Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Star and Fairplay (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Voltage Reducer Wiring - Star Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=111853)

B-Dubya 10-20-2015 10:17 PM

Voltage Reducer Wiring - Star Car

I have a 36v>12v converter from a 2007 Star that I need wiring layout for. There are a total of (4) wires. (2) red wires, one of which is fused, (1) black and (1) yellow.
I tried fused red to +36
Black to -36
I thought yellow would be trigger
I was going to test other red as +12 but when I landed yellow on +36 to "trigger" the converter I only succeeded in making a small arc welder and let all of the smoke out. I have one more converter to work with before having to purchase a new one. Does anyone know the wire layout?
Thanks
BW

crash test dummy 10-20-2015 11:31 PM

Re: Voltage Reducer Wiring - Star Car

i would try this
fused red ~ 36v +
black ~ 36v-
unfused red ~ 12v+
yellow ~ 12v-
use a DVM to test

kgsc 10-21-2015 11:45 AM

I have been working on a Ruff & Tuff with a converter with the 2 reds, a black and a yellow. On the diagram on the end it says black is the negative, yellow is voltage in and red is voltage out but of course it doesn't say which one.. I do know that in my harness the yellow wire gets voltage when the key gets turned on. I would think that would be a trigger.. Wiring on a R & T is strange and I believe I am going to have to pull the entire harness out of the loom on the drivers side to chase it down..

crash test dummy 10-21-2015 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Dubya (Post 1210745)
I thought yellow would be trigger
I was going to test other red as +12 but when I landed yellow on +36 to "trigger" the converter I only succeeded in making a small arc welder and let all of the smoke out

yellow sparked when it hit a positive connection

kgsc 10-22-2015 07:08 AM

Ctd, in my configuration the yellow wire is getting voltage from the harness when the key is turned on so I think in my case anyway the yellow is a trigger.

crash test dummy 10-22-2015 07:52 AM

most i have seen yellow is triger
but not 2 red wires
i did find this

http://www.goodluckbuy.com/images/de...u_103280_1.jpg

Sergio 10-22-2015 08:35 AM

When in doubt look at the gauge of the wires....

Using the same color for 2 different voltages would be very unusual, even for chinese stuff.

If You post a picture, it may help, but here is what I think:
Fused Red Wire: +36v input
Small Gauge Red Wire: +36v Trigger wire
Yellow wire: +12v output
Black Wire: common negative.

B-Dubya 10-23-2015 06:50 AM

Thanks for all of your input. My reasoning for my original guess of which wire is which was based of of wire size. With only one of the wires being smaller than the rest (red/fused) I assumed that would be +36. My guess of yellow being the "trigger" was only based on it being the odd color compared to conventional red+/black-. Who knows, the reducer may have been bad and we were right. The reducers were factory original on the star car that a friend took off some non-working carts he had at his work facility. I will try the other unit this weekend. If it doesn't work I'm sure ScottyB wouldn't mind selling me a new one.

kgsc 10-23-2015 07:07 AM

If you can get the cover off the converter the circuit board may be marked.

crash test dummy 10-23-2015 07:16 AM

could you post a photo of it ?