Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1991 Club car backfiring and running rough (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=80341)

kraushouse4 05-18-2013 10:31 PM

1991 Club car backfiring and running rough

I have a 1991 Club Car with a KF82 motor that was running very slow and rough and had a rod knock, so I swapped the motor with one that I had taken out of my other cart that was running great when removed. The cart is still acting the same even after the swap. I am wondering if it could be the rpm limiter and if so how do I disconnect the ground wire for it? Could it be something with the fuel pump? What else can I check? I switched the carb and generator when I swapped the engines as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated before I drop this cart off the nearest bridge!

Springbok 05-18-2013 10:49 PM

Re: 1991 Club car backfiring and running rough

As far as I know the rpm limiter is part of the coil. Did you use the same coil or a different one from the replacement motor?

Also, I'd make sure that your fuel pump pulse line is clear. It's the hose that hooks up to the bottom port on the fuel pump. Take it out and blow some air through it or something. If you're not getting a good vacuum from the motor due to oil or debris in that line, that could cause your fuel pump to underperform.

kraushouse4 05-19-2013 09:39 PM

I used a different coil, have cleaned the carb, cleaned the fuel pump and changed all the fuel lines as well. When it runs it just keeps bogging down and the rpms go up and down. Have adjusted the governor in and out and left it off and it still runs the same. I don't know what else to check but would really like to get it running for Memorial Day weekend.

Springbok 05-20-2013 05:44 AM

Well if you've used two different coils, and cleaned/changed all the fuel lines (included the pulse line I mentioned earlier) than it sounds to me like it could be something inside the carb (unless you also have two carbs and the motor has the same issues with either one). Lots of intricate, moving parts in there. If you're out of ideas than I'd think about replacing it.

kraushouse4 05-20-2013 03:06 PM

Ok so I have deduced that no or very little fuel is coming out of the fuel pump. My filter is almost dry. I checked the pulse line and even replaced it. Any suggestions?

Springbok 05-20-2013 08:07 PM

Bad fuel pump maybe.

kraushouse4 05-20-2013 09:11 PM

I am gonna try replacing the fuel pump and see if that makes any difference. I don't know what else to try?

lockman1 05-21-2013 06:58 AM

Check that the fuel pump vent screen (the little circle on the face of the fuel pump) is clear of dirt and debris,
Brush off the dirt and debris with an old toothbrush, then lightly spray it with spray carb cleaner.

:wink:

clubcar5 05-21-2013 07:56 AM

You can pull the gas line off where it attaches to the carb and try starting it, you should have a nice steady flow of gas shooting out. If not, prolly a clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump.