Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum

Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/index.php)
-   Gas Club Car (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Will not go into Reverse (https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=18181)

tiggntaz 06-11-2009 05:48 AM

Will not go into Reverse

I am looking at getting a 99 carry all but the guy said that the f/r pin in the rear gear case is bad. YOu can hit the switch to R and the cable moves but the cart will not go into reverse.

Any idea what he is talking about and is this a hard fix?

Monsterezgokid 06-12-2009 03:17 PM

Re: Will not go into Reverse

Does it still engage in fwd properly? And have you attempted to adjust the linkages. what you can do to see if its a probem with the rear end, is , take the back service panel off, unclip the shift rod from the transmission shift lever, and try to manualy shift it into reverse.. does it click in gear, and reverse work?

I had a very similar issue with a 98 club car, and if its what i think it is, then its not too big of a job, but you will need to pull apart the rear end. this can still be done with the whole axle in the cart.

highrollinmopars 08-18-2009 05:45 PM

My 92 club car today decided to lock up in forward and nuetral has turned into reverse, reverse is still reverse. Any ideas people? Yeah I did unhook the linkage and manually shift it. Any input would be awesome. Where's Scotty?? He's normally pretty quick on this stuff.

bioniccartsandcustoms 08-18-2009 10:50 PM

There are two brass synchronizer rings in the rearend of the gas cart CC part # 101981001. One for forward and one for reverse. Under extreme load or if oil gets low, these will seize to the Input Gear assembly #101980801. This can cause the problems you described. Also there are a few thrust plates that can almost disintigrate to nothing and cause the cart to jump out of forward or reverse as soon as you try to accelerate.
If it is just the brass rings, you can pull the rear apart and sometimes clean up the pieces with emery cloth and they will work fine. Also had to tear into rearend again when quick fix didn't work. If its the synchro. rings, just replace them. :thumbup:

bioniccartsandcustoms 08-18-2009 10:54 PM

Whats cool with yours, it should have a separate case for the forward/reverse. If I'm not mistaken, those carts used a electric rearend with the trans. bolted to it. This would make the job easier:thumbup:

highrollinmopars 08-18-2009 11:04 PM

Ive been searching the interweb all night and all I can find for parts is the bearings and seals. Where can I buy the rings, and synchro's? You are correct mine is a separate case from the axle. Thomas

bioniccartsandcustoms 08-18-2009 11:13 PM

As always, check with the site sponsors first.:thumbup:
If they don't have it, I am sure they can tell you where to find it.

bioniccartsandcustoms 08-18-2009 11:17 PM

Also the part#s I listed are for the newer unitized trans axel. Parts for yours may be a different number.:thumbup:

highrollinmopars 08-22-2009 09:31 PM

Ok guys check this. I called Tom at Cartpartsplus and told him what my cart was doing. He told me that this was a common problem and that the Club Car reps tell you to drive it as fast as you can in whatever gear it will still go in and to throw it in the other gear. I did just that and holy crud it worked. My cart is good as new. Ive been wheeling it hard all day and have had no trouble since. Just thought I would pass this on.