Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Installing GTW Mach3 rear seats.. STUPID STUPID STUPID (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=180293)

Murby 10-21-2021 01:38 PM

Installing GTW Mach3 rear seats.. STUPID STUPID STUPID

2 Attachment(s)
So I started to install the GTW Mach3 rear seats I purchased back in December.

Got the OEM plastic removed, went to install two supports called "Bagwell Brackets".

When I went to put the nuts on the bottom, this is what I ran into (See pictures).

None of the hardware provided will adequately bridge the gap between the plastic ribbing.. If I attempt to tighten down the nut and washer, it is too small to bridge the gap between the support ribbing, but just big enough that it will squish the ribs and damage them.

What the heck? What moron designed this kit?? And what do you folks do to compensate? I'm thinking I might have to cut a piece of stainless bar stock to give the nuts and washers something solid to seat onto..

This is utterly stupid.. I paid $400 for this rear seat and these are the first two fasteners I'm putting in and there's already a problem?

And those two spacers that go on top don't seem right either.. it should just be a doughnut spacer without the step.

So what have others done? I have to wonder how many folks just smashed down the plastic in the back.

On a more positive note, I had stored the cardboard shipping box with the seat (unopened) in my barn.. The mice got into the box and tore up every piece of cardboard, the plastic baggies the fasteners come in, and the Styrofoam.. what a total mess.. and by some stroke of luck, they didn't touch the seats....

crash12888 10-21-2021 02:20 PM

Re: Installing GTW Mach3 rear seats.. STUPID STUPID STUPID

Ha Ha, Yes, sometimes you have to use the deepest parts of your imagination to figure these kits out. At least yours came with instructions...
Looks like the easiest way would be to grind a flat washer square to fit up in there and then a piece of round pipe to slide over the bolt or if they are threaded deep enough, just run a lock washer and nut to tighten.
Or shorter bolt.
It's pretty much just to hold the brackets unless you do a hitch or maybe jack it up from the foot board.

Murby 10-21-2021 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crash12888 (Post 1858497)
Ha Ha, Yes, sometimes you have to use the deepest parts of your imagination to figure these kits out. At least yours came with instructions...
Looks like the easiest way would be to grind a flat washer square to fit up in there and then a piece of round pipe to slide over the bolt or if they are threaded deep enough, just run a lock washer and nut to tighten.
Or shorter bolt.
It's pretty much just to hold the brackets unless you do a hitch or maybe jack it up from the foot board.

I ended up just cutting a couple of stainless steel plates to fit the area..

Strangely enough, that was the only real problem installing the entire kit.. got away lucky with that as it only took 20 minutes to fabricate and drill the plates and they provide a nice strong seating surface.

Here's a picture.

Tom47 10-21-2021 05:56 PM

Good job, Murby! That'll work great.

Fairtax4me 10-21-2021 09:23 PM

The ones I have I put the bolt in from the bottom. Far longer than they need to be so the thread sticks up some, but with a bed/seat on the cart you really don’t ever see them anyway.
I do like the plate idea. :thumbup:

Capt. Lenny 10-22-2021 05:57 AM

Seems like most aftermarket accessories, cart or vehicle have to be re-engineered by the end consumer. Sad but true, always a rush to production.

crash12888 10-22-2021 06:05 AM

Those plates are big enough to spread the load so well thought out.:thumbup:

Murby 10-22-2021 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crash12888 (Post 1858602)
Those plates are big enough to spread the load so well thought out.:thumbup:

Thanks! Yup, 11ga plate should keep things strong.