Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Delayed starting (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=43410)

dennyg637 01-22-2011 04:09 PM

Delayed starting

I have a 1996 gas Club Car. Lately when I depress the gas pedal there is a several second delay until the engine fires. The engine used to fire immediately when I pressed on the gas pedal. I have replaced the battery and spark plug, air filt, Oil & filter, etc. Any suggestions?

Jimmie 01-22-2011 06:53 PM

Re: Delayed starting

Check the belt for wear and slip, you may also check the starter/generator brushes.

GLEEMO 01-23-2011 07:30 PM

bump and welcome to BGW

revoarcher 01-25-2011 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dennyg637 (Post 509569)
I have a 1996 gas Club Car. Lately when I depress the gas pedal there is a several second delay until the engine fires. The engine used to fire immediately when I pressed on the gas pedal. I have replaced the battery and spark plug, air filt, Oil & filter, etc. Any suggestions?

Does the engine turn over and not fire or doesnt it start turning over for several seconds?

dennyg637 01-26-2011 06:26 PM

Does not turn over for several seconds.

crash12888 01-26-2011 06:59 PM

First make sure when you push the pedal the starter is not just spinning in the belt for a second or two.

You need a GOOD set of jumper cables with quality clamps.

Take one half of the pair of jumper cables and clamp it to the starter/generator ground and the other end to the neg battery post and try it.
If it spins right away you have a bad ground cable or cable end or connection. Need to replace it.
If no change,
Take the other half of the jumper cables and clamp it to the starter/generator post coming from the solenoid, touch the other end to the positive battery post, try it several times.
If it spins over imediately each time you have a bad battery cable or cable end issue on the positive side.
If it still takes several seconds each time with the jumpers then you need to have your armature turned and brushes replaced.

dennyg637 01-26-2011 07:21 PM

Thanks. I'll give it a try this weekend.

bud light 01-26-2011 07:29 PM

Tighten up or change your stater/gen. belt.

.45 ACP because shooting twice is silly.

dennyg637 01-27-2011 11:12 AM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will work on cart this weekend and let you all know my results. Thanks again.