Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Electric Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   deka 12v batteries (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=60247)

ben_redhawkrun 02-15-2012 05:23 PM

deka 12v batteries

Trying to find out whether I can use Deka 12v batteries in a 48v Club Car Precedent (2006). Dealer is saying no- only compatable batteries are the Trojan and US Battery 12v. Saying that the OBC charges at a different algorithm.......POSSIBLE????

Stevegrmich 02-15-2012 06:30 PM

Re: deka 12v batteries

Anything is possible with golf carts . . . :lhmo:

Brushpup 02-16-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben_redhawkrun (Post 688717)
Trying to find out whether I can use Deka 12v batteries in a 48v Club Car Precedent (2006). Dealer is saying no- only compatable batteries are the Trojan and US Battery 12v. Saying that the OBC charges at a different algorithm.......POSSIBLE????

I would have had to ask him on what log the variance was. Ten...twenty? :lol:

simple man 02-16-2012 08:51 AM

This is true, but- - - does it mean that you can't use what ever batteries you want? I honestly don't think so. I just read posts yesterday on the versions of OBC's and basically the newest version will cover more types of batteries. I would imagine the worst that could happen is that you wouldn't get a full charge and would have to start the charge cycle again. I'm currently using Deka batteries in my cart, but it's a series with no OBC. I'd wait and let some others who are experts with the OBC come on! :mrgreen:

shadowman 02-16-2012 09:22 AM

i,m no expert on OBC,s other then i have a love hate relationship with them..........but if they are golfcart batteries i,m gonna say the OBC can,t tell the difference between a trojen or a deka and if it were me i would use them.....now wether you like them is a whole nother ballgame...................................8)

erict 02-16-2012 12:16 PM

At this point I may just look into a charger like this charger and bypass the OBC and be done with it...:?

shadowman 02-16-2012 04:01 PM

erict as you have read many of my post you know i,m no fan of that OBC however if its working theres nothing better at taking care of your batteries.......do some homework before you buy a charger i know they say 30 years but if it goes bad in a year you can,t even repair it...............and for that price which isn,t all that bad you should be able to buy 2 OBC,s................there have been several members here who have went that route only to have charger go bad and be told its junk can,t repair it...............i hate OBC,s but i have to give them credit when they work they work well................................8)

cheapjeep2 02-16-2012 04:46 PM

The OBC does not work off of algorithms like other chargers, it will work with any brand of deep cycle battery intended for golf cart use. While they can be problem matic, if they are working well you can't beat them.

erict 02-16-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowman (Post 689176)
erict as you have read many of my post you know i,m no fan of that OBC however if its working theres nothing better at taking care of your batteries.......do some homework before you buy a charger i know they say 30 years but if it goes bad in a year you can,t even repair it...............and for that price which isn,t all that bad you should be able to buy 2 OBC,s................there have been several members here who have went that route only to have charger go bad and be told its junk can,t repair it...............i hate OBC,s but i have to give them credit when they work they work well................................8)

Good feedback:thumbup:

erict 02-16-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheapjeep2 (Post 689190)
The OBC does not work off of algorithms like other chargers, it will work with any brand of deep cycle battery intended for golf cart use. While they can be problem matic, if they are working well you can't beat them.

That's where I am confused:? David said the newer versions charge the batteries correctly. I have the original OBC in my cart but don't know the version yet but I assume it's the an older version being a 2005. I am going to replace the original Trojans with US batteries and didn't consider the added expense of a newer version OBC to charge the batteries to their full potential.