Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Hard starting (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=24653)

Easygoer 10-15-2009 04:42 PM

Hard starting

First post, hi to all.
2000 TXT 295cc Robins engine cranks and cranks.
replaced plugs, air filter.
smokes a little when it finally does start. thx.

crash12888 10-15-2009 08:35 PM

Re: Hard starting

Welcome Ezgoer,
First, check to see if the choke is working.
Also after you crank it but before it starts, pull the plugs and see if they are wet.
If not, There is a fuel line that comes from the fuel pump and goes to the carb, remove the hose from the carb and stick it in a bottle or something to catch the gas. Push the pedal (spin motor) and see if fuel comes from the hose.
If it does you will need to remove the carb and disassemble it for a good soak/cleaning.
If it doesn't then you check your fuel pump. Inspect the hose that comes from the engine block to the fuel pump for cracks/air leaks. This is what pulses the pump.
If ok, check the hose from the pump going back to the tank for cracks/air leaks, don't overlook the filter, it could be cracked or plugged. If all is well, check the pick up tube in the tank, it might be clogged or even come off.

Easygoer 10-16-2009 11:20 AM

HEY CRASH....THANKS A LOT.
1. Plugs are wet.
2. Fuel pump checked...works fine.
3. all fuel lines are new and no leaks.
4. Fuel filter...replaced with new.

LATEST DEVELOPEMENT: I take off the cover from the air box
and blow air from my compressor and it starts like normal.
When engine warm it will start again just fine...but if it sits
for an hour or so....same ole problem of hard starting, until I blow
air again.

crash12888 10-16-2009 01:21 PM

Plugs wet when cranking and no start means either no spark or flooded plugs. I'm thinking you might need to pull carb and check needle and seat for seepage. it might be loading the cylinder and you have to crank until you clear it.
Check your float when you have it apart for gas in it from a crack but i'm thinking needle and seat.
After it sits over night might pull the plugs and spin it over to check for spark.

Easygoer 10-16-2009 02:41 PM

Carb is kinda what I was thinking....thanks so much....will pull carb and clean out cking all jetting too. THANKS A LOT FOR ur INPUT.

rusty 10-17-2009 06:24 PM

Hello Easygoer and Welcome to the forum.

Subarumouse 10-18-2009 09:44 AM

Hello,

Crash can be right.
But also look if the stationairy cirkuit in your carb is free.

When you blow air in the carb, it will or can take gas out of the mainjet so you don't need the stationairy cirkuit.
When your blowing:mrgreen:, the airspeed is higher as when you are just cranking at idlespeed.

Benno

WILD-BILL 10-18-2009 11:58 AM

Have you tried adjusting the valves yet?

RobbertCARRUS 10-21-2009 02:46 PM

When we have this problem we take of the head of the engine, 9 out of 10 time's the problem is the inlet valves... combined whit smoke and bad starting...

Goodluck!

mikesmotortoys 10-21-2009 02:51 PM

Hard starting is usually a sign of valves out of adjustment. The smoking is another issue...