Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric EZGO (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   04 TXT Electric rear axle noise (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=31076)

gfox 03-31-2010 12:13 PM

04 TXT Electric rear axle noise

Cool forum, glad I found it.

I have an 04 TXT electric that makes a combination grinding to clicking or popping noise in the rear axle. I dropped the oil pan and inspected the differential and it look good. Nothing funny or unusual in the oil. I changed the oil to a synth 30 wt. I think the prob may be out on the tip of the axle in the bearing area but not 100% sure. Pulled the drivers side tire and brakes and drum, it all looked good. How do you get the bearing out?? It looked "ok" I guess once I removed the grease seal but I couldt really tell. There is more "moaning" and "grinding" going on in that area than Tigers Hotel room during US open week!

wilster734 03-31-2010 12:38 PM

Re: 04 TXT Electric rear axle noise

was it making the noise before the oil change?

wilster734 03-31-2010 12:40 PM

sounds like you need to tell Tiger to put his putter away and grab a shop rag you got work to do.:thumbup:

gfox 03-31-2010 10:39 PM

Yes, the sound was there before the oil change. I pulled the cover that goes over the motor so I can hear while I ride and I'm 99% sure the sound is drivers side rear axle, spindle/ bearing area. I gotta get that bearing out ....I dont know what else is in there, if anything??

wilster734 04-01-2010 07:39 AM

I am pretty sure those bearings in there are sealed bearings and you have to get the axle retaining ring out to get the bearing out. i know the retaining ring can be a bear to get out sometimes.i know you said 99% sure but sometimes it can fool you. might want to put your cart up on blocks,you will have to do this anyway, and get another person to operate the throttle while you try to listen for the noise with a probe, old school use a wooden dowl, just my suggestion because it would pinpoint the noise a little better and give you a better start to your repair.:thumbup:

FIXEROFCARTS 04-01-2010 09:15 AM

Most of the time it is a axlw bearing noise. The C clip on that car is easy to remove with a pair of C clip pliers. remove the clip and pull the axle out. If you do one side, do the other side too.

gfox 04-01-2010 01:22 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I had the C clip out but felt I needed to "dig" the bearing out not knowing the axle was held in only by the C clip. I figured in order to get the axle out, I would have to remove some sort of fastener at the differential side of the axle.
Thanks! Thats what i get for "figuring"

wilster734 04-01-2010 01:24 PM

The bearing was trashed then i am assuming. Good to here you fixed it and good luck.:thumbup:

gfox 04-03-2010 05:54 PM

Actually, I just fixed it today! It was the rear bearing, it was ready to take a s%$t anyday, it was bad! Thanks for the help! I hope I can pass some of what I just learned to others who may have the same problem.
Thanks.

don7070 05-28-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gfox (Post 387584)
Actually, I just fixed it today! It was the rear bearing, it was ready to take a s%$t anyday, it was bad! Thanks for the help! I hope I can pass some of what I just learned to others who may have the same problem.
Thanks.

Which bearing? I have the same problem. Thanks.