Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Columbia ParCar (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   HEI conversion question (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=165220)

HookSet 06-13-2020 04:16 PM

HEI conversion question

I finally got all my stuff to get the HEI conversion done on my cart. I have it all wired up, it is making blue spark but not firing the engine. I got the points decently timed but didn't spend much time on it because I didn't think it was as critical with the HEI, guessing I'm wrong at this point.

I also left the condenser in place, I can remove it too, but didn't think it would hurt anything.

Thoughts on why it isn't firing?

Lochlin 06-15-2020 08:22 AM

Re: HEI conversion question

You shouldn't have to adjust that HEI at all. Set it in the middle and be done with it. That you are getting spark means that your HEI is doing what it is supposed to do. Your issue is only certainly something other than spark.

You need to do a compression check and a fuel check. Compression is what it is. See if you get a few combustions with starting fluid or some fuel mix injected directly into the cylinder. If you do then check the fuel draw sticky at the top of the HD / Columbia forums.

HookSet 06-15-2020 08:49 AM

I dug into this yesterday for a while. I was wrong about spark, must be something wrong with my HEI build.

I get one spark as I hit the microswitch, but it doesn't continue to spark. I used a bread board just to make sure it all works like it should and I need to go back though it all and make sure its right. I bet I have something in the wrong spot.

One thing that got me a bit screwed up was the transistor, I am still not 100% sure I have those three connections right. I assume that looking at the flat side it is left to right emitter, base collector and you ground the collector but some clarity on that would be good.

Lochlin 06-15-2020 11:37 AM

To be honest, I dont know the exact set up. It should be in that one diagram in the sticky. For sure, 1 spark means something is amiss there. The external resistor is critical as well.

HookSet 06-15-2020 05:00 PM

Yea, I used the simplest setup. I have the right resistor and transistor too, I'll go through it one of the nights this week and get it figured out. This is the one thing that has plagued me since owning this thing, the ignition...I am very tempted to get this fixed and sell the darn thing and get to a 4 stroke. There is a dealer close by that sells refurbished 4 strokes a few years old for $2500 with lights, back seat and all, that's very tempting to just know it is gonna work.

HookSet 06-15-2020 08:27 PM

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I get it to spark consistently then when I put the spark plug wire to the one on the motor it starts acting up firing only when I let off at the micro switch.

Lochlin 06-16-2020 08:53 AM

Make no mistake, the newer carts are much less tedious than the old ones. That's just the way it is with anything mechanical / technical. I happen to be a collector / restorer of antique golf carts of which I have 11 with the 11th being under restoration now. It's a hobby for me. As such, I have come to appreciate the work and reward. At my camp there are hundreds and hundreds of "new" carts driving around. They are cool and I won't speak bad about them. When I am cruising around in something old, though, man do those old carts draw the attention.

HookSet 06-16-2020 11:24 AM

Thanks Lochlin, you've been great and I like the idea of a simple older cart too...I just don't have the time for it to not run. I manage a very large John Deere dealer location, have a pumpkin farm and a hay operation, I just need it to work!

Would you be willing to take a picture of your board layout for me? I bet it's something I'm doing wrong there. I am assembling on a bread board to get it right and then was going to build an actual soldiered board.

Lochlin 06-16-2020 05:18 PM

I am no grease monkey. I have an office job and wear a suit and tie to work every day although I have been working at home since COVID19 struck. I have always been a bit mechanically inclined though and love to tinker with things.

My carts are all 100 miles away at our campsite. I will be there tomorrow, though, and should be able to snap you a couple of pics.