Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G16 axle swap with G9? (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=86270)

brettrose99 10-02-2013 08:04 AM

G16 axle swap with G9?

Ok, I have a G16 electric and just bought a G9 gasser yesterday. The G9 is rusted bad, the frame is broke and has been repaired in more places than not. So I want to swap the rear end from the G9 to the G16. I have looked and have in my mind what will work, but if anyone can offer some pointers/tips/tricks, I would really appreciate it! Also the engine/clutches/trans are all in good working order. Should I use the G9 engine in the G16 swap or just go with a 13HP clone???

smallblock450sl 10-02-2013 06:01 PM

Re: G16 axle swap with G9?

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettrose99 (Post 938317)
Ok, I have a G16 electric and just bought a G9 gasser yesterday. The G9 is rusted bad, the frame is broke and has been repaired in more places than not. So I want to swap the rear end from the G9 to the G16. I have looked and have in my mind what will work, but if anyone can offer some pointers/tips/tricks, I would really appreciate it! Also the engine/clutches/trans are all in good working order. Should I use the G9 engine in the G16 swap or just go with a 13HP clone???

The G9 transaxle should bolt up onto the swing arm flanges, but the G16e swing arm doesn't have the tabs for the forward mount bolt, you could just weld some on. The G16e swing arm also doesnt have any motor mounting brackets. In my minds eye, you would need to cut out the battery tray framework, make motor mounting frame work to alow the clutchs to be in line. The G9 muffler should work (since G14's used a main frame like the G16), but the engine would need to be mounted to accept the clearance. You would also need some major wireharness refabrication. The G9 has it's starter/generator forward and at the bottom of the engine along with the solenoid. As for the Clown engine:mrgreen:, I understand you still need to use the starter/generator. If you are going to lift the car, I don't see a problem. Everything is possible, you just have to make it work.

stuff4mason 10-02-2013 07:22 PM

Yea smallblock, I was just looking at that today - swap the G8 to the G16. Looks like the cradles are the same width, but the G16 cradle is about 6 inches less in length than the G8's, which I believe is the same as the G9 right? The more I looked at everything that would have to be welded, and welded WELL, the more I decided this is a bad idea!

Bret, it IS possible, but you'd better make darn sure you can weld like a champ! Or, just put a clone motor in it, which would be easier and more power.

sho305 10-02-2013 08:38 PM

Putting the clone in there was the easy part IMO, hooking everything up is the hard part (cables/exhaust/airbox/etc). You can make mounts to hang the gen over the trans, many carts do this stock. All you need is some bar stock and a drill most likely. I laid two bars and a tube to lower the front of them, hit it all with the welder and had my clone ready to mount in no time. But it took me many days to complete the whole thing. Then again all I used is the clone bare engine and carb everything else was fabricated. But I don't mind doing that stuff.

Far as the clone I would drop a 420/440 clone in just because of why I did, it is much more power the cart is much more fun. It cost less than I figure a rebuild would doing the rebuild myself other than having the block bored. Though I have spent about the same (300) on other things like exhaust and ported/cut head and other things (airbox/tubing/bolts/etc) for it.

Its just a golf cart, you don't need any more weld than the factory used to make it. If you can't weld then learn or find someone who can. Suppose I welded for years at work so not a big deal to me, not meaning to sound like a jerk but can't see where weld would be a big deal for this.

Here this guy put a gen on: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/clone...gen-clone.html

brettrose99 10-09-2013 10:08 AM

Thanks for all the ideas and info! Looks like the gasser rear is a direct bolt up. just need to weld some new mounting perches in and re-drill, but that is a simple fix. I was thinking about using the stock belt/torque system on the conversion... I am definitely going to go with a clone motor. I was thinking the Harbor Freight special, 420 Predator... But I also see people talking about the Duromax motors.. Any suggestions as to which is more reliable? Both are basically as cheap as the other. Yes I would love a Vanguard, but I'm not that interested in putting that $$$$ into a motor at this time, so I will go budget build now.

Should I be looking into the Yamaha power kit for the clutch/spring replacement? Is it worth the money?

Anyone have an idea of average toque/max. speed I can expect from say:
Predator 420cc with stock clutches/stock rear end?

sho305 10-10-2013 09:29 PM

Are you going to be using a cart generator? If so you can buy whatever one, myself I prefer the Lifan which some of them sell. Mine was from home depot they had a good sale. You don't need a power kit as much with a larger engine because it has so much more power, but the clutches need to work well, if you trail ride a lot the umax spring is nice it keeps rpm up some so it responds quicker (in the secondary). A cut sheave is nice it lowers gearing on takeoff so they get rpm faster and better on hills and towing. I did a stock clone and mine has mods but stock cam yet. The stock one has car muffler and airbox and is jetted, that is all. It runs 31mph gps on a flat dirt drive and has about twice the power of stock it will spin the tires in dirt. They have 22s on them. My cart was going 34 on that drive then I put HD springs and 1.3 rockers on and it went 37 mph gps down a paved road. It took longer to wind out than the drive was, so had to try the road. Looking to put a different carb on next.

slonomo 10-11-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brettrose99 (Post 941334)
Thanks for all the ideas and info! Looks like the gasser rear is a direct bolt up. just need to weld some new mounting perches in and re-drill, but that is a simple fix. I was thinking about using the stock belt/torque system on the conversion... I am definitely going to go with a clone motor. I was thinking the Harbor Freight special, 420 Predator... But I also see people talking about the Duromax motors.. Any suggestions as to which is more reliable? Both are basically as cheap as the other. Yes I would love a Vanguard, but I'm not that interested in putting that $$$$ into a motor at this time, so I will go budget build now.

Should I be looking into the Yamaha power kit for the clutch/spring replacement? Is it worth the money?

Anyone have an idea of average toque/max. speed I can expect from say:
Predator 420cc with stock clutches/stock rear end?

Might look at this one instead....more power, better engineered....
http://vegascarts.com/webstore/index...oducts_id=1097

brettrose99 10-14-2013 09:24 PM

SHO:
I was looking at the Lifan and comparing to the HF 440cc... I have a 25% off for HF so the engine would be under $300 with electric start... HF seems to be the most popular... Still torn between those two

However, I'm really liking the Vegas cart engine... Is that designed with clearance in mind? Looks a lot more compact than the HF or Lifan.. Yes? and it's a complete motor, assembled

sho305 10-15-2013 06:03 PM

HF is often the cheapest with the coupons, if you want that. HD said lifan on it and about the same price at the time so I bought it. If you want to beef it up the Vegas carts 440 is worth it no doubt, it comes without the fuel tank and other stuff you will not need in a cart though some people do fabricate the stock muffler and such onto them in a cart, depends on what kind of install you plan to do. I've even seen people leave the gas tank on and use it, but most use the cart tank. Vegas has two 440s one is apart and higher compression the other is assembled. Some clones like the HD 409 dollar one have a 18A charge system you want if you don't use the cart generator. Vegas is working on getting them or can now, I'm not sure.

I'd say read over some of the build posts in the clone section here and see what you want to do. Most any of the clones will work ok if you plan to run it stock and not mess with it. Depends on your budget too. If you think you will keep the cart a long time or built the engine up some or take the governor off... then its well worth getting a better one, an extra 50-100 gets you a lot more up front as usual.