Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   2009 "The Drive" clutch problem (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=47983)

brnm 05-07-2011 07:09 PM

2009 "The Drive" clutch problem

Hi everyone. The clutch on my buggie is not releasing all the way and causing it to lurch forward or start hard. You can see by the video below. I can pull it back out by hand but as soon as I run the motor it stays engaged after its shut off.

I am not that mechanical but I was hoping I could get a little direction from on here. suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
B

essness 05-08-2011 08:00 AM

Re: 2009 "The Drive" clutch problem

I would say you have to remove it and open it up to see what's going on in there??

Smallblock should be along eventually and might have some insight into what it may be. But I would think either way your going to be removing the clutch and opening it up.

smallblock450sl 05-08-2011 09:55 AM

Since it is a 2009, it's still under warranty. Take it to a Yamaha dealer and let them replace it. They should also do the secondary update. We take off the secondary clutch, drill out some material on the splined hub end, install new collars and a new drive belt. It moves the clutch closer to the transaxle case, this puts the clutchs at a slight angle. Yamaha enginers came up with this to stop "chirping/grabing" when takeing off. Seems to work. PS, I'm not familure with a "Maxx" drive belt? Hope that helped.

nutboltguy 08-11-2012 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=smallblock450sl;563280]Since it is a 2009, it's still under warranty. Take it to a Yamaha dealer and let them replace it. They should also do the secondary update. We take off the secondary clutch, drill out some material on the splined hub end, install new collars and a new drive belt. It moves the clutch closer to the transaxle case, this puts the clutchs at a slight angle. Yamaha enginers came up with this to stop "chirping/grabing" when takeing off. Seems to work. PS, I'm not familure with a "Maxx" drive belt? Hope that helped.[/QUOTE

nutboltguy 08-11-2012 11:55 PM

The Yamaha Drive cart Has a Bad Primary & Secondary clutch in it from 2007- 2012.5, The only way to fix the problem is do drill out secondary clucth then add a spacer where you drilled to put it back to orginal spot put a heavy duty spring in secondary clucth, remove Primary clutch replace spring with heavy duty spring, this will make a strieght running belt like the OLD Yamahas were. Its to bad they came out with the YDR Drive model. Maybe they will go back to the G22 model.

DrBob 10-04-2012 04:33 PM

Before delivery, my 2012.5 EFI (Model JC0) had it's stock clutch replaced by a Rapid Response TEAM Clutch, #116929. The dealer said he he did this for long term reliability and smoother starts.

While it works well, I believe it tends to over-rev on starts and I think I can hear more noise running at constant speed vs the stock clutch on my buddy's cart. My Service Manager said that may be due to the new clutch design which internally uses metal balls which roll out in tracks to squeeze the clutch together.

masonneck 10-07-2012 01:10 PM

I replaced my clutch drive in my 2005 car all club car. Now it is hard to shift F & R. Any suggestions?

essness 10-07-2012 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masonneck (Post 786303)
I replaced my clutch drive in my 2005 car all club car. Now it is hard to shift F & R. Any suggestions?

i'd start by posting your question in the gas club car section rather than Yamaha.:thumbup:

will1546 02-17-2013 10:22 PM

Dr Bob
I had the clutch replaced on my 2012.5 and it solved the "grabbing" but I also think it is louder.

nutboltguy 09-01-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by will1546 (Post 840844)
Dr Bob
I had the clutch replaced on my 2012.5 and it solved the "grabbing" but I also think it is louder.

Yes the Yamaha cart all the parts are made in China now so you are going to have lots of problems, its to bad they changed to the YDR model, all kinds of problems. The G22 cart was a great cart, but know buddy wants to buy the new YDR model:thumbdown: