close) on my cart being a TXT...it is actually a 95 Metalist with a TXT body. Of course the chassis hasn't changed in several years and you should know that but not everyone does. Mike I'm fairly new here with a few posts and took your remark as "SNIDE". I'm not a little kid playing golf cart and don't need to take the ridicule. If I'm wrong my apology.

PIII 08-24-2009 08:10 AM

thanks for the info

mikesmotortoys 08-26-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjriley1 (Post 268807)
Mike, seen alot of stock carts work fine with 6 ga. You are probably right about 4 ga on a lifted cart. You seem like you live on this website by the number of your posts. Mike as a businessman in the golf cart world, it would seem to be your best interest not to belittle your clients or possible future customers intelligence on whether its a Yamaha or a Club Car in your last statement. People don't know everything. Even with your experience you are are wrong (close) on my cart being a TXT...it is actually a 95 Metalist with a TXT body. Of course the chassis hasn't changed in several years and you should know that but not everyone does. Mike I'm fairly new here with a few posts and took your remark as "SNIDE". I'm not a little kid playing golf cart and don't need to take the ridicule. If I'm wrong my apology.

RJ - I definately wasn't trying to be "SNIDE" to you:oops:. I was meerely wanting our question to be answered best as possible. I read your post somewhat saying that you run a 500 amp controller and 6 gauge wires - which worked for you, but I didn't want him to feel his first option was upgrading to a larger controller. I stand corrected on your cart being a Medalist in TXT skin, however, they are basically the same electronics. Much different than the electronics in a Marathon - hense my comment comparing a Yamaha to Club Car. I feel that it is my responsibility are a businessman to offer the "least cost" fix first. Yes, sometimes I answer "shortly", but no offense is ever intended. Please understand, his original post was about 4 gauge wires. His cart and your cart are two different animals - I only wanted to make sure he understood that:thumbup:

rjriley1 08-26-2009 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys (Post 270696)
RJ - I definately wasn't trying to be "SNIDE" to you:oops:. I was meerely wanting our question to be answered best as possible. I read your post somewhat saying that you run a 500 amp controller and 6 gauge wires - which worked for you, but I didn't want him to feel his first option was upgrading to a larger controller. I stand corrected on your cart being a Medalist in TXT skin, however, they are basically the same electronics. Much different than the electronics in a Marathon - hense my comment comparing a Yamaha to Club Car. I feel that it is my responsibility are a businessman to offer the "least cost" fix first. Yes, sometimes I answer "shortly", but no offense is ever intended. Please understand, his original post was about 4 gauge wires. His cart and your cart are two different animals - I only wanted to make sure he understood that:thumbup:

No hard feelings here Mike. Clarification on my end...I didn't run 6 ga wire with a 500amp controller...It was 6ga with all stock stuff except the aftermarket GE motor as the only upgrade... I didn't upgrade my wires to 4ga until I had the controller and high amp solenoid...My point was why do the work twice (You are practically undoing all the same connections) if the cart runs fine now...Do all your upgrades at once...But on the otherhand I didn't realize the 4ga cables would make that much difference on a lifted cart without controller upgrade. I'm still learning. 8)