Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Yamaha (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   G1's got spark but no start! (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=34095)

RedNeck Rhino 06-09-2010 12:07 PM

G1's got spark but no start!

I'll try to make this as detailed as possible.
I recently replaced my carb with an oem replacement, and replaced my air filter with a K&N. I couldn't mount the filter directly to the carb cuz it would hit the throttle spring assembly so I used the stock hose that went to the airbox and clamped the filter to the airbox end. Probably doesn't matter but like I said "detailed". The old carb didn't have an extra hose, the new one does. I'm assuming this is the oil hose and I should probably plug it cuz I premix my fuel. After the replacements I noticed that it took a little longer to start than before, but it did start and ran well so i figured the carb just needed to be adjusted. Now it won't start at all. It will hit a lick every now and then, but seems to just flood out. I pulled the plug and it was wet but sparks like a champ. So now here come the questions.
Is it the oil hose left open?
Does the carb just need to be adjusted?
Is it the K&N filter?
Do I need to jet my carb because of the K&N filter?
If I jet my carb do I need a better muffler?
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

thanks, Ben

TheNewGuy 06-09-2010 06:07 PM

Re: G1's got spark but no start!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedNeck Rhino (Post 415582)
I'll try to make this as detailed as possible.
I recently replaced my carb with an oem replacement, and replaced my air filter with a K&N. I couldn't mount the filter directly to the carb cuz it would hit the throttle spring assembly so I used the stock hose that went to the airbox and clamped the filter to the airbox end. Probably doesn't matter but like I said "detailed". The old carb didn't have an extra hose, the new one does. I'm assuming this is the oil hose and I should probably plug it cuz I premix my fuel. After the replacements I noticed that it took a little longer to start than before, but it did start and ran well so i figured the carb just needed to be adjusted. Now it won't start at all. It will hit a lick every now and then, but seems to just flood out. I pulled the plug and it was wet but sparks like a champ. So now here come the questions.
Is it the oil hose left open? Should be capped off.
Does the carb just need to be adjusted?Yes
Is it the K&N filter?See below.
Do I need to jet my carb because of the K&N filter?Yes, you are giving it more air, should give more fuel.
If I jet my carb do I need a better muffler?It may need more flow.
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?4,629

thanks, Ben

:thumbup: :mrgreen:

RedNeck Rhino 06-09-2010 08:26 PM

Re: G1's got spark but no start!

Thanks Ron.
I came home from work and capped the oil hose. I finally got the thing to start up, but it's still not right. Seems to surge and then bog over and over then run good then bog, you get the picture. I'm gonna try to get it up on some jack stands this weekend and yank that black and white wire loose that makes it keep running so maybe I can tune it a little better. I was planning on cooking the muffler this weekend anyway.
I know I'm not gonna find a jet kit for this carb so how big do I need to drill it out?
I didn't really want to swap mufflers, but if I have to I think I know where a blaster pipe is that I can probably get cheap, if not free. I just didn't want to have the extra noise.

thanks again, Ben