Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Lithium EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99)
-   -   Want 7 more Leaf Modules...knew this would happen (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=150053)

DaveTM 02-10-2019 01:27 PM

Want 7 more Leaf Modules...knew this would happen

Ok, I've upgraded to a 7 module Leaf battery set with 2012 year Leaf batteries.

For some reason......I knew I was gonna cave to this. :roll: I want to add another 7 modules so I can increase my amp\hr. I understand the "how to" do the connections......but how will adding another 7 modules perform when added to my existing 7 modules?

yurtle 02-10-2019 02:42 PM

Re: Want 7 more Leaf Modules...knew this would happen

As you know, I know NOTHING about lithium, however in general, you should double your range, reduce SOC drop for a given run, reduce voltage drop under load = maybe increased speed under load, and maybe increase available amperage = torque.

DaveTM 02-10-2019 03:01 PM

My only concern is by "mixing" batteries from different vehicles, is that or would that create any issues with the batteries?

Volt_Ampere 02-11-2019 09:42 AM

If you put the second set in parallel with the first set you will be fine even if they are different ages. Get them to the same voltage before connecting them though.

Sergio 02-11-2019 10:21 AM

I am assuming you mean you will disassemble your existing pack and build another one using new bus-bars with 2 modules in parallel for a 7S2P right?

If so just keep the modules from the existing pack together and the ones from the new pack together.

You will end-up with an odd pair that contains one module from each set, put that module on the middle near the temperature probe.

Do not try to place two "strings" of batteries in parallel as it requires a lot more electronics and safeties in place for a proper design.

izzybird 02-11-2019 10:28 AM

Are you going to need to source the old tuna can style modules to be able to make a single pack? Seems like you would need to make 2 separate packs if you get newer generation modules.

Volt_Ampere 02-11-2019 10:59 AM

I think you need to source the same style modules and put them in parallel with your existing ones. You can't really make two packs with different type cells.

DaveTM 02-11-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sergio (Post 1586518)
I am assuming you mean you will disassemble your existing pack and build another one using new bus-bars with 2 modules in parallel for a 7S2P right?

If so just keep the modules from the existing pack together and the ones from the new pack together.

You will end-up with an odd pair that contains one module from each set, put that module on the middle near the temperature probe.

Do not try to place two "strings" of batteries in parallel as it requires a lot more electronics and safeties in place for a proper design.

You have "confirmed" my thinking on this one. I realize there will be an "odd man out" so to speak, and I don't want to add another BMS to the mix. My 16 cell ZEVA will handle this kind of upgrade.

Frankly.....the only reason I even want to do this is so the Mrs. and I can travers the ATV trails in the Allegheny National Forest. Some of those trails are 30+ miles long and I'm doubting my 7 module pack will take me that many miles.

:thumbup:

DaveTM 02-11-2019 01:25 PM

So, if I have the "add-on" 7 module's thought out correctly, the setup would look like the connections in the photo below. My bus bars would now connect 4 terminals & two on each end, where my 7 module pack now connects two and there is a single one on each end.

However, how would the ZEVA "view" the cells now that there are 28 individual cells?

Maybe I need to look at the ZEVA documentation again.

https://i.imgur.com/Np2MGmRl.png

izzybird 02-11-2019 01:55 PM

Looks right to me, and your middle terminals would be connected in pairs.