Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   89 gas ezgo clutch (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=10148)

mike marshall 11-12-2008 06:34 PM

89 gas ezgo clutch

It takes a lot of rpm before my 89 stock gas ezgo catches then moves, unable to give a small amt of gas and take off slow ,what needs adjusting/cleaned or replaced?
tell me what to do and how if it requires a lot of tear down. I have a lot of mechanical ability so help me any way you can.
thanks
mike

turbosundance 11-13-2008 04:00 PM

Re: 89 gas ezgo clutch

You will likely want to just replace the clutch at this point. That will require the tool to remove the clutch and a new clutch. An impact gun would be handy too.

mike marshall 11-13-2008 06:06 PM

thanks for the info

turbosundance 11-13-2008 07:05 PM

The secondary clutch can be disassembled and serviced but the primary should be replaced - unless it is a comet clutch which can be rebuilt.

rusty 11-14-2008 10:45 AM

Welcome to the forum mike marshall......................

Goat53 11-14-2008 05:05 PM

Mike what is the condition of your drive belt , sometimes a worn belt can cause eratic behavior from the driveline .

mike marshall 11-14-2008 05:30 PM

the belt look good,its just that i recently was at a golf corse and they use electric ezgo carts and as soon as you give it gas it goes ,ours you have to give a lot more gas and the clutch moves over tightens the bet jerks a bit and goes,its hard to start off slow.
thanks for all the assistance
mike

woodyking 11-14-2008 05:56 PM

You want to adjust the micro switch so that the ignition comes on as soon as the carb starts to open, you sound like your throttle is half open when the ignition comes on. That is what I've seen give a jerk start. Every cart I've had needed adjustment for this very reason. Properly set, it will run without pulling and smoothly accelerate when you give it a little more throttle. This is a quick easy adjustment of the big headed switch bolt. Do it with the key off, you can hear the click, set it to click the same time your carb linkage begins to move or slightly before. Watch the butterfly lever on top of the carb as you move the petal. Will fix your problem unless your low speed jet is clogged and not letting it run until you get beyond it. Woody

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike marshall (Post 111311)
the belt look good,its just that i recently was at a golf corse and they use electric ezgo carts and as soon as you give it gas it goes ,ours you have to give a lot more gas and the clutch moves over tightens the bet jerks a bit and goes,its hard to start off slow.
thanks for all the assistance
mike

mike marshall 11-14-2008 06:07 PM

the big headed switch bolt is located where ? this is my first cart and going to fix it up a bit, use to working on drag racing cars (mopars)and restoring antique gas pumps.
thanks
mike

woodyking 11-14-2008 07:06 PM

I'm not sure on yours, but it won't be hard to find. Most ezgos are on the panel right behind your right heel when seated, at the bottom on the backside. Listen for the click and follow your ears, or follow the linkage. It will have a little roller on the switch. I'm thinking yours may be like a 90 model with the big wonderful muffler above the starter/generator, that might make it a little hard to see or reach from above. I know most are in plain sight though. I love the quietness of those carts like that, but it makes it hard to get to stuff! Woody
Edit: Let me know where you find it.....