Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Swapping engines/G2/G9/G8/G14 (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=20101)

Robodad 09-12-2012 01:12 AM

Could my engines already be swapped ??

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a Yamaha G11AK utility cart for really cheap and it didn't run at all, I cleaned out the carb and fuel pump and tank, installed a new electric fuel pump and changed the oil and installed a new battery and it started right up but it smokes pretty bad. I then did a compression test and it pumped right up to 205psi but then leaked down pretty fast so I took the engine out and opened it up and found the valve guide seals to be leaking or so I think. With the compression tool screwed into the spark plug hole I rolled the engine over for about 20 or so seconds and then when I took the engine out there was about a tblsp of oil on top of the piston, also there is like a clean trail on the exhaust side of the head between where the valve seats and the guide (kinda hard to describe) The exhaust valve is on the right hand side and you can see the clean spot im referring to in this photo:

My question is that on the engine block it says its a JN5 300cm3 so will G11 parts fit or is this not the original engine and I have to get JN5 parts.

I'm pretty clueless as to what parts will work with this cart, I just want to be sure to order the right ones the first time LOL !!

Thank You for any information you can provide !!!

smallblock450sl 09-12-2012 06:40 PM

Re: Could my engines already be swapped ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robodad (Post 775219)
I bought a Yamaha G11AK utility cart for really cheap and it didn't run at all, I cleaned out the carb and fuel pump and tank, installed a new electric fuel pump and changed the oil and installed a new battery and it started right up but it smokes pretty bad. I then did a compression test and it pumped right up to 205psi but then leaked down pretty fast so I took the engine out and opened it up and found the valve guide seals to be leaking or so I think. With the compression tool screwed into the spark plug hole I rolled the engine over for about 20 or so seconds and then when I took the engine out there was about a tblsp of oil on top of the piston, also there is like a clean trail on the exhaust side of the head between where the valve seats and the guide (kinda hard to describe) The exhaust valve is on the right hand side and you can see the clean spot im referring to in this photo:

My question is that on the engine block it says its a JN5 300cm3 so will G11 parts fit or is this not the original engine and I have to get JN5 parts.

I'm pretty clueless as to what parts will work with this cart, I just want to be sure to order the right ones the first time LOL !!

Thank You for any information you can provide !!!

Yes, you'll need to order parts parts for a JN5 engine, although, as I recall, the valves and and valve stem seal (only on intake) are J38 part numbers. Piston/rings/head gasket will need to be JN5.

Robodad 09-12-2012 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallblock450sl (Post 775570)
Yes, you'll need to order parts parts for a JN5 engine, although, as I recall, the valves and and valve stem seal (only on intake) are J38 part numbers. Piston/rings/head gasket will need to be JN5.

OK Very good, thank you for your reply, I am curious if you know if that JN5 engine came stock in the G11AK or if I am working on someone elses project they didn't get done ?? Also if you can confirm the JN5 is the one year 300ccm engine put into the G14 carts ??

Just trying to determine what the heck I have so I can get the right parts !!

I appreciate your reply, Thank You !!

smallblock450sl 09-13-2012 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robodad (Post 775691)
OK Very good, thank you for your reply, I am curious if you know if that JN5 engine came stock in the G11AK or if I am working on someone elses project they didn't get done ?? Also if you can confirm the JN5 is the one year 300ccm engine put into the G14 carts ??

Just trying to determine what the heck I have so I can get the right parts !!

I appreciate your reply, Thank You !!

Yes in 1996 G11's had the JN5 engine. Yes 300cm like in the G14. I call them a 1 1/2 year motor, that was there run till the G16 engine came out

Robodad 09-13-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallblock450sl (Post 775787)
Yes in 1996 G11's had the JN5 engine. Yes 300cm like in the G14. I call them a 1 1/2 year motor, that was there run till the G16 engine came out

Thanks for the information, Ordered the parts I need, should be up and runnin in just a few days !!

Thank You very much !! :notworthy:

Robodad 09-14-2012 09:34 AM

Re: Swapping engines/G2/G9/G8/G14

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the buggy I have been working on, You may recognize it smallblock450sl, I picked it up near you in Purdy for like $100 !! :thumbright:

smallblock450sl 09-14-2012 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robodad (Post 776271)
Here is the buggy I have been working on, You may recognize it smallblock450sl, I picked it up near you in Purdy for like $100 !! :thumbright:

Yep, we (Cart Service Equipment) built that. We had a custom aluminum top frame built for those and a (PNW only) wrap around windsheild. Don't break the windsheild...they retail for 400.00 now!!!:thumbdown: Where you live Robodad?

Robodad 09-14-2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallblock450sl (Post 776305)
Yep, we (Cart Service Equipment) built that. We had a custom aluminum top frame built for those and a (PNW only) wrap around windsheild. Don't break the windsheild...they retail for 400.00 now!!!:thumbdown: Where you live Robodad?

I'm in Port Angeles, Last summer I bought an EZGO 3 wheeled cart for for my then 7yo son for $75 and put new batteries in it and he has ran the piss out of it and now my 13yo daughter and him fight over who gets to drive and on which day in which hour of the day etc... you see where I am going with this ...!

So I decided to get another one but wanted a gas one because those batteries are far too expensive to buy again, opened up CL and there it was super cheap and the guy said he had his mechanic look at it and couldn't get it to run so I took it home and cleaned out all the crystalized crap out of the fuel system and tore the carb all the way down and cleaned every piece and put it all back together and new fuel and filters started right up and ran fairly good but smoked really bad so now I am in the process of doing the rings and rod bering etc... just to see if it will quit smoking.

So thats the extent of my golf cart career LOL !! so I'll be askin more questions for sure !!

Oh I just got another golf cart last month its a Hyundai and put a new controller and F&R switch in it today and now it works really good, not sure if I should unload it now that its working or just hang onto it since I replaced some of the more expensive things.

Allen...

charliew13 03-21-2013 09:56 AM

Been reading but skipped over some of this thread. I was trying to figgure out what the output shaft size is on the jamaha motors. I have a bad motor available and need a variable drive pulley for a horizontal motor I haven't picked out yet. It's for a cc carryall that I'm converting to gas. I have the gas rearend and driven pulley and some of the other gas cc parts but no drive cvt pulley. If I have too I can get a machinist involved but I bet it is easier than that.

I know search, but I didn't do too well.

Charliew

bigblockyamaha 04-25-2014 03:54 PM

would any one out there know the part number for the 300 engine in a g14 needing new engine Thanks